Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,253,403 times

Advertisements

Not to be offensive but Jackie Collin's is hardly considered true erotica. True erotica is a little more cerebral than your typical bodice ripper type books.

Try reading some Anais Nin - "Little Birds" in particular.
She's really quite the character. Very intersting and quite liberated for her time. Maybe that comes from her European upbringing. There was a movie many years ago called "Henry and June" and it was about the relationship she had with Henry Miller and his Wife June and it was based one of Anais Nin's diaries.

Also ....
DH Lawrence - "Lady Chatterly's Lover". Quite scandalous for the time and again not quite so obvious as more modern novels. But quite erotic in it's theme and tone.
Henry Miller - "Tropic of Capricorn" or "Tropic of Cancer" both are quite graphic in their depiction of his sexual life.
Anne Rice is pretty adept in the genre as well, although, I am most definitely not an Anne Rice fan. I just don't care for her writing style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:32 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,380,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Have you read any of the Nexus Confessions books?
No, I haven't heard of those. I'll look them up.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,564,152 times
Megan Hart writes beautiful erotic novels, and strangely enough, they actually have plots! My favorite so far is "Broken". I've also read "Deeper", which has paranormal elements, and "Dirty". However, if you're sensitive to the "C" word, you might want to skip her books.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,333,792 times
It depends on how you define erotica. I enjoyed de Sade a long time ago, and Henry Miller. Now I prefer that such things be part of a (real) relationship. I enjoy well written romances, mysteries, sci fi, and fantasy - it can and does fit into any and all of them. The real trick for the writer is knowing when to make it part of the story, and knowing when to let the reader's imagination have something to work with, too. That can and does take place in the same work as the more explicit scenes.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times
A resounding no here. I don't read any kind of erotica or books along those lines though I read a few of the more well known books long ago. I'm not a prude, just not interested.
I don't like it when there is a lot of sex in mysteries, sci fi whatever.
I don't like the sex descriptions in anything that isn't billed as such (so that I can avoid it). I find it sort of embarrasing and wonder if the author is lifting details from their own sex life.
I don't get it really. If you want sex go have some.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't get it really. If you want sex go have some.
It’s not quite as simple as that…

In the books it’s the description of the sex, the fantasy of it all.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM

422 posts, read 1,363,484 times
Zane is an author who you might like. She wrote Sisters of APF, Sex Chronicles, Skyscraper.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,717,856 times
I like Camille Anthony. I don't like Maya Banks. Have you tried Lora Leigh?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,740,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Jackie Collins, Nexus Confessions etc.

Can you recommend any?
For erotica, nobody writes better than Emma Holly. She's really in a league of her own. Forget Jackie Collins..! Anyone can write a hot story filled with naughty dialogues, but Emma Holly's novels actually have plots, her characters are multi-dimensional, and when writing her hot scenes, she doesn't 'tell' her readers what's going on, instead she 'shows' it.

She has some excerpts posted on her website, check her out: Excerpts (http://emmaholly.com/excerpts.htm - broken link)

Another author I would highly recommend is Robin Schone: Robin Schone Erotic Romance Novel Author

Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,398,828 times
One of the most erotic novels I've read was this erotic fairy tale:

Amazon.com: The Twelve Dancing Princesses (9780373605163): Nancy Madore: Books

This book made me feel hot!!

Twelve princesses, each possessing riches, grace, power and dignity. Yet despite the sister's charmed lives - and despite the handsome men who desire them - they are woefully unfulfilled, frustrated and aching for something more. As a powerful wizardess helps to solve the riddle of their discontent, each princess discovers creative - and naughty - ways to satisfy her passionate cravings and desperate needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books