Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 10:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,666 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been searching for an appropriate way to go about this strange but hopefully interesting request... I hope posting on this forum is the answer.

I am an actor undergoing a 3 year professional training course in Oxford (England) at the Oxford School of Drama; one of the top schools in the world. I am in my second year and as part of our training we do a lot of work learning accents from around the globe that suit our casting. This time around I have a slightly more detailed mission, which is to not only learn an accent but also to develop a character study. In other words I would be trying to 'play' the person who's accent I am learning. Some people may identify this as a type of 'method acting'.

Essentially I am looking for a male volunteer between the age of 18-30, native to Boston or with a recognisably 'strong' accent (I have also posted in the Chicago forum) who would be willing to have a short Skype (or similar) conversation with me. I would need you to read some words aloud to help me with the accent and basically just have a chat about life, nothing too personal but enough so I can do justice to your 'character'.

This work will remain within the school and will be anonymous as far as your identity is concerned. It's a lot of work for me but hopefully a bit of fun for you and a chance to share your voice! I would be eternally grateful for any response on this, any questions please do ask.

Kind Regards,

Ciaran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:49 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,842,530 times
There's more than one recognized Boston accent. One is what I call the Boston Bray, primarily used by White people in lower economic classes ("Don't STAHHT with me.") The other is the one that includes British affectations ("I cahn't believe it") but doesn't mangle the letter R. Yet a third is "WASP/Brahmin" and is more generic - suburbanites from all over speak it.

Regional accents and expressions throughout the world are under siege "thanks" to the Internet, worldwide franchising ("frappe" becomes "milkshake" after enough exposure to fast food menus), etc. Good luck finding a thickly-accented individual under 40 anywhere you look.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 4,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
There's more than one recognized Boston accent. One is what I call the Boston Bray, primarily used by White people in lower economic classes ("Don't STAHHT with me.") The other is the one that includes British affectations ("I cahn't believe it") but doesn't mangle the letter R. Yet a third is "WASP/Brahmin" and is more generic - suburbanites from all over speak it.

Regional accents and expressions throughout the world are under siege "thanks" to the Internet, worldwide franchising ("frappe" becomes "milkshake" after enough exposure to fast food menus), etc. Good luck finding a thickly-accented individual under 40 anywhere you look.
I agree, of course it's a similar story here in England. Accents are diverse and language is largely flattened - but to a non-native speaker I suspect any Boston 'Bray' accent will sound far enough removed from my own to present a decent challenge.

From what I understand having read about the various Boston neighbourhoods I have deduced that a Dorchester/Southie accent is the most commonly used in film & TV, would you agree? The sort of 'gritty' side of Boston I suppose... cop drama etc.

I'm holding out hope someone will be able to help, and hey if they're over 40 that's not the end of the world, my 'playing range' probably extends to about 30ish but an older volunteer is far better than no volunteer at all.

Thanks for the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston