Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 02:23 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times

Advertisements

If people are thinking she should experience the best of boston I don't think JP is representative of that at all. JP might as well be cambridge. I'd suggest a nice part of the south end or back Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,605 times
We lived in JP from 1990 to 2000 it went thru a major transformation to being new exciting and bit off the grid to being the new Hipster area and very expensive. It does have great access to the parks and the orange line is fairly good. Parking is a challenge especially in the snow.
Overall, though it is still good interesting area for living but unfortunately I think that it last the economic and diversity that originally made it more appealing for me.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,676 times
Let me clarify a little, I lived in JP on Centre St a few years ago, and I like the neighborhood a lot. I've never really been up in the area near Lourdes before though, off Forest Hills Ave and near the edge of Franklin Park. It seemed fine when we were there this afternoon, but I was hoping to get some thoughts/feedback from someone who has lived in that specific part of JP.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:09 AM

264 posts, read 388,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
If people are thinking she should experience the best of boston I don't think JP is representative of that at all. JP might as well be cambridge. I'd suggest a nice part of the south end or back Bay.
JP has some of the coolest bars and restaurants in the city and has T access, and also has the Sam Adams brewery. Also has tight knit neighborhoods with character as well. The OP is young and wants to experience the best culture the city has to offer in that timeframe and I think JP is a great choice. Not sure what the "might as well be Cambridge" comment means either..

Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
JP has some of the coolest bars and restaurants in the city and has T access, and also has the Sam Adams brewery. Also has tight knit neighborhoods with character as well. The OP is young and wants to experience the best culture the city has to offer in that timeframe and I think JP is a great choice. Not sure what the "might as well be Cambridge" comment means either..

That's a strike against.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:26 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's a strike against.
Why? Is it because you are a beer snob or because they somehow ruin the neighborhood?

Old 03-11-2015, 03:37 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
OP said she'll be living with a roommate, I don't think she'd be willing to shell out $2500/month for a basement shoebox in Back Bay or South End. Also, JP is just a 10 minute T ride from Back Bay.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:12 PM

74 posts, read 94,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I'm from JP, it's overpriced and I wouldn't live their again. It's not unsafe or anything, but you could get a LOT more for your money. If your going to work in Norwood, why look in JP/Allston/Brighton? I get that your only 23 so maybe you want a "young" neighborhood. If you want all walkable, bars, restaurants and tons to do, then Allston/Brighton would fit better than JP. Me personally I'd be looking in the West Roxbury, Dedham Norwood area if thats where I would work.
Boston is mostly young. You dont really feel welcome there after you turn 30. Especially in the bars and clubs. Some people stick around, but not many. You start feeling squeezed out after age 25. But at 23 anywhere in Boston is going to be young (18-25) mostly.

Boston should do more to bring in older adults honestly. Like offering them more options for their demographic, more bars clubs catering to those 25+. All the nightlife there seems to be targeted toward 21-24 yer olds. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, thats my opinion from the people I encounter there. In NYC there seem to be more age ranges.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello071 View Post
Boston is mostly young. You dont really feel welcome there after you turn 30. Especially in the bars and clubs. Some people stick around, but not many. You start feeling squeezed out after age 25. But at 23 anywhere in Boston is going to be young (18-25) mostly.

Boston should do more to bring in older adults honestly. Like offering them more options for their demographic, more bars clubs catering to those 25+. All the nightlife there seems to be targeted toward 21-24 yer olds. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, thats my opinion from the people I encounter there. In NYC there seem to be more age ranges.

Cambridge is better at this. There is a little something for everyone of all ages.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 AM

264 posts, read 388,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Cambridge is better at this. There is a little something for everyone of all ages.
Took the words right out of my mouth. CAMBRIDGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston