Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:27 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
The hardest thing is how boring it is and how there is nothing to do at night.
I live in NYC. I am not bored in Boston. I am MORE bored in NYC!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM

596 posts, read 982,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

True. In the largest cities it can sometimes be more difficult to have easy access to certain amenities (due to physical and financial reasons) than in smaller cities. The residents in and around these huge cities may take comfort in the belief that these amenities "are always there if you need them," but the fact of the matter is that they may be doing less/having less fun than their counterparts in smaller cities.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 AM

503 posts, read 598,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
All of my friends that have lived both in Boston and NYC tell me otherwise...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
All of my friends that have lived both in Boston and NYC tell me otherwise...
Boston is 84 square miles with 630,000 people. NYC is 468 square miles and 8.3 million people. You can't compare the two. For its size, Boston has a ton going on. Boston is better compared to Staten Island or maybe even Queens (though Queens more than 3 times the population of Boston alone).

Does Boston have as much going on as Manhattan or Brooklyn? No - but why would it? They're huge. It is on par with the smaller boroughs, though.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM

34 posts, read 38,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've lived in both SF and Boston and don't get the lack of vibrancy claims about Boston. Really don't. You just have to know what neighborhoods to go to, and for me, they're not downtown. I'm not saying SF is bad, it isn't, but couldn't give a darn about restaurants... how often am I going to eat out anyway paying SF rents. Maybe that is the difference. Saying Boston (area) is dead at sunset is nuts, otherwise I wouldn't be out seeing bands / drinking etc to after midnight every weekend.
Because Boston rents are so much cheaper than SF

Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 PM

503 posts, read 598,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Boston is 84 square miles with 630,000 people. NYC is 468 square miles and 8.3 million people. You can't compare the two. For its size, Boston has a ton going on. Boston is better compared to Staten Island or maybe even Queens (though Queens more than 3 times the population of Boston alone).

Does Boston have as much going on as Manhattan or Brooklyn? No - but why would it? They're huge. It is on par with the smaller boroughs, though.
Even Queens is better than Boston, particularly in ethnic food selection.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties66 View Post
Because Boston rents are so much cheaper than SF

Oh, they are. I was paying a lot more in SF than I am in Boston. I couldn't find a room in SF for what I pay for my one bedroom here. Not in any similar type of neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh, they are. I was paying a lot more in SF than I am in Boston. I couldn't find a room in SF for what I pay for my one bedroom here. Not in any similar type of neighborhood.
I concur. One of my distant relatives sold a ranch home that entirely needed updating in the silicon valley for over $600K at the bottom of the real estate curve. I believe the buyer was an investor who knew they were going to get some big dollars renting it out.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:45 PM

30 posts, read 40,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I grew up in MA and live in San Antonio now. About the drivers...yes I agree Boston drivers are very aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as pick up truck drivers down here. They will tailgate you for sport and try to run you off the road. There is also a very high accident rate down here in comparison (imo). There 's more of a carelessness down here. Now, about the social scene. Bostonians are actually very friendly and geniune compared to Texans. It seems many people down here expect others to be impressed by their money or their education. That does not fly in Boston. If you're not going to make an effort to meet people, they will not approach you. If you do make real friends in Boston, they will stay almost freakishly loyal to you and not be afraid to tell it like it is. If you're one of these hypersenistive southerners or midwesterers, don't move to Boston...pure and simple.

Yup. I can't say it any better than this, though I've said the exact same things many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston