Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 08:38 AM

16,440 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

We already have lego land in somerville:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/lego-gr...oston/42636289

Not sure what to think of this. Part of me doesn't care, part of me wonder why Boston? This isn't an inexpensive area...moving this place and creating hundreds of jobs is nice but we don't seem to be lacking in the jobs area. Why so so many companies want to be in Boston still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 09:02 AM

21,659 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Wait but I was told the millionaire's tax was going to kill the business environment in MA...this cant be happening.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:08 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Im not sure if your question is serious or not.

But if it is, this is why:
-Boston has 2 of the best universities in the world and 40+ amazing institutions.
-Boston has access to the intellectual property a company needs to survive and keep competitive. They may have not had that in CT.
-Its a large dynamic city that has the innovation and access to auxiliary services they wouldnt get in suburban CT or south Georgia.

Yes it is expensive, nice things are expensive. Is Boston overpriced? Hell yes. The fact NJ is cheaper than Eastern MA, who provides about 1/3 the amount of amenities with less maintained towns than East MA is wild. But nonetheless, it has value that companies need to succeed. Thats why other cities like NYC, SF, Austin, LA, DC and Chicago have the vast majority of our industry leaders and Fortune 500 companies despite their COL concerns. Companies NEED to be there.

What now?
The city and region really need to substantially increase their housing supply. Its absolutely ridiculous how poor their output is. Additionally, the public transportation needs to be scaled appropriately. MA cannot keep growing if they don't have the adequate infrastructure to do so.

MA will continue to grow, despite its ups and downs. It will also continue to get even more expensive if town officials, planning boards and transportation agencies don't act fast enough/innovate further. People in MA show up to these town halls crying about how much they hate a new apartment or bus/rail route. Okay fine. Have fun when sitting in your 13 mile, 90 minute commute. Its like, the solution to X is Y .. but you say no to Y and X gets worse and you wonder why X got worse...? Make it make sense for the people in the back.

Best Solutions
  • Unify the many different regional transportation systems in MA to ONE unified system. (Look at NJ Transit for example)
  • Electrfiy and Double track the majority of the commuter rail for better frequencies.
  • Properly up-zone lots near MBTA Stations.
  • Make it easier (incentivize?) towns to build more TOD... MBTA Communities is good, but theres not enough 'incentive' and seems like rich towns have lots of loopholes.
  • Congestion Pricing into Bostons core. Sorry

Old 01-24-2023, 09:12 AM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Not sure what to think of this. Part of me doesn't care, part of me wonder why Boston? This isn't an inexpensive area...moving this place and creating hundreds of jobs is nice but we don't seem to be lacking in the jobs area. Why so so many companies want to be in Boston still?
Plenty of reasons. There's a large, skilled workforce here. Lego NA has a decades long partnership with MIT, so R&D connections are already local and in place. Lego Education is already here. There are several major IP firms with HQs or a large presence here. Boston and Logan Airport offer easier access to International HQ in Denmark than the current HQ in Enfield, CT (there are already direct flights to CPH on SAS). Metro Boston is a more appealing and easier draw for potential execs than Enfield. Boston isn't too far from the existing HQ which makes it less of a challenge to move the existing workforce. Any other alternative that checks all of those boxes (NYC, DC, etc.) is going to be similarly expensive if not more so.

It's a good get for Boston, but ultimately won't change a whole lot. I also wouldn't completely bank on it yet either - we're still seeing what the post-COVID work environment is going to look like and 2026 is still a ways off. Of those 750 or so employees, I wonder how many are going to need to actually be in Boston?

Old 01-24-2023, 09:14 AM

yes, my question is serious. I get there are some good reasons to move Boston but kind of surprised at this one. I guess with the economy not being in a great position I'm kind of surprised by this one...but Lego must have money beyond anything I could imagine.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:15 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,324,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Why not Boston? It's more accessible to/from Europe than Enfield and it's going to be easier to attract talent to the Boston area than the Springfield/Hartford area.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:15 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Plenty of reasons. There's a large, skilled workforce here. Lego NA has a decades long partnership with MIT, so R&D connections are already local and in place. Lego Education is already here. There are several major IP firms with HQs or a large presence here. Boston and Logan Airport offer easier access to International HQ in Denmark than the current HQ in Enfield, CT (there are already direct flights to CPH on SAS). Metro Boston is a more appealing and easier draw for potential execs than Enfield. Boston isn't too far from the existing HQ which makes it less of a challenge to move the existing workforce. Any other alternative that checks all of those boxes (NYC, DC, etc.) is going to be similarly expensive if not more so.

It's a good get for Boston, but ultimately won't change a whole lot. I also wouldn't completely bank on it yet either - we're still seeing what the post-COVID work environment is going to look like and 2026 is still a ways off. Of those 750 or so employees, I wonder how many are going to need to actually be in Boston?
That's also something to wonder about. If the employees aren't even going to be in Boston due to remote work (it's never going away) why have the HQ here?

Old 01-24-2023, 09:21 AM

23,623 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im not sure if your question is serious or not.

But if it is, this is why:
-Boston has 2 of the best universities in the world and 40+ amazing institutions.
-Boston has access to the intellectual property a company needs to survive and keep competitive. They may have not had that in CT.
-Its a large dynamic city that has the innovation and access to auxiliary services they wouldnt get in suburban CT or south Georgia.

Yes it is expensive, nice things are expensive. Is Boston overpriced? Hell yes. The fact NJ is cheaper than Eastern MA, who provides about 1/3 the amount of amenities with less maintained towns than East MA is wild. But nonetheless, it has value that companies need to succeed. Thats why other cities like NYC, SF, Austin, LA, DC and Chicago have the vast majority of our industry leaders and Fortune 500 companies despite their COL concerns. Companies NEED to be there.

What now?
The city and region really need to substantially increase their housing supply. Its absolutely ridiculous how poor their output is. Additionally, the public transportation needs to be scaled appropriately. MA cannot keep growing if they don't have the adequate infrastructure to do so.

MA will continue to grow, despite its ups and downs. It will also continue to get even more expensive if town officials, planning boards and transportation agencies don't act fast enough/innovate further. People in MA show up to these town halls crying about how much they hate a new apartment or bus/rail route. Okay fine. Have fun when sitting in your 13 mile, 90 minute commute. Its like, the solution to X is Y .. but you say no to Y and X gets worse and you wonder why X got worse...? Make it make sense for the people in the back.

We've been through this all here a million times over. People are going to vote for their own selfish interests. I do. You do. It's human nature. For things to change and achieve any form of progress, the state needs to dramatically change the way it does business. Quit trying to shove undesirable development down towns' throats through blackmail and threats, and start giving actual INCENTIVES for towns to add housing supply that people actually WANT to live in. There is absolutely zero excuse for why the S Weymouth NAS is not covered with 10K+ new homes by now, other than incompetence and lack of leadership at the state level.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:25 AM

23,623 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

I can't imagine those existing employees jumping up and down about having to relocate to the Boston area, save for maybe the highest level executives that probably already have a condo in Back Bay or Seaport for all we know.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:28 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
We've been through this all here a million times over. People are going to vote for their own selfish interests. I do. You do. It's human nature. For things to change and achieve any form of progress, the state needs to dramatically change the way it does business. Quit trying to shove undesirable development down towns' throats through blackmail and threats, and start giving actual INCENTIVES for towns to add housing supply that people actually WANT to live in. There is absolutely zero excuse for why the S Weymouth NAS is not covered with 10K+ new homes by now, other than incompetence and lack of leadership at the state level.
Again, sprawl is not sustainable. If you complain about traffic, don't propose more car centric development. Thousands and thousands of units have fallen through due to NIMBYism in Greater Boston. I see no other solution then smart cities and sustainable, well thought out, development.

We have the incentives, they vary by state... my point is, if you are worried about getting priced out of Greater Boston, then don't vote against your self interests and future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston