Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,362 times

Advertisements

Part of me was considering writing a response defending Boston. Another part of me was considering going the slightly more mature route and give the OP some advice.

I've decide to go with door three, and tell the OP that it looks like it's time for you leave. We're sorry that Boston is a not a place that suits you.

I've lived in three other states besides Mass and three other countries besides the US. There are always newcomers and/or temporary residents who hate their new new home and think things are better where they came from. Usually, there was nothing wrong with the location, but something wrong with the individual. Admittedly I probably exhibited some of those characteristics at times, but now that I'm in my thirties I have no interest in dealing with people who are probably just miserable about their own lives.

If you don't like Boston, you can leave or make the best of it; but please don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
I'm from L.A. When I moved to Atlanta, I expected to find Atlanta ... or at least discover it a little bit at a time.

I've been to Boston. I think the thing that would drive me crazy is the preponderance of college students. They were too noisy for me, even when I was in college.

I have only one observation to make, and I think it's still person specific. The further north you go in New England, the "frostier" people get. I've heard that exact same term used. SW Connecticut people, adjacent to NYC and in "middle class" communities are the salt of the earth and will chat you up. Once one gets to Boston, this is less likely to occur. I've known 4 people from there - one from Needham, one from Danvers, one from Raynham, and one from a north suburb who went to UNH. All of them were really brittle when it came to talking about certain things, and 2 of them found talking about the price of things insufferable ... just everyday talk about the price of houses, rents, cars, and air tickets, as if it was like talking about sexual techniques. Come on. I love finding deals or getting frames of reference for how much things cost.

That said, I have been treated decently in Boston. I also "look" like I could fit in. I was addressed informally as if a local, and then *surprise* "You're from California?"

I have always had it set to low on my radar screen because I don't know how my "B.S.er" personality would go over. In NJ, this wouldn't worry me. In New England, it would.

I know it can get cold. However, there are so many cool things to do - the Cape, Maine, Newport RI, and it's accessible to both NYC and Montreal. I think it's a beautiful city with beautiful surroundings.

There's only one L.A. Some people can never leave, and some people can.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Actually, in some ways, my response was appropriate and not at all rude.

I grew up in Boston but have called LA home for almost 15 years.

I like and dislike both cities for various reasons. There is no fair/even comparison.

One of the things I dislike about Boston is the tendency for natives (and to be fair, yes, I don't know anything about charolastra's background) to think nothing superlative exists outside of Boston, even if they've never left the city or Mass.

Boston and/or Mass doesn't have the "first," "biggest," "oldest," etc. of everything. I know that's hard for some natives to swallow.
Well, Charolastra is not a native Bostonian, so she didn't deserve it.

Besides, as far as thinking your home is the best at everything, people don't want to think they are missing something by not living somewhere else, hence regional boosterism.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
I feel the OPs pain. I really wanted to move to LA after college but I landed a job in Boston. I thought, "Hey no matter, it's a major city. New life experiences, new friends, bring it!"

That was August. I've tried to be open minded and experience everything this place has to offer. I love classical music and seafood. Thank god this town has that because i'd be sick of this place. If i didn't have my handel and haydn society i'd say Boston is the example of the worst major city to live in. But back to my story.

Almost 6 months later, i've realized why so many people rag on this town.

It took me 2 months to really appreciate Los Angeles, NYC, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. That two month mark was a notable "root" setting for me. I never had problems creating social circles and making friends. I'm the type of person to go to bars by myself just to meet people.

Almost 6 months in, i'm still significantly lonely. The majority of the people i know are women (not that big a deal; but i want a crew of bros to hang with). There is very little to do and the place dies out faster than i can imagine after 12am.

I can deal with 3 ft of snow, i grew up in the snow belt! But this cold here is unbearable.

This town is loaded with a weird mix of intelligent people who claim to be progressive liberals but are secretly puritanistic people who enjoy shoving their agendas down other peoples throat. It's like living with the mirror opposite of bible thumping, gay hating racists.

Speaking of racist, what the hell is up with all of it? Thank god i'm white, because the racism up here is hilarious for all of these so call democrats.

The politics of New England are too funny. The entrenched financial interests of this city are murderous. I can't stand watching the mayor talk on TV, dear lord.

The T is a joke. After walking 7 blocks on Tuesday from Park to my office in the single digit weather because the damn green line broke i've just given up. Don't read up on the broken promises of the T, it'll make you sick.

I've become rather conservative in my political affiliations to stand out from the masses. At least there's a good gun club north of Quincy.

On the flipside, i've become quite the gym rat and i'm learning to play piano. I have no social life and i'm 23. boo ya!

My trainer and coworker are both from New England and i asked them the question if it was either Boston or me. They both replied with, "Boston is a tough town, it's not you."

And i say the same thing to you OP, it isn't you. I'm giving this place until July to turn around. The worst thing is, i don't know if i can find another job with the same benefits and pay. Regardless, i'm tempted to say screw it and get a lower paying job to escape this hell. Some other loon can take my apartment here.

New England is hell. I hope it gets better, but my enthusiasm for this place is almost gone.

Edit: Funny, i've had at least 3 people describe Boston and New England as "tribal". It may take years to meet your neighbor but once you do they have your back. NE is conservative, cautious, and slow compared to NYC. Yeah that's true.

Edit 2: People, her complaints are valid. Why don't you offer some valuable advice. She seems to have more "class" than some people posting in this thread.
If you really wanted to move to LA after college, I am going to guess you're not from there, nor have you ever lived there. I say that because you mention how after 2 months, your horrible experiences make you appreciate LA. Have you also lived in Cleveland, Pittsburgh and NYC?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
The OP remind me of the roommate I had in detroit. We both moved there from California. all he did was complain and he made himself miserable comparing it to California. He did not last. I explored the museums, the music scen and tried to have an open mind. I adapted. I'd never move back but I did not have a miserable time either

So stop trying to compare it to LA. There's plenty to like compared to the capital of smog and brain dead peroxide blondes

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Ok, but this cold does not "fit" anybody. It's TOOOOOOO COOOLDDDDDD!!!!!Did EVERYONE leave their fridge doors open????

Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okyoureabeast View Post
Edit 2: People, her complaints are valid. Why don't you offer some valuable advice. She seems to have more "class" than some people posting in this thread.
What "class" do you see the OP exhibiting? How can someone who throws tantrums and was extremely prejudiced against the move to Boston "classy"? She sounds more like an immature child to me who is upset that she didn't get her way (to be able to stay in LA).

And what valuable advice does she need? Other than telling her that her pre-formed negative attitude towards Boston and her constantly comparing it to LA is why she hates it here... or just to move back to LA pronto.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Ok, but this cold does not "fit" anybody. It's TOOOOOOO COOOLDDDDDD!!!!!Did EVERYONE leave their fridge doors open????
Hey... my bf and I are hoping for ice racing conditions in NH this year. The winters have been too warm to do it for several years now.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Clearly Boston is not OP's cup of tea. But, IMO she has 2 choices.... convince her husband to move back to LA or act like a reasonable adult and quit whining. It serves no purpose. It won't make her feel better and probably drives the people around her crazy. And the more she whines, the less likely she is to open herself up to finding the good in her new surroudnings.

I hate LA. I know millions love it, but to me it's the third circle of hell. But, if I had to live there, I'm sure I'd discover something to enjoy. And I sure wouldn't waste my time whining about being there. Life is too short.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 17,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
If you really wanted to move to LA after college, I am going to guess you're not from there, nor have you ever lived there. I say that because you mention how after 2 months, your horrible experiences make you appreciate LA. Have you also lived in Cleveland, Pittsburgh and NYC?

No, I hail from Pittsburgh and then moved up to Erie when I was 10. Moved around a lot as a teenager and in college lived in LA for 6 months. I've noticed that in the first two months of living any place new it's going to be mad lonely and feel weird. After 2 months, that taking "root" effect where you start meeting new people and have a circle or in my case circles of good friends to hit up to hang with. It was always roughly 2 months before I started noticing that my new city was becoming home. Boston still does not feel like home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What "class" do you see the OP exhibiting? How can someone who throws tantrums and was extremely prejudiced against the move to Boston "classy"? She sounds more like an immature child to me who is upset that she didn't get her way (to be able to stay in LA).

And what valuable advice does she need? Other than telling her that her pre-formed negative attitude towards Boston and her constantly comparing it to LA is why she hates it here... or just to move back to LA pronto.
I doubt her complaints are tantrums. Seriously get off the high horse and relax.

I went into this town with an open mind and was excited to be coming here. Six months in, the enthusiasm is almost gone. That's a point i'm trying to make.

I'd say the first bit of advice would be to stop comparing cities because they are obviously different.

The point that i'm trying to make is Boston is one of the hardest cities I have ever lived in if you moved here without a defined social network. The culture and tribal mentality of New England is the weirdest I have ever seen compared to some of the other places I have gone.

It's definitely not a place to be single in like LA or NYC. It's an excellent place to have a girlfriend/ SO, settle down, and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston