Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

I lived in Boston Back Bay in the early 90's. LOVED it. Since I am originally from NY, it didn't seem pricey. I will be getting my M.S. in Psychology next year and wondered about the job market.

I realize it will be more expensive but I have a house to sell- and want to eventually buy a condo- I miss the city! It has so much to offer- restaurants, etc. I have traveled alot, and lived in middle America now- without kids- it is a complete bore!.

Anyway just wanted to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,489,581 times
Boston like San Francisco, people loves it.

With lots of students (with rich parents),high paying executives and doctors, the city is vibrant. There is no lack of money. As long as you are willing to pay, you will love Boston and Boston will love you. Where else do you get theatre, cinema, aquarium, MLB, Valentino, NM, Chanel, gap, best Universities, pretty college girls, hot college guys within 1 mile?

Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Boston like San Francisco, people loves it.

With lots of students (with rich parents),high paying executives and doctors, the city is vibrant. There is no lack of money. As long as you are willing to pay, you will love Boston and Boston will love you. Where else do you get theatre, cinema, aquarium, MLB, Valentino, NM, Chanel, gap, best Universities, pretty college girls, hot college guys within 1 mile?
last year I was there in October-Newbury St was booming- 10 yrs before it was never that busy (Maybe 4th of July it was) - has there been any other reason- the big dig- etc; (I know about the students- when I lived on Beacon St though, (1992) some of the brownstones were half empty- is that just bcs of students?.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
last year I was there in October-Newbury St was booming- 10 yrs before it was never that busy (Maybe 4th of July it was) - has there been any other reason- the big dig- etc; (I know about the students- when I lived on Beacon St though, (1992) some of the brownstones were half empty- is that just bcs of students?.
1988-89 was the BIG stock market crash. Many people moved out of the area. Since 1993-94, it had been on rebound. Prices just kept going up and have not stopped until recently. Even South Boston (warehouse) and Leather District (Chinatown loft) are selling.

I have no data to support it. The high prices in my mind are mainly students and Financial executives returning to Boston after layoffs (due to mergers.) Of course, there are people like you trying to return also. Just walk on Newbury St. Look at the people. It seems they have not aged since 1990s.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 AM

smarty- do you live outside the city? I have been looking at sites- Re/max Destiny, etc. I would probably rent a house first then buy after a year- Though it is my dream to be IN the city I will probably have to look at Brookline, or maybe Salem; I would be selling a house here, and have 3 dogs-lol (I know more than 1 dog is impossible for the Back Bay) Just wondering if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 PM

Yes. I do live in the suburb... West of Boston. I go into Boston once or twice a month nowadays. Used to live in Boston too or go in 2-3 times a week.

Always a good idea to rent first! Where you live depends on your preference. Do you still want a house with yard or live in the city (like Condo, Brownstone or 2 family)? You have to make up your mind first.

Next thing is what is important to you? School? closeness to Boston? Waterfront? Make a list. There are many areas/Towns just touching downtown Boston like Brookline, Watertown, Winchester, Belmont, Quincy, Brighton, South End that may be more affordable than BackBay. Each has it own merit.

Last thing is price. It is alway a big factor. However, figure out what you want first. If you look really really hard, you may find it. Nothing is impossible, it is just a matter of time.

One other thing, I am not sure why you mention Salem. Is there something particular you are interested or looking for in Salem? Salem compare to Boston is like night and day.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM

One more thing. You can go to yahoo real estate. They just bought zillow. Hence, if you search Boston, it will show you recent sales on a map. It will give you a good idea what prices are like with bedroom, bath, sq ft. in and around the area.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Yes. I do live in the suburb... West of Boston. I go into Boston once or twice a month nowadays. Used to live in Boston too or go in 2-3 times a week.

Always a good idea to rent first! Where you live depends on your preference. Do you still want a house with yard or live in the city (like Condo, Brownstone or 2 family)? You have to make up your mind first.

Next thing is what is important to you? School? closeness to Boston? Waterfront? Make a list. There are many areas/Towns just touching downtown Boston like Brookline, Watertown, Winchester, Belmont, Quincy, Brighton, South End that may be more affordable than BackBay. Each has it own merit.

Last thing is price. It is alway a big factor. However, figure out what you want first. If you look really really hard, you may find it. Nothing is impossible, it is just a matter of time.

One other thing, I am not sure why you mention Salem. Is there something particular you are interested or looking for in Salem? Salem compare to Boston is like night and day.
Thanks for saying nothings impossible !!!
I only mentioned Salem because last year it seemed so built up. It would probably be too far a commute if I worked in the city though. My dream would be a brownstone, but you are right I should rent awhile before committing. Frankly, I think I will be happy to NOT have a house for the first time in 8 years- lol. Thanks- I will check that website.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Thanks for saying nothings impossible !!!
I only mentioned Salem because last year it seemed so built up. It would probably be too far a commute if I worked in the city though. My dream would be a brownstone, but you are right I should rent awhile before committing. Frankly, I think I will be happy to NOT have a house for the first time in 8 years- lol. Thanks- I will check that website.
Nothing is impossible. That is what I always tell my boss. Given enough time, energy, effort, luck and may be $$, you can always accomplish your goal. If you love backbay, go for it. I'm sure given enough time and energy, you will find something for whatever price you are searching in. I have kids that is why I move out of city where schools are usually better. The pace is slower.

Everything is build up in MA in the last 10 years. I just realized even mill towns near RT495 like Marlborough and Hudson are selling over $300K.

Again, if closeness is what you are looking for. South End, Allson, Brighton, Brookline,Cambridge,Sommerville,Arlington, ... are all less then 5-10 miles from downtown Boston with a little lower price. Even Quincy and Newton is just a quick subway ride into Boston. It is only $$$.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Brookline is nice- nice feel to it like the Back Bay- Allston seems a bit more "students only" although thats okay too. I was amazed at the condos going up in Salem- ten years ago that area was touristy- I can remember that restaurant on the dock- and really NO apartments up there in '92- guess its booming up there!!!

sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston