Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferred method of reading?
Book (physical) 79 71.17%
E-book 32 28.83%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,091,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
DandJ, thank you. It is what it is and I'm happy I've had over 50 years playing my piano. We are looking for a family to donate it to before the move so some other child can learn to love it as I did. And we've downloaded over 10,000 books ... so far. One summer I started at one side of the (small-town) library and tried to read my way to the other before the summer was over. I actually made it halfway. It was not only great for me but it really helped my kids as I included them in the every other day library visits.

We are taking 2 keyboards so I can still "mess-around" a bit.
You are a FABULOUS inspiration... in so many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,271,746 times
I don't have an e-reader, though I've looked at them in-store and friends that have them. I prefer the actual book, but I have so many that it is getting out of hand, and am starting to find myself wondering how much easier it would be to have all of these books stored on an e-reader, just for space-saving's sake.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,005,543 times
A real book. I like to read while soaking in a very hot tub of water, smoking a fine cigar and sipping on fine brandy.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM

578 posts, read 1,094,310 times
Love my nook. I was sure I'd hate it. But actually I poor through books. It saves my place, is light and the books are alway less expensive.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,184,895 times
Annie, don't want to highjack the thread so will send you DM.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,120,900 times
Quote:
I was very much real books until we started seeing how many boxes I was packing for the big move. Downsizing from 4000 sq ft to 800. making decisions which books to keep was difficult, especially since I often re-read years later. But there was a bargain offer and my birthday was coming up, so my husband bought me a Kindle. It's been less than 2 months and I'm a convert. I can keep enough books with me that I never run out of reading matter. I LOOOOVE my Kindle.
I can completely relate to this! I have literally thousands of "fun" books in paper format, mostly hardbacks (plus probably another 1,000-2,000 academic books). I have dozens of bookcases with at least a couple in every room in my house, but I STILL had hundreds of books packed in boxes because I had no room in my house for them. I reluctantly bought a Kindle for the "fun" books ... and was a convert within a day. (I must say, the "flicker" as you turn each page annoyed me to no end for about the first hour -- to the point where I was thinking, "I am going to return this tomorrow!" But I got used to that after probably the first hour and rarely notice it any more.)

I have started replacing some of my favorite fiction authors (whom I collected in hardback) with the Kindle version. I either sell the hardbacks (in bundles of several books) or if there are no takers (or the prices are ridiculously low to sell on amazon, like a penny), I donate and get a tax deduction. The only exceptions are some authors that I just love and want to keep everything in hardcover (usually in addition to the Kindle versions), or some authors whose books aren't on Kindle yet.

Quote:
What I love - no more trying to buy a book in the Barcelona airport - they are all in Spanish which I don't read - because I read both books I'd taken with me for our 2 week stay. I spent 4 hours in the car repair place yesterday, finished one book and just jumped to the next one without having to lug 2 books with me just in case I finished one.
I went on a 10-day trip to England/Wales in 2010, before I had my Kindle. I took several books with me and had read them all within a week. I ended up buying more books on my trip that I then had to lug home. Today when I travel I just take my Kindle and have virtually endless reading material!

I should add, though, that I couldn't answer the poll because it completely depends on the type of book. I still buy academic books (for research and teaching), cookbooks, how-to books, antique books, etc. in paper format -- I don't think they work well on the Kindle unless they are text only, and most of those types of books aren't.

I should also add that I used to be one who said "oh no I must FEEL the book in my hands in order to appreciate it." Now I know that FOR ME, that is just silly.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 AM

10,217 posts, read 17,920,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I just got a kindle about a month ago and now it won't charge. I debated a long time between the kindle and the nook and now I'm disappointed with the kindle. Amazon is going to send me a new one but now I'm nervous that this is going to happen again. I'll give it one more chance and then I'm getting the nook.
It's unlikely it will happen again. I haven't heard of this problem before so if it's not a known problem in many Kindles, it's highly unlikely the replacement will have the same problem. Millions of people own perfectly functioning Kindles - the odd problem here and there occurs with all technology.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM

150 posts, read 298,340 times
The best thing about my e reader is I can increase the size of the type. This makes for easier reading for older eyes.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,972,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
A real book. I like to read while soaking in a very hot tub of water, smoking a fine cigar and sipping on fine brandy.
Well, I like to do the same. (Sans cigar, and substitute nice red for the brandy). Just slip my Kindle into a zip lock bag and no worries about dropping it into the suds!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM

289 posts, read 570,873 times
Both actually. I love my nook & a physical book. When we travel I can take my nook with me. Along with a book or 2. I can throw my nook in my purse & that way I will always have a book to read. I also keep 1 book in all 3 cars at all times so if I ever forget my book or my nook I still have something to read. Plus I like taking long baths & refuse to use my nook in the bath tub or while laying out in the back yard (I don't want it to get too hot in the sun). Also I can get books at good will or yardsales for cheap or I can download books from other places than barnes & noble for free & sideload them to the nook.

So see really each has their advantages. And I love both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books