Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:40 PM

787 posts, read 780,407 times

Advertisements

Decided to get out of my comfort zone at Wild Rover on Saturday. Clubs aren't typically my scene, but the sports league I am in had a party there. I actually had a better time than I thought I would have.

I am certainly getting more comfortable using the T and walking around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,003 times
Default Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh View Post
Would you consider Boston a boring city? I've been living around Boston my entire life and am still amazed by some of the basic things it lacks.

1) Lack of anything open for 24 hours. I know the Charles st CVS is open 24 hours but I don't know much else that is...

2) Lack of much ethnic cuisine. I don't believe there is an Indonesian or filipino restaurant in the area. I know that just in Queens NYC, there are plenty of them. It seems like the only food that is reputable here is the Italian food, but i have had pretty crappy Italian food at numerous locations in the south end. Korean food is also subpar compared to the locations I've been to in flushing and koreatown in NYC.

3) the shopping is pretty much limited to Newbury St and Copley/Prudential, and the choices there are limited, as there is a lack of staple clothing stores like Top Man and Uniqlo. Downtown crossing is a joke. I was just in nanjing this summer, and the shopping in the Xinjiekou section blows prudential out of the water in terms of both the quantity and quality of the stores (and the food courts in the basement were so much better than the prudential food court). There were several malls in that section all jam packed next to each other in Nanjing, each several stories tall. It was awesome.

4) abysmal karaoke scene. There are really only two karaoke studios (golden leaf and doremi) which are pitiful and expensive compared to those in Toronto or Shanghai or pretty much any other city.

5) Nightlife is also subpar, with everything ending at 2AM

6) Also the lack of anything resembling Pacific Mall near Toronto or the endless string of Asian markets and diversity in Markham, Ontario.

Obviously Boston has some pros, but aside from the touristy things, there really isn't that much to actually do in Boston. Would you agree?
there's a lot to do in south i.e.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:21 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
abysmal karaoke scene still cracks me up

Old 05-10-2017, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,003 times
Default Ok

There is a lot to do in south Boston You have the Boston market. You have T"s and commuter rail available

Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron79 View Post
There is a lot to do in south Boston You have the Boston market. You have T"s and commuter rail available
What is Boston Market? The fast food chain?

Riding the T isn't my idea of "a lot to do."

Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
What is Boston Market? The fast food chain?

Riding the T isn't my idea of "a lot to do."

I believe they are probably speaking of the Boston Public Market, but for me that isn't "something to do" as much as a place to grab some food.

But then again, I guess some people see shopping as "something to do" too.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I believe they are probably speaking of the Boston Public Market, but for me that isn't "something to do" as much as a place to grab some food.

But then again, I guess some people see shopping as "something to do" too.
I think he said "South Boston." Is there even a market there?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 AM

No idea. South End as SoWa which is nice, maybe they got the two locations confused.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No idea. South End as SoWa which is nice, maybe they got the two locations confused.
Ah SoWa would make some sense. It's definitely more fun than Boston Public Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston