Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:48 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times

Advertisements

I love to read and need help finding another good book or two to enjoy.

Some Authors I like and have read recently are-
Nora Roberts/ JD Robb - read all of the available titles
Anne Rice-read all of her books
John Saul- read a few here and there
Danielle Steele- read a few here and there
JK Rowling-read all of her books

I am looking for some ideas on authors I have not read. I enjoy a good book that keeps me glued beginning to end. I do not mind love stories as long as they are not too sappy. I love suspense and mystery. I do not mind science fiction or fantasy. I am really looking forward to getting some ideas from you all. Thanks in advance for all of your input! Happy reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I am looking for some ideas on authors I have not read. I enjoy a good book that keeps me glued beginning to end. I do not mind love stories as long as they are not too sappy. I love suspense and mystery. I do not mind science fiction or fantasy. I am really looking forward to getting some ideas from you all. Thanks in advance for all of your input! Happy reading!
William Kent Krueger. Start with IRON LAKE, then work your way forward. They are generally shelved with the Suspense/Mystery books, but there's a little bit of everything. Romance, suspense, a murder mystery, even a little bit of the supernatural and Native American folklore.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:27 PM

That sounds like something right up my alley. Thanks I will add him to my list!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Default Others to Consider

Dick Francis was a prolific author of adventure/mystery fiction often based on English steeplechase racing. He has over 20 novel in print and many have main characters who have a loose association with horse racing, but are involved in other pursuits like merchant banking, gold trading, wine production, etc. The characters' main interests are very well researched and quite informative.

If you want to take a shot at mysteries involving sailing and maritime pursuits, try Sam Llewellyn. Very twisty plot lines.

If American detective fiction is more to your liking, Robert B. Parker's ongoing series involving Boston PI Spenser might be worth a look. Spenser is an urbane, sophisticated philosopher who happens to wear a size 48 jacket and possesses a thunderous left hook. The books were the basis of the 80's TV series Spenser For Hire starring Robert Urich. Good, tight reads with excellent descriptive passages and dialogue that may cause you to laugh out loud.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Looking at what you've already read, I wonder if you might enjoy Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. A basic description would be very well-researched historical romance, with a touch of fantasy (time travel is involved.)

Old 02-25-2007, 09:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Have you read any Wally Lamb? He wrote "She's come undone". I'm not a reader by any means (an I'm a librarian, ha!), but that book kept me interested.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 AM

My list is growing longer and I love it! I cannot wait to go to the library this week! Thank you for all of the ideas!

Domergurl- I have read Wally Lamb, but it was the other book. I like it a lot so I think I may just try this one too! Thanks!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:55 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
dandevder
FYI the latest JD Robb is coing out very soon
I really like
James Patterson
he has 2 running series
alex cross
and the womans murder club
plus his other books are really good too.
I have his new one "step on a crack" waiting to be read.

There are so many others i could recommend lol it may just be eaiser to take close up pictures of my bookshelves
I have everything in alphabetical order by author and if the book is part of a series they are in order also

Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
dandevder
FYI the latest JD Robb is coing out very soon
I really like
James Patterson
he has 2 running series
alex cross
and the womans murder club
plus his other books are really good too.
I have his new one "step on a crack" waiting to be read.

There are so many others i could recommend lol it may just be eaiser to take close up pictures of my bookshelves
I have everything in alphabetical order by author and if the book is part of a series they are in order also
For James Patterson, do you have to read them in order to understand them? If so which is the first book and so on? I am also looking forward to JD Robbs new one. I just love the characters in that series.

P.S. Wanna come arrange my bookshelves? They are a mess! I just cannot get that organized!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:41 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
the alex cross and the womans murder series yes
I am not sure of the first alex cross (there are many but not as many as the jd robb series )
the womans murder club is
1st to die
2nd chance
3 degree
4th of july
5th horseman
lol this is from memory let me go check
yup thats right lol
i am missing 1st to die, lent it to somone who never returned it. lol I keep saying I am going to give my friends library cards.

rest of his books can be read whenever

Another author I like is

John Lescroart yup a series type
these should keep you busy for awhile lol
karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books