Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM

15 posts, read 64,667 times

Advertisements

I wanted a thread that could breifly cover everything you could possibly want to know before moving to Boston. Especially coming from a much smaller city, for example, Tucson, Az. What to expect and how to adjust. Different weather, people, housing, transit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,035 times
Default Things to know about moving to Boston

Well, what did you find out about Boston?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM

701 posts, read 1,569,287 times
I'm pretty sure this is a thread for the newly settled and lifelong Bostonians to post in so that incoming residents can learn from them.

I'll start (even though I haven't moved here yet). I randomly met a businessman sitting in the lobby of a hotel back home in Texas. He told me that I would need:
1. Wool leggings. As best as quality as I can find them because I can quite tiny and get cold easily.
2. A humidifier! This one was out of left field for me, but he told me that the winters up there get very dry to the point of possible nosebleeds. He suggests having one to keep the humidity level in the apartment comfortable.
3. Wait and buy your coats and boots at your destination.

While in Boston, I was stuck Copley Square because the bus was late, and this nice guy helped me and my friend jump on the right train to get back our hotel (we didn't realize how close it actually was to where we were). His advice:
1. Be always on the lookout for the buses and trains when crossing because often the drivers go to fast and don't register that you're crossing until too late. The ghost bike on Huntington made a lot of sense.
2. The buses are inefficient and the Green Line is the worst line in terms of timing. Make sure you always plan ahead.

That's all I have for right now. Hopefully more people will come and chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: