Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM

13 posts, read 32,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's not a racist city. There is no such thing.
Did I read your post correctly that you are comparing Boston to Johannesburg?

It is a very racist city and yes you did read my post correctly. I have lived all over the country and I find Boston to be the most racist place so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matildathedog View Post
It is a very racist city and yes you did read my post correctly. I have lived all over the country and I find Boston to be the most racist place so far.
I never lived there, but way back in the 60's most black Navy officers I knew were of that opinion.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Something tells me that you are the kind of person who would find racism on the moon.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Something tells me that you are the kind of person who would find racism on the moon.
If the rest of the crew were all white,he'd probaly be correct too.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
I never lived there, but way back in the 60's most black Navy officers I knew were of that opinion.

Way back in the '60's Bill Russell was of that opinion also. He and the sports fans and general population of Boston have long since made their peace.

Past history is past history. I would not put a lot of stock in what someone heard second hand forty years ago about any city. Things change.

Do I say there is never any racial difficulty anywhere in Boston today? Of course not. But then, there will be some problems anywhere. Aside from bringing in old hearsay from decades ago, something else that really is not much use in getting a picture of a place is to make simple general statements like, "Boston is racist." Details about what you've seen that makes you feel that way can open the possibility of reasonable discussion, and give users potentially interested in becoming residents something they can really use to get a feel for a city they are considering moving to.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Way back in the '60's Bill Russell was of that opinion also. He and the sports fans and general population of Boston have long since made their peace.

Past history is past history. I would not put a lot of stock in what someone heard second hand forty years ago about any city. Things change.

Do I say there is never any racial difficulty anywhere in Boston today? Of course not. But then, there will be some problems anywhere. Aside from bringing in old hearsay from decades ago, something else that really is not much use in getting a picture of a place is to make simple general statements like, "Boston is racist." Details about what you've seen that makes you feel that way can open the possibility of reasonable discussion, and give users potentially interested in becoming residents something they can really use to get a feel for a city they are considering moving to.
My brother-in-law is from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn and he told me about the wars they had with the blacks from other neighborhoods. It was extremely segregated and the hatred was vicious.
There have been many more well publicized incidents of racism in the rest of the country including riots that were caused by it. But somehow Boston (along with the moon of course) is Johannesburg. What a joke!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Details about what you've seen that makes you feel that way can open the possibility of reasonable discussion, and give users potentially interested in becoming residents something they can really use to get a feel for a city they are considering moving to.
Not enough black middle management apparently.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
You may have lived all over the country, but you obviously have never lived or spent any time in South Africa, to compare Boston to Johannesberg proves exactly how far off base and lost you are.

I respect your opinion, or the fact you have the right to an opinion, but Johannesberg? Completely lost.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Virginia had a black governor back in the 80's, I believe but I'm not sure. Are you saying just because we have a black governor in mass in 2009 it isn't a racist place to live? Anyway the governor doesn't seem to be doing to well since the good old boy irish and italian network on beacon hill don't seem to like him too much.

Also just because Boston has a diverse population does not make it non-racist either. It is diverse but in the same way Johannesburg is diverse except the townships are mattapan, dorchester, roslindale, and roxbury. Also you can't count Hispanics exclusively as visible minorities since Hispanics are not a race and can actually be of any race; black, white, Asian, native, or any combination of these.

Also I have yet to see a company in Boston where even middle management has a significant visible minority presence that is representative of the demographics you present.
Yes, Douglas Wilder in 89. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts was the 2nd in history.

Deval Patrick "doesn't seem to be doing well" because of many issues, none of them race related, have you picked up a newspaper lately? my goodness.

Here is an article you might find interesting or if not at the very least force you to read the paper for the first time in the past 3 years (Gov Patricks term): Hub's inner city ranks high in booming firms - The Boston Globe (Boston 2nd to Detroit in list profiling successful black owned businesses)

Also another interesting read on segregation in US cities, Boston is alot more intergrated than many major US Cities:
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housi...ns/tab5-4.html
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housi...ns/tab6-4.html

As far as minorities in middle management I work for a healthcare company and I see minorities and immigrants in high profile positions all over my company, my wifes company (one of the largest law firms in the country) was named one of the best Law Firms to work for minorities and commitment to diversity on the national level last year. In addition we are both visible minorities ourselves and hold management positions. So forgive me for not completely seeing eye to eye with you.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 AM

190 posts, read 684,160 times
I have to admit, Boston isn't exactly Atlanta for the black American set, but it has improved drastically over the years. I think that it had a lot to do with the influx of Carribean immigrants who kept the black population numbers stable, and the breaking up of long-standing ethnic neighborhoods due to gentrification and people leaving (retiring, dying etc.). Most of the more egregious racists from back in the day are dead or irrelevant. I remember when Southie was completely out of the picture for us (I didn't see much of it until came back and rented a car and drove around it), and my mother wouldn't let me go to Revere Beach to visit my cousin for years after the Bensonhurst incident. But in all honesty, I didn't have too many racial problems at all. And surprisingly enough, Boston has one of the best big city school systems in the US, even though it has very few whites in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston