Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 06:11 PM

23,897 posts, read 19,078,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
He’s a landlord from East Boston.

What doesn’t pass your ‘BS Detector’?

As he himself noted, just about any clown can become a landlord. That he is one, doesn't prove to me that he knows what he is talking about and just isn't some random dipwad running his mouth on social media. I don't care how long the text is or how long it took him to put it together. It's a lot of rambling.

For one, how he outrageously stuffs the majority of Boston landlords into his two neat little boxes should make one question his validity. It would be one thing if he was just venting his "opinion" as a disgruntled nobody, but that is not how he presented himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 05:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 2,770,125 times
Quote:
Lol “that rag” so you’d rather just talk and not even know what proposal you’re talking about?
I was referring to what YOU were saying not to the article. You were commenting about "rent control" as you do on many other threads. I was responding to your comments. And in true fashion you are again projecting yourself on to others since you had to scurry off to another forum to find comments from another (anonymous) contributor (lol) to be able to offer any kind of response. You are here with zero evidence, zero studies supporting rent control as an effective policy, and you have scant knowledge about what you're talking about yet, you're implying that I "just talk" and not know what "proposal" I'm talking about. That's rich. And you can't stabilize a neighborhood whose socioeconomic diversity has already been decimated using this policy. You do that by increasing a variety of housing stock. But feel free to keep bellowing about what you believe rather than what's been already established. And feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges and engaging in other logic fallacies. Like I said, whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Who is this "very smart person", and where does he obtain the authority to make all these quite assertive claims with absolutely nothing to back them up? Much of it just don't pass my BS detector.
All you need to know is he's "very smart." Now, accept that and move on. lmao

Old 02-22-2023, 09:50 AM

21,831 posts, read 13,039,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I was referring to what YOU were saying not to the article. You were commenting about "rent control" as you do on many other threads. I was responding to your comments. And in true fashion you are again projecting yourself on to others since you had to scurry off to another forum to find comments from another (anonymous) contributor (lol) to be able to offer any kind of response. You are here with zero evidence, zero studies supporting rent control as an effective policy, and you have scant knowledge about what you're talking about yet, you're implying that I "just talk" and not know what "proposal" I'm talking about. That's rich. And you can't stabilize a neighborhood whose socioeconomic diversity has already been decimated using this policy. You do that by increasing a variety of housing stock. But feel free to keep bellowing about what you believe rather than what's been already established. And feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges and engaging in other logic fallacies. Like I said, whatever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
Coming from a person who hasn't even read the rent control proposal...that is rich. Not sure why the word proposal is in quotation marks either.

The idea that rent stabilization would not stabilize a neighborhood is illogical.

Most of what you say really has to do with you not liking me not anything of substance regarding.. well anything, really.

It's obvious you don't really read up on current issues, or look at what works in other places outside of Boston. You make it an intentional point to bury your head in the sand (some sort of faux-virtuous reason for that I guess?) and for some reason (I don't know what reason yer), you want to be considered a credible or wise person when most of what you do is reject information and divergent viewpoints.

End of the day there is only one (1) major city in the US with rent control whose rents are more expensive than Boston and they cap rent increases at a paltry 2.6% so how can that compare to Boston's 6% plus inflation? You run away from these truths but they're still truths.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Coming from a person who hasn't even read the rent control proposal...that is rich. Not sure why the word proposal is in quotation marks either.

The idea that rent stabilization would not stabilize a neighborhood is illogical.

Most of what you say really has to do with you not liking me not anything of substance regarding.. well anything, really.

It's obvious you don't really read up on current issues, or look at what works in other places outside of Boston. You make it an intentional point to bury your head in the sand (some sort of faux-virtuous reason for that I guess?) and for some reason (I don't know what reason yer), you want to be considered a credible or wise person when most of what you do is reject information and divergent viewpoints.

End of the day there is only one (1) major city in the US with rent control whose rents are more expensive than Boston and they cap rent increases at a paltry 2.6% so how can that compare to Boston's 6% plus inflation? You run away from these truths but they're still truths.
Waaaaah, you disagree with me cause you don't like me. Waaaah.

Cool story bro. Bring some evidence with you next time rather than just beliefs and baseless ad homs. I don't argue with religious zealots on the right or the left.

Boo hoo.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Waaaaah, you disagree with me cause you don't like me. Waaaah.

Cool story bro. Bring some evidence with you next time rather than just beliefs and baseless ad homs. I don't argue with religious zealots on the right or the left.

Boo hoo.
Evidence was provided-but you don’t consider or even read evidence that doesn’t fit your narrative. You try to oversimplify things because it’s all you can mentally handle. It’s a pattern.

Old 02-22-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As he himself noted, just about any clown can become a landlord. That he is one, doesn't prove to me that he knows what he is talking about and just isn't some random dipwad running his mouth on social media. I don't care how long the text is or how long it took him to put it together. It's a lot of rambling.

For one, how he outrageously stuffs the majority of Boston landlords into his two neat little boxes should make one question his validity. It would be one thing if he was just venting his "opinion" as a disgruntled nobody, but that is not how he presented himself.
Exactly

Old 02-22-2023, 03:25 PM

Still not sure what really justifies a 10% YoY increase. That probably getting shot down as we speak by the city council, for not being aggressive enough

EDIT: I was correct. Kendra Lara feels its not enough. Tania Fernandes wants Rent Control but will settle or Rent Stabilization https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/02/...trol-proposal/

In a hearing that lasted over five hours Wednesday, Boston’s city councilors sank their teeth into Mayor Michelle Wu’s controversial rent control proposal for the first time, highlighting the uphill battle the policy faces before it can become law.

Progressive councilors argued the proposal, which would cap rent increases in line with inflation, doesn’t go far enough to protect tenants from devastating rent hikes or eviction. The council’s centrists worried about harming small landlords or dampening housing production in the city.

There was, however, general agreement that some form of rent control could help address the worst effects of Boston’s housing crisis, and that, in order to succeed on Beacon Hill, it would need to walk a fine line.

“This proposal is a good start.” -Councilor Gabriela Colleta

But some councilors thought that 6 percent limit is too high, meaning it would still allow for rent increases that put a financial strain on residents.
Kendra Lara, a first-term councilor representing parts of West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and Roslindale, said she “could not” support a policy that allows for hikes at the cap Wu proposed.

Wu’s proposal would also enact “just cause” eviction protections for tenants, meaning a landlord would need to have what the city considers adequate reason — like damage to a property caused by a tenant — to start an eviction. Some councilors, including Lara, argued that policy does not go far enough.

Council President Ed Flynn said he was concerned about rent caps harming small landlords. He proposed a property tax exemption of $6,000 a year for landlords who rent units at $500 a month below the market rate to make more of the city’s housing stock affordable.

Per this article no mention of anyone outright opposed to rent control.

Its funny 73% of Boston Globe renters are opposed but 76% of Boston Renters are in favor. according to a 2021 WBUR poll. 59%were strongly in favor

I listened to Micahel Flaherty he sounds wary but open to hearing more and wants to find out the likelihood of this passing. Frank the Crank was absent but probably hates it. Erin Murphy is a renter with young kids looking to rent, she sounded open.

Liz Breadon is in favor of rent control and has in the past cited Mayor Menino's 1994 quote saying Rent Control should be decided by Boston voters.

All POC Councilors support rent control.

So there are actually only 1-2 Concilors opposed to rent control Frank Baker and maybe Michael Flaherty.. This will pass City Council and go on to the State legislature. If the legislature acts, it will probably pass under Maura Healey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GRAKy_dZUM

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-22-2023 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2023, 03:51 PM

"People who are suggesting that [housing] growth would stop are being misleading." -Sheila Dillon, Boston's Chief of Housing.

No doubt more knowledgeable of the Boston housing market and development than the posters here

Old 02-22-2023, 04:21 PM

What's being discussed in the city right now is not rent control, despite your continued use of the term in your endless free associative ramblings to yourself.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 02-22-2023 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston