Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:06 AM

23,756 posts, read 18,872,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Huh, I have heard the opposite and that the users get mad when narcan is administered because it ruins their high.

I just think this seems over the top. I dont really care one way or the other, if it happens to be it...but would anyone out there feel comfortable if their kids decided to head to this place to try drugs? I know i wouldn't. And yes this likely won't be good for anyone's real estate value in somerville in the area of this thing

Methadone Mile 2.0

I personally see the use of Narcan (or "safe use places) without mandated treatment tied in, as kicking the can down the road.

Meanwhile in RI:

Rhode Island set to become first state to legalize injection sites

https://turnto10.com/politics/bill-w...n-rhode-island

Only thing is, in their case they have yet to find a "host" community. That part should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:37 AM

16,675 posts, read 8,396,116 times
ugh. I say if people are going to do these drugs it's on them. We don't do much about drinking and driving other than tell people NOT to do it and people still do. Choices people choices.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:39 AM

12,939 posts, read 22,113,656 times
Quote:
Huh, I have heard the opposite and that the users get mad when narcan is administered because it ruins their high.

I just think this seems over the top. I dont really care one way or the other, if it happens to be it...but would anyone out there feel comfortable if their kids decided to head to this place to try drugs? I know i wouldn't. And yes this likely won't be good for anyone's real estate value in somerville in the area of this thing
You've heard that users are avoiding areas with Narcan? The first responders I know would argue the opposite - that users treat Narcan like the little green mushrooms in the Super Mario games. It's a big contributor to burnout in the police/fire/ems fields. I guess if a user was fully conscious and injected, they may not like it ruining the high. But it's a literal lifesaver for those that are unconscious/barely conscious and they search out the places where they know they could be revived. It seems contradictory to believe both 1) Nobody will use these places because the Narcan injection will "ruin the high" AND 2) It's going to hurt property values because of the concentration of addicts. Doesn't seem like it can be both of those things. Personally, I'm pretty certain it'll be widely used and the neighbors won't like that.

I don't really buy the argument that this is going to somehow encourage new drug use on any sort large scale. If your kid is going to this place to use drugs, it means they're already buying heroin (they're not handing it out at these places) which is not something the average person tries out of curiosity like a cigarette or weed. If my kid was actively doing heroin, I'd want them to stop. But knowing the challenges around stopping, injecting somewhere that they'd get a clean needle and someone to make sure they don't die would be the next best option. But if you're going to an injection site, it's most likely because you've been using for a while; not to try something new.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:40 AM

15,818 posts, read 20,598,893 times
Quote:
It does. It kills the high and puts many into instant withdrawal. I've watched someone who was practically dead stand up suddenly like their alarm went off and their late for school and start getting confrontational with everyone and refuse medical assistance. They were pissed about it. I am sure they stumbled off and got high again 2 hours later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston