Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Are there any previous books that need to be read to appreciate the full context of the Dark Tower series? For instance, I understand Randall Flagg (the "villian" in The Stand) appears at various times in the series. Don't know if you need to have an appreciation of these characters ahead of time or not.
If you haven't read The Stand, you should. One of King's best books. For sheer fun, I think I probably still prefer 'Salem's Lot or The Shining, but honestly The Stand is probably the best thing he ever wrote in terms of plot, characterization, and theme. And it's just plain really scary in parts.

The ending is a tad weak. Not bad. Just not GREAT like the rest of the book is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,308 times
I recently started reading my first Stephen King book in about 18 years. During my adolescence, I loved all of the horror stories at that time - Carrie, The Shining (only book I've ever read that scared me), Firestarter, etc. I had the whole collection in the late 80s. That ended with reading Tommyknockers in 1990. Was it 900 pages? Just monstrous. And I couldn't even tell you know what it was about other than some vague discovery of alien life.

Recently, someone told me to watch the movie "The Green Mile". I couldn't find the movie, but I found the book. I'm about 2/3 through now - what a great read! I read the first 100 or so pages the first evening, it was one of those "couldn't put it down" scenarios. I'm keen to see the movie once I finish the book.

I do have one comment on the writing style of The Green Mile, and it's only because I'm picky and notice things like this. The mouse's eyes are perpetually referred to as "oildrop eyes". Really, once or twice would have been enough with a unique descriptor like this.

Reading the book came at the right time, as I'm currently battling a tiny mouse who has taken residence in my kitchen. He sure doesn't leave "turds" neatly in a distant, hidden place as described in the book. Ah, fiction.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If you haven't read The Stand, you should. One of King's best books. For sheer fun, I think I probably still prefer 'Salem's Lot or The Shining, but honestly The Stand is probably the best thing he ever wrote in terms of plot, characterization, and theme. And it's just plain really scary in parts.

The ending is a tad weak. Not bad. Just not GREAT like the rest of the book is.
The person who recommended The Green Mile to me said The Stand is her favorite SK book. If it was published before 1990, I've read it and don't remember. I'll be checking to see if it's available at my library.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Are there any previous books that need to be read to appreciate the full context of the Dark Tower series? For instance, I understand Randall Flagg (the "villian" in The Stand) appears at various times in the series. Don't know if you need to have an appreciation of these characters ahead of time or not.
for the first three books of the DT series, I'd say just read The Stand, since I think Randall Flagg does make an appearance w/in the early part of the series. I've heard some people say it may help to read Eyes of the Dragon since that also seems to feature some form of Randall Flagg, but I honestly can't remember how that story would fit into the others

the major connections w/ his other works don't really start becoming obvious until book 5, Wolves of the Calla. not to give away too many plot points, but I'd suggest keeping the following titles on hand and flipping through them as you read the DT series:

-The Stand
-Salem's Lot
-Insomnia
-Hearts in Atlantis
-Everything's Eventual (short story collection. look for the title story and "Little Sisters")
-Rose Madder (I think there's a connection, not 100% sure)
-The Talisman and perhaps the sequel, The Black House

oh, and I big piece of advice before you start reading the series: time permitting, try to read an OLDER version of The Gunslinger, then the NEWER, revised version of it soon after. I haven't read the newer version yet, but I heard a lot of revisions were made from the older one to better tie in w/ the rest of the series (since there's a HUGE gap between the publication of the original Gunslinger and the publication of the last book)

Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
I use to be a fan of Stephen King until is statement that you either study and go to college or you end up in Iraq as if to say people who volunteer to serve in the military are stupid. Guess Mr. King was unaware that military officers have college degrees and many enlisted service members have begun their college education while serving in active duty. Not one penny of my money will ever go to supporting him ever again.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I use to be a fan of Stephen King until is statement that you either study and go to college or you end up in Iraq as if to say people who volunteer to serve in the military are stupid. Guess Mr. King was unaware that military officers have college degrees and many enlisted service members have begun their college education while serving in active duty. Not one penny of my money will ever go to supporting him ever again.
when did he say this? have a link? sure he wasn't being facetious?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
for the first three books of the DT series, I'd say just read The Stand, since I think Randall Flagg does make an appearance w/in the early part of the series. I've heard some people say it may help to read Eyes of the Dragon since that also seems to feature some form of Randall Flagg, but I honestly can't remember how that story would fit into the others

the major connections w/ his other works don't really start becoming obvious until book 5, Wolves of the Calla. not to give away too many plot points, but I'd suggest keeping the following titles on hand and flipping through them as you read the DT series:

-The Stand
-Salem's Lot
-Insomnia
-Hearts in Atlantis
-Everything's Eventual (short story collection. look for the title story and "Little Sisters")
-Rose Madder (I think there's a connection, not 100% sure)
-The Talisman and perhaps the sequel, The Black House

oh, and I big piece of advice before you start reading the series: time permitting, try to read an OLDER version of The Gunslinger, then the NEWER, revised version of it soon after. I haven't read the newer version yet, but I heard a lot of revisions were made from the older one to better tie in w/ the rest of the series (since there's a HUGE gap between the publication of the original Gunslinger and the publication of the last book)
Yes, The Eyes of the Dragon (very underrated) does add a bit more to the Randall Flagg character. It's much different from some of his early gory works. It's more of a fantasy that even younger kids can get into the story.

While I think the Dark Tower series can be easily read on it's own, things get much more interesting when you read his other stories and see how other characters and concepts add to the mythos.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I tried reading The Gunslinger, maybe 15 years ago. Couldn't get into it. But you guys are making me consider it again! Especially because it has ties to other stories, I like that.

The Stand is one of my top 5 all-time favorites. And I love it also from a sociology POV. I read it every few years. Last time my brother was visiting he took my copy with him because he couldn't put it down.

And Eyes of The Dragon (again, read more than 15 yrs ago) was very good. And different.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I use to be a fan of Stephen King until is statement that you either study and go to college or you end up in Iraq as if to say people who volunteer to serve in the military are stupid.
That isn't exactly what he said. He said for low-income kids with no education, the armed forces was one of the few options they had. He never called all soldiers stupid.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 PM

202 posts, read 358,975 times
I haven't read an SK book in a long time, but I read and enjoyed:

It
Needful Things
The Dead Zone
Carrie

As far as It is concerned, though I read it four years ago, as a junior in high school, I loved it. It completely terrified me, but I thought it was a wonderfully written book.

The first and only SK book I have read and disliked is The Long Walk. I liked it up until the end, which was, IMHO, highly disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books