Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times

Advertisements

I am not sure and haven't called them or checked their website.

I have seen two instances in one week of "regular" dogs with their owners riding the Red Line from North Quincy into Boston.

Today, one sat on the seat for a time; the other day, the owner bounced him in her lap and kissed him before he sat on the floor. No big deal? Or should they be on the floor? OR, just not rude, period...even if 6 sm on weekends?

On a crowded train, one must worry about stepping on a dog's tail or paw, possibly eliciting a bite.

Is this simply low class and inconsiderate of people nowadays?

Hmmm...I can understand a small dog in a cage on the way to a vet appointment. I guess it's fine if it's a true emergency and the owner can't afford a cab...

But what are the official rules, and what should the public tolerate? Even dog owners and dog lovers have their limits, no?

Plus, some riders may have allergies to pets.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
They are allowed on trains not buses. I think they are not allowed during rush hours. I took my dogs on the trains many time.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM

Thank you.

The situation today was about 5 pm inbound with seating available. Maybe he couldn't ride on a packed outbound train at that rush hour time.

But I can't imagine dogs on commuter rails. Heck, some riders pay $200-$300 monthly, and wear professional attire. No way would most appreciate or tolerate drooling or barking dogs. That wouldn't be fair, especially since those rides can be 45 minutes or more unlike my quick 20-minute Red Line ride today.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:11 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Thank you.

The situation today was about 5 pm inbound with seating available. Maybe he couldn't ride on a packed outbound train at that rush hour time.

But I can't imagine dogs on commuter rails. Heck, some riders pay $200-$300 monthly, and wear professional attire. No way would most appreciate or tolerate drooling or barking dogs. That wouldn't be fair, especially since those rides can be 45 minutes or more unlike my quick 20-minute Red Line ride today.
A lot of people use the quote "the dogs are better behaved than many of the people". I'm also not sure if they are allowed on the Green Line. We smuggled ours on occasionally.

Most Bostonians seem to find dogs on the trains charming. Seems to bring a smile to the usually stoic faces. And my dogs never barked or fussed. If anything, they were slightly nervous about the apparently ground in motion.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Most Bostonians seem to find dogs on the trains charming. Seems to bring a smile to the usually stoic faces. And my dogs never barked or fussed. If anything, they were slightly nervous about the apparently ground in motion.
Yes, I petted the dog a bit to the owner's appreciation. It was on its way to a group playdate on the Common, apparently, showing off its new yellow bandana from Walmart (American Eskimo).

I do like to be difficult at times, though I don't always follow society's rules yet expect others to sometimes adhere strictly.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
I've encountered many dogs when I take the T into Cambridge from Quincy. The pooches make the ride more fun and less dreary. I do understand about others' potential allergies against dog fur and dander, which is a very relevant concern. I have never taken my dogs onto the T for that precise reason.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Thank you.

When I used to commute using the Lowell line, years back, I always saw dogs on the early (5amish) train. If I remember correctly the rule is they have to sit on the floor and the conductor has the right to refuse ill behaved dogs.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I'd much rather share a train ride with a dog than anyone's shrieking or crying child. And their parents never seem apologetic for making the other riders' travel experience excruciatingly painful.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:51 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
I think a dog is a better co-rider than...
someone yelping on the phone loudly
crying children
someone with bad body odor
someone who has the volume on his/her headphone so loud that it can be heard by others (and he/she is also tapping vigorously)
people who fart
people with really bad breath
..... keep your imagination going.

However, having the dog on a seat... I'm not sure that's a considerate thing to do. I wouldn't want my coat/clothing to be covered with fur from a dog that previously sat on the same seat.

I agree some people can be allergic or have phobias of animals (not everyone is happy to see 4-legged creatures).

Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Yes, they are, with certain caveats:

MBTA > Riding the T > Pets on the T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston