Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 06:40 PM

15,599 posts, read 15,724,217 times

Advertisements

I'm a very critical movie-goer, but I was hugely impressed by the movie "American Fiction," so was curious about this interview with the author of the original novel. I'm planning to read his new alternative viewpoint re-telling of Huckleberry Finn, although that's normally not my kind of book.

Percival Everett Can’t Say What His Novels Mean
The author of “Erasure” is renowned for his satires of genre, identity, and America. But his great target may be language itself.

In 1992, Everett bought a ranch in the Banning Pass, between Los Angeles and Palm Springs, where he grew more than a hundred varieties of roses and tended to horses, donkeys, and mules. Neighbors were always bringing injured animals to his doorstep. By Maya BinyamOne day, he found a baby crow that had fallen out of a tree. Everett cared for the crow until it was strong enough to fly, but the crow would simply fly in a loop, land beside him, and start to walk. When Everett tried to drive to town, the crow followed his truck, flying in tandem with his moving face. Everett built a perch out of PVC and stuck it in the cab so that they could travel around together. “I kept trying to get him to go out and have crow sex,” Everett told me. “I said, ‘Listen, you’re not going to get much satisfaction here.’ ” At the time, Everett was working on “Erasure,” and the crow would shuffle down his arm and peck at the keys.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...verett-profile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books