Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 AM

14 posts, read 44,276 times

Advertisements

Thanks Smarty... I will start looking into this. You make an excellent point. I have started to become aware through some research that city living, even in the suburbs, brings with it very different social issues than in our sleepy little Cape Cod town! I just have not had to deal with many of these issues yet as a parent, and frankly, have not really had to deal with them myself!

I suppose, like many things, we will deal with them as they arise, but being prepared mentally for these changes and challenges is wise. My husband is quite conservative and I tend to be more open to differences etc. Most of all, I want to raise my kids to have strong convictions but to hold them with kindness.

As for me, I am capable of tolerating many differences among friends as long as there is a level of honesty and acceptance. I know I'm getting a little off topic here...I was talking about schools, social issues etc....

We have visited the Dover schools and will be visiting the Medfield schools this coming week. In my research about Lincoln schools, I liked a program they have that helps diversify the student body, called METCO, I think. They bus in kids from Boston who want to take advantage of the school system etc....anyway, sounded interesting.......

I'll do some more school research and check back in.
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsandadog View Post
Thanks Smarty... I will start looking into this. You make an excellent point. I have started to become aware through some research that city living, even in the suburbs, brings with it very different social issues than in our sleepy little Cape Cod town! I just have not had to deal with many of these issues yet as a parent, and frankly, have not really had to deal with them myself!

I suppose, like many things, we will deal with them as they arise, but being prepared mentally for these changes and challenges is wise. My husband is quite conservative and I tend to be more open to differences etc. Most of all, I want to raise my kids to have strong convictions but to hold them with kindness.

As for me, I am capable of tolerating many differences among friends as long as there is a level of honesty and acceptance. I know I'm getting a little off topic here...I was talking about schools, social issues etc....

We have visited the Dover schools and will be visiting the Medfield schools this coming week. In my research about Lincoln schools, I liked a program they have that helps diversify the student body, called METCO, I think. They bus in kids from Boston who want to take advantage of the school system etc....anyway, sounded interesting.......

I'll do some more school research and check back in.
thanks.
Hi Twokids,
Just wondered if you went to Medfield yet and what you thought? We are looking at similiar towns and prerequisites as you are and just want to have it over with except we are doing this long distance from California. We were alson looking at Westborough, Westford and Acton in ma. What about Needham? Close to transportation, great school, etc? As far as North Shore, if my husband didn't mind the longer commute I would move to Newburyport in a second! Just what you seem to be looking for in terms of less conservative, younger feel, lots of individual shops and near Portsmouth. Tell me what you have discovered!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 72,239 times
Wink All assessments keenly viewed.

Hi -

Well, I have enjoyed listening to everyones input into the various towns mentions. I have become partial to Franklin, MA. Realize, I am BLIND and
public transportaion is VERY important to me. But, my wife works for Gillette in Boston and her family is in Rhode Island. Recently, we gained sole custody of my 12 year old niece. We are learning the ropes of parent-hood. ..smiles...

Anyway, I want to compare Southborough to Franklin, MA with the new family addition. That is, the schools. I initially, choose Franklin near the train depot.
I need to walk. My wife needs access to Boston and my niece needs a good school. Franklin seems to meet all critia for each person. Also, I heard from the RMV that Franklin has the lowest car taxes for Insurance etc. in the State.
Is this true? Does, someone have ideas considering the 3 of us?

Oh, you should know, I have a certifed service/site dog.
Review, removed

Appreciative,
Cary

Last edited by Marka; 01-15-2007 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-13-2007, 01:31 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Hi Cary,

Franklin would be good except for the walking part. Both of the train stations there are in busy areas. Were you thinking about buying a house?

Old 01-13-2007, 06:24 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
Hi -
Also, I heard from the RMV that Franklin has the lowest car taxes for Insurance etc. in the State.
Is this true?
Car tax should be the same as it is evaluated by the state.

Town does affect the car insurance premium. A town with lower theft and accident rate will pay lower insurance premium. If you compare Franklin to towns like Boston or Lawrence, Frankin definitely will be cheaper. It probably will not be cheaper than Southborough.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Hi -

Thank you for initially responding.
Yes, CASEYB I am thinking of buying a house if necessary.
There is my lovely wife Elaine, who works for Gillette and needs to commute to South Boston via train, my 12 year old niece and my service/site dog. My wife is sighted and drives. I was wondering if there are elderly/disabled homes or new structures accessible for people like me too.
If ytou or someone can direct me to a realtor of someone who can assist me plesase have them contact me via e-mail, on this message board or call me at: 978-937-5170. I would really appreciate ALL help received.

Appreciative,
CAry

Old 01-15-2007, 04:57 PM

Hi -

SMARTY, thanks for responding. I was inquisitive about the RMV as my wife drives a car. I do not know if you are aware but I am BLIND etc. from brain surgery. View http://ADAtech.org Transportation is important for me and I would like to know if Franklin has a local transportation system like here.It is The Lowell Regional Treansportation Authoriy. They are good to me and my service/site dog. We go to the YMCA in the mornings and walk often. Though I am having more difficulty mobility wise.

Anyway, as I mention, I was curious about the RMS, Insurance rats etc. I appreciate you clarifying it to me. My wife works for Gillette at the Pru. She will be moving to South Boston. The South Boston depot is one we both can use. It seems Franklin is a nice place to go too. Her faqmily lives in Rhode Island. So, it seems like a nice in-between.

I am tired so I must go now.

Later,
Cary

Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
Quote:
Transportation is important for me and I would like to know if Franklin has a local transportation system like here.It is The Lowell Regional Treansportation Authoriy. They are good to me and my service/site dog. We go to the YMCA in the mornings and walk often. Though I am having more difficulty mobility wise.
I do not live in Franklin. I do not recall seeing regional transportation like the ones in Lowell. I suggest calling town hall to see what other help is available in terms of transportation. If you live closer to Boston, mbta has "the RIDE" program where they provide custom service to seniors and riders with disabilities.

Quote:
Anyway, as I mention, I was curious about the RMS, Insurance rats etc. I appreciate you clarifying it to me. My wife works for Gillette at the Pru. She will be moving to South Boston. The South Boston depot is one we both can use. It seems Franklin is a nice place to go too. Her faqmily lives in Rhode Island. So, it seems like a nice in-between.
Franklin is a nice town. I think the commuter train takes about 60-75 minutes to get into Boston. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston