Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:37 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,557,517 times

Advertisements

I have a question for all you long time readers. When a movie is made from a popular book, do they ALWAYS mess it up? I've never really been much of a reader, so never before have I seen a movie based on a book that I've read. Just saw My Sister's Keeper, and had read the book several months ago. Oh. My. Gosh!!!!! Is that normal? When I saw the previews for The Time Travelers Wife, I thought "I need to hurry up and read the book before that comes out!" But now I'm wondering if I'll just end up ticked off again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
I still don't understand how one of the most creative fantasy books ever, The Golden Compass, got butchered when it got made into a movie. part of the reason was b/c the film maker bowed to religious zealots and edited out many of the powerful religious elements that were a part of the stories. then they ruined the ending by "Disney-fying" it to make it all sweet and happy. the special effects were awesome and I liked a lot of the actors that were casted, but the movie still flopped

I liked the movie, but I was disappointed how much of "Slumdog Millionaire" was different from the book. there were certain elements in the books I wished had been in the movie (ie, the rabies story) that were dropped. plus, they made one character a horrible villainous person in the movie.

I think Pete Jackson did an AWESOME job w/ the Lord of the Rings books and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Del Toro doesn't mess up The Hobbit. some of the Harry Potter movies were okay, in particular #3. movies based on Stephen King books are often hit of miss and I worry how my favorite SK books of all, the Dark Tower series, would fare as a movie(s) (rumor is JJ Abrams is looking adapt the books to film, so I have some faith in him)

Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Some movies come out flashier and more interesting than the book itself. Sometimes plot elements are left out, and it becomes harder to capture internal struggles on film. Yet sometimes, it can be a good thing to see happen. Stephen King, being a prolific writer, has managed to get many of his stories made into films. Some of those films were better than his books, which are sometimes overly wordy and tedious. Three pages to set a scene?

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 AM

587 posts, read 409,937 times
Don't you just wish they'd have a disclaimer on the title, like 'based on...such and such book'? My favorite book from the 70's was made into a movie and I was so excited to see it. And then so disappointed. It was What Dreams May Come, and while I usually enjoy Robin Williams, felt he was so miscast. While it was not bad, it did fall short of the spirit of the book. But it was big budget and I suppose they needed big star power. They have to sell that movie to more than the avid book readers. So sometimes they take huge liberties with a film.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstar77 View Post
Don't you just wish they'd have a disclaimer on the title, like 'based on...such and such book'? My favorite book from the 70's was made into a movie and I was so excited to see it. And then so disappointed. It was What Dreams May Come, and while I usually enjoy Robin Williams, felt he was so miscast. While it was not bad, it did fall short of the spirit of the book. But it was big budget and I suppose they needed big star power. They have to sell that movie to more than the avid book readers. So sometimes they take huge liberties with a film.
I enjoyed the movie, What Dreams May Come. Got it on VHS from a friend who thought it might help me through my grief after my husband died - and it did. Never knew there was a book, though. Who's the author so I can look for a copy of the book? (Sometimes reading a book after having seen the movie can make the experience even better.)
Found it in a few minutes searching on Ebay! Should have my copy in about a week.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 06-28-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: further info

Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
My favorite example of screwing up a book is when Six Days of the Condor was made as Three Days of the Condor for the movies. Anyone with half a brain, in my opinion, would have changed the movie title to at least try to hide the fact that you lost 3 days from the book. I was ticked off before I even saw it.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
It would be almost impossible to make a movie that stays completely true to a book. They are different media. People who read spend hours upon hours reading a book, savoring well-written passages and enhancing the characters in their own imaginations. A film is extremely time limited and since each reader's perception of characters is influenced by their own imagination/experience, the character's portrayal on film is bound to disappoint. With regard to Stephen King - he tends to be very unhappy with films made from his books. He produced a couple (a remake of The Shining and another one Rose Red maybe?). I found them to be long and tedious movies - he couldn't let go of any detail. I do think a few films do a reasonably good job of trying to reflect the original story. Ones that stick out to me are To Kill a Mockingbird, The Kite Runner, Seabiscuit....I agree the Harry Potter series was OK not exceptional. I heard that LOTR was well done but I couldn't say as I never read the books. I found the movies beautiful visually but not being a fantasy fan, they were a bit long for me.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I think the statement loosely based on the novel by so and so . cause the books dont really follow the movie to good .

Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,708,717 times
I read Pet Cemetery & saw the movie later. I loved the book but the movie was pretty bad.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It would be almost impossible to make a movie that stays completely true to a book. They are different media.
Absolutely true. Books and movies transmit story in entirely different ways.

So I don't object to movie's making changes to a novel's story per se. Sometimes it's just necessary. (Lord of the Rings already mentioned was a good example.) Another example would be L.A. Confidential. Great book where the filmmakers had to "interpret" or "adapt" the gist of the book and did so brilliantly.

What I do object to is filmmakers completely changing the nature of the story for no apparent reason.

Dracula is a good example. Good book. It's never been turned into a good movie that even approached the central themes of the novel. And the tendency of the past few film versions to try to turn it into some sort of tragic romance is just silly.

On the other hand, I can think of lots of so-so to downright bad books that have been turned into fantastic movies: JAWS, The Godfather, Forrest Gump, Blade Runner, Minority Report.

But I can think of other cases where the movie departed pretty radically from the book, but both book and movie were great. The Shining has already been mentioned. There's also A Clockwork Orange and Jackie Brown and Apocalypse Now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books