Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but when each turned 16-17, I had my sons read The Catcher in the Rye and neither of them were crazy about it. I've talked to other young people who didn't understand the big deal about Catcher.
They liked Red Sky At Morning, another coming of age story, a bit better.The protagonist in that novel is more a "regular guy."
Perhaps Catcher feels a bit dated? I dunno. Certainly when it was first published, it did things and went places that had not *quite* been done before.
Speaking of coming-of-age novels, my daughter swears I said "Here, it's your generation's Catcher in the Rye" when I lent her my copy of Douglas Coupland's Microserfs.

I think she took me seriously, because she stole my copy when she left for college...to major in Computer Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Default cil--travel---thanks

<I would recommend Paul Theroux or Tim Parks for armchair travels. Also, the Travelers Tales Collections are excellent. Google Travelers Tales and you can take your pick of destination and enjoy all styles of writing: humorous, poignant, etc.>

Thanks.

Good to know what to 'Tell Google'. I love Google.

sls

Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 AM

431 posts, read 393,615 times
Classics are different to everyone, and here's mine:

1. Clan of The Cave Bear - Jean Auel
2. White Oleander - Janet Fitch
3. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
4. Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
5. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
6. Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
7. The Diary of A Young Girl - Anne Frank
8. Light in My Darkness - Helen Keller
9. The Bible
10. Excalibur - Bernard Cornwell

Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 AM

381 posts, read 1,685,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Sunshinebaby
I don't know how old you are, but when each turned 16-17, I had my sons read The Catcher in the Rye and neither of them were crazy about it. I've talked to other young people who didn't understand the big deal about Catcher.
They liked Red Sky At Morning, another coming of age story, a bit better.The protagonist in that novel is more a "regular guy."
Perhaps Catcher feels a bit dated? I dunno. Certainly when it was first published, it did things and went places that had not *quite* been done before.
Hey,

I'm 18. But, it wasn't because the book is dated that I didn't like it. I have read many books that were written in or about a much earlier generation that I did like and could relate to. As I said before, I think that the nature of the book appeals to those with a different personality than me. I guess I'm more of a "go by the book" kind of person, and the idea of doing most of the things which the main character did (or thought of doing) is actually quite distastul to me .

But, I suppose I can appreciate the authors ability to write a story that was before its time. Certainly the majority of people today are not shocked or appalled by its contents. Perhaps I will read it again sometime to get a more well-rounded view. I think I had certain expectations the first time I read it, and didn't really know what it was going to be about.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Speaking of coming-of-age novels, my daughter swears I said "Here, it's your generation's Catcher in the Rye" when I lent her my copy of Douglas Coupland's Microserfs.

I think she took me seriously, because she stole my copy when she left for college...to major in Computer Science.
I got Microserfs for my kid but I don't think he got into it all that much.
We do agree on some stuff though.
Some books my sons and I all like:

Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (young boy in Ireland)

Mary Stewart's Arthurian series: The Merlin Trilogy, and afterwards, The Last Enchantment

Sunshinebaby, I understand what you mean about relating (or having trouble relating) to the main character. I loved some of the things he said about his roommates and friends and such though. Steve, the Secret Slob.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Default very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittle View Post
Classics are different to everyone, and here's mine:
From time to time I read Robert Louis Stevenson--'The Lighthouse Stevensons'--about his family is a book I plan to read.

~~~~~
Robert Louis Stevenson Stories

Treasure Island 1883
Across the Plains 1892
A Child's Garden of Verses 1885
Kidnapped 1886
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1886
In the South Seas
Songs of Travel and Other Verses
Essays in The Art of Writing

Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky

If you can follow them, the Icelandic Sagas can be fun. However, be prepared for 903853 generations of people with extremely similar names. If you can keep it all straight, they are great.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM

184 posts, read 901,954 times
Now, I'm not a huge book-reader (I average about 2-3 a year as I'm dislexic) but the best book ever, that most americans should read is: Kiterunner

http://www.khaledhosseini.com/

Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,501 times
Thanks for all these great book suggestions, everyone. I've already filled a page with the titles I'm going to check out.

Cil, thanks for understanding. It's been a few years since I've read it, though, so I will have to take another look at it soon. Maybe my perspective will have changed slightly. I'll let you know

Keep 'em coming, guys

Old 02-12-2007, 03:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Default Surprised no one mentioned Cervantes?

"Don Quijote" is justifiably one of the great accomplishments of Western Civilization and also, unlike many classics, great fun to read if you have a good translation. (Someday I'll read it in the original, when I have far too much time on my hands). Still just as poignant 400 years later. (If Cervantes was alive today, Quijote would be a blogger)

Re: "Catcher In The Rye", great book but I think it might not have as much appeal to people who aren't familiar with New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books