Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 PM

686 posts, read 1,141,580 times

Advertisements

I agree with the posts above. The Northeast is completely different than the West, and part of the appeal is the many, small walkable towns. It does sound like you have a great setup in Denver, and that urban light atmosphere that is common in the West, which I personally love as well. It is really impossible to find that in the Northeast....it is either full on urban, or suburban. Brookline might be the possible exception here but it is out of your price range.

I honestly think you won't have any issue with the outdoor activities. Denver is very dry and with what you lose with the occasional rainy day in Mass, you will gain ten fold by having access to real lakes, forests, ocean and rivers. The mountains of New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine are close by with no god awful I-70 traffic...much more accessible than either DEN or LAX.

If you do this move, embrace New England for what it is....awesome, friendly, somewhat provincial small towns. Bike to your office in Hopkinton and enjoy. Give up the urban life, cash out and from my experience with Denver real estate prices these days, that 400k bungalow is worth significantly more than you paid. Take that money and use it for college or early retirement. If you try to replicate your life in Denver, you will be disappointed. Heck, with the money you save living in Hopkinton or Westborough, you could afford to keep a 1 bedroom condo in Denver!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 PM

520 posts, read 778,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Hmm. I think you'd be better off living near Hopkinton. The houses are somewhat less expensive and you'd be close to work. Newton seems like a silly move because you'd be spending an insane amount of money for what is likely going to be a 45 minute commute each way. Hopkinton also puts you closer to the outdoor stuff you want.

Living in Boston itself may sound appealing but I don't think it will do much for you on a day to day basis.
This post is 100% accurate and also sums up why the OP might hate a move to Boston.

I lived in Westborough for several years, which is right next to and very similar to Hopkinton. I can't imagine enjoying a suburban/rural living experience anymore than I did in Westborough. The only problem is that I wouldn't chose to live in a bucolic exurb if I had better options closer to the city. In Boston, I didn't.

It sounds like the OP has a great living situation in Denver. He will not come close to replicating that for similar money in Boston. If he was dissatisfied with the density, noise or anything else about living in the city, a place near Hopkinton might be ideal. I don't think that's the case. For that reason, a move to the Boston area would probably represent a compromise, and a disappointing one at that.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:07 AM

10 posts, read 14,413 times
I was born in Boston but lived in Denver for 18 years and moved back to the Boston area 5 years ago. While Denver is a great city, it was not for me and i would never move back to Denver. As for your concerns, I would sau Brookline, Cambridge or Sommerville would give you the walkable urban feel that you are looking for. I can't comment on schools but overall, the school system in MA is one of the best in the country. Plenty to do outdoors and people here are very active, ski resorts in NH and VT are close by. As far as housing, I've been watching the real estate madness that has taken over in Denver and their housing prices, especially where you live, are now closing in on Boston prices. You might be surprised what you could get for your house but I agree with other posters when they say rent first.

I think you should give this place a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,534,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northshore 15 View Post
I was born in Boston but lived in Denver for 18 years and moved back to the Boston area 5 years ago. While Denver is a great city, it was not for me and i would never move back to Denver. As for your concerns, I would sau Brookline, Cambridge or Sommerville would give you the walkable urban feel that you are looking for. I can't comment on schools but overall, the school system in MA is one of the best in the country. Plenty to do outdoors and people here are very active, ski resorts in NH and VT are close by. As far as housing, I've been watching the real estate madness that has taken over in Denver and their housing prices, especially where you live, are now closing in on Boston prices. You might be surprised what you could get for your house but I agree with other posters when they say rent first.

I think you should give this place a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Yes the housing has appreciated here, my 400k house is probably worth 550k now. Still nowhere near 800k I see for 3/1 condos in those areas...=O

Last edited by Mach50; 04-20-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,534,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Hmm. I think you'd be better off living near Hopkinton. The houses are somewhat less expensive and you'd be close to work. Newton seems like a silly move because you'd be spending an insane amount of money for what is likely going to be a 45 minute commute each way. Hopkinton also puts you closer to the outdoor stuff you want.

Living in Boston itself may sound appealing but I don't think it will do much for you on a day to day basis.
I've been staying out in the Hopkington, Westborough and Marlborough area over the last 2 years and I've spent 32 weeks in that area. I do not like it. Way too slow.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,713,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I've been staying out in the Hopkington, Westborough and Marlborough area over the last 2 years and I've spent 32 weeks in that area. I do not like it. Way too slow.
I totally get it. However living in Boston itself comes with a lot of drawbacks for someone in your situation, affordability being the biggest one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston