Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 06:47 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1090 Jake from Malden or 1090 Jake from Tampa just doesn't hit the same way.
No it does not.

Though Tampa does have its fair share of tough areas.

But, like Orlando, the association with tourist attractions and sunny weather does not translate well to establishing a gritty persona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 06:38 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Thanks for finding that.

I did search some info on Google but can't always trust what it says especially about people who aren't the highest profile (like politicians, etc). People can put fake info about themselves online, so I wanted to ask real people who live and walk on the streets of Boston daily if they knew anything about 1090.

Pretty much people like this:
You didn't trust the multiple sources that said this guy was from Tampa and so figured you would ask people who live in Boston if they've seen this random YouTube guy hanging around?

Quote:
Someone like Jake....if hes from within 150 miles of Boston is gonna claim Boston when they are trying to be famous. Doesnt matter if they moved when they were 5- it's an easy way to get your socials up.

1090 Jake from Malden or 1090 Jake from Tampa just doesn't hit the same way.
Quote:
No it does not.

Though Tampa does have its fair share of tough areas.

But, like Orlando, the association with tourist attractions and sunny weather does not translate well to establishing a gritty persona.
If you move somewhere as a kid, especially somewhere without a lot of transient residents, you will be the "kid from..." the entire rest of your time there. It's just the way it works. If you move from Malden, a place no one past Rhode Island has likely ever heard of, you aren't going to be "the kid from Malden", you're going to be the kid from the largest nearby city they have heard, which in this case is Boston.

I know people from Boston like to think being from there is so earth-shatteringly cool that people just rush to claim it when it isn't really deserved, but to 99% of the country, the differences between Malden and Boston are so small that they can be easily ignored. Also, the claiming to be from Boston stuff would probably be less common if "Massachusetts" wasn't such a mouthful.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:13 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You didn't trust the multiple sources that said this guy was from Tampa and so figured you would ask people who live in Boston if they've seen this random YouTube guy hanging around?

If you move somewhere as a kid, especially somewhere without a lot of transient residents, you will be the "kid from..." the entire rest of your time there. It's just the way it works. If you move from Malden, a place no one past Rhode Island has likely ever heard of, you aren't going to be "the kid from Malden", you're going to be the kid from the largest nearby city they have heard, which in this case is Boston.

I know people from Boston like to think being from there is so earth-shatteringly cool that people just rush to claim it when it isn't really deserved, but to 99% of the country, the differences between Malden and Boston are so small that they can be easily ignored. Also, the claiming to be from Boston stuff would probably be less common if "Massachusetts" wasn't such a mouthful.
Please stop- Jake is a grown-ass man.

And yes, despite what suburbanites say- they want to say they're from Boston because they think its cool. They either want to seem more urban, more urban, or more interesting when establishing a reputation or making a first impression elsewhere. It is what it is. There is validity in what you said, to be sure. But there's also validity in what I said. Unlike most areas of the county saying you're from a town you're not from is not something we accept or do around here- so when you tell people you're from somewhere youre not it will always appear shady, corny and questionable to people from this area. No amount of protesting will change that perception- locally.

He was born in Malden and raised in Tampa and the non-Bostonian, non-Mass resident agrees....

Saying "from Boston" adds something to his persona and image he is trying to portray which is some white tough guy (goofball). He's trying to move in an urban space, white men from Boston/'Boston' have had more success moving in Urban hip hop spaces (Statik Selektah, Mark Wahlberg, Clinton Sparks, Millyz (albeit Millyz insist on making it clear he is from Cambridge NOT Boston)) than white men from Tampa (none to list). This type of thing is very important in hip hop, for a variety of reasons.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:50 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:

And yes, despite what suburbanites say- they want to say they're from Boston because they think its cool. They either want to seem more urban, more urban, or more interesting when establishing a reputation or making a first impression elsewhere. It is what it is. There is validity in what you said, to be sure. But there's also validity in what I said. Unlike most areas of the county saying you're from a town you're not from is not something we accept or do around here- so when you tell people you're from somewhere youre not it will always appear shady, corny and questionable to people from this area. No amount of protesting will change that perception- locally.

I feel like this has gotten out of control since Boston became "cool" in pop culture. Honestly, what's so hard about just saying you're "from the Boston area"? Even IN Boston, I frequently have people from nearby areas try to tell me they are from Boston. When I find out they are actually from Melrose or wherever (you can usually pick these folks out very easily), my respect for them is instantly diminished. Even if they were a nice person up until that point, they now appear as phony, shady and untrustworthy.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:32 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
white men from Boston/'Boston' have had more success moving in Urban hip hop spaces (Statik Selektah, Mark Wahlberg, Clinton Sparks, Millyz (albeit Millyz insist on making it clear he is from Cambridge NOT Boston))
Benzino's mom is half German, so he's got some white European in his bloodline.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:03 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Never heard of the guy, but if his whole schtick is based on social media, it's a safe assumption that 90% of everything he's claimed is stretched or outright false. Social media personalities don't exactly have a reputation for being honest.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I feel like this has gotten out of control since Boston became "cool" in pop culture. Honestly, what's so hard about just saying you're "from the Boston area"? Even IN Boston, I frequently have people from nearby areas try to tell me they are from Boston. When I find out they are actually from Melrose or wherever (you can usually pick these folks out very easily), my respect for them is instantly diminished. Even if they were a nice person up until that point, they now appear as phony, shady and untrustworthy.
That's the thing- it is incredibly easy to spot someone who is not actually from the city of Boston.

It's beyond out of control. But it's not in our control.

It's not that big a deal but it's very easy to figure out can't pee on my head and tell me it's raining. The bigger deal is the lies folks tell to validate it.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Benzino's mom is half German, so he's got some white European in his bloodline.
- umm, okay. Lol. I'm 10% white too per 23 and me. Welsh mostly.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:18 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
If reddit is to be believed, he actually moved back to Massachusetts, Boston to be specific, in 2018. I have no idea if he says he's from Boston to add something to his image that he is trying to portray, but it seems to have at least been factually correct at some point.

Quote:

This isn't something unique to Boston. People in NYC get equally upset. Same with San Francisco. I can't speak to many other places; it didn't seem to bother people in LA as much. At least with NYC you can say "upstate" and with SF you can say "the Bay" and convey the information quickly. "Eastern Massachusetts" is a mouthful and "near Boston" is almost always heard as "Boston".

Quote:
He was born in Malden and raised in Tampa and the non-Bostonian, non-Mass resident agrees....

Saying "from Boston" adds something to his persona and image he is trying to portray which is some white tough guy (goofball). He's trying to move in an urban space, white men from Boston/'Boston' have had more success moving in Urban hip hop spaces (Statik Selektah, Mark Wahlberg, Clinton Sparks, Millyz (albeit Millyz insist on making it clear he is from Cambridge NOT Boston)) than white men from Tampa (none to list). This type of thing is very important in hip hop, for a variety of reasons.
You may be right in this particular case. I don't know why being from Boston conveys "tough" more than being a convicted felon and having spent years in a Florida prison, but it may to the demographic he appeals to.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If reddit is to be believed, he actually moved back to Massachusetts, Boston to be specific, in 2018. I have no idea if he says he's from Boston to add something to his image that he is trying to portray, but it seems to have at least been factually correct at some point.

This isn't something unique to Boston. People in NYC get equally upset. Same with San Francisco. I can't speak to many other places; it didn't seem to bother people in LA as much. At least with NYC you can say "upstate" and with SF you can say "the Bay" and convey the information quickly. "Eastern Massachusetts" is a mouthful and "near Boston" is almost always heard as "Boston".

You may be right in this particular case. I don't know why being from Boston conveys "tough" more than being a convicted felon and having spent years in a Florida prison, but it may to the demographic he appeals to.
Because people in the rap world think tough white guy or DJ/Producer when they hear Boston from someone who looks like him. From 'Florida' they think Vanilla Ice or Crackhead. The rap world is weird and 100% illogical on many fronts.

Idk if Reddit is to be believed. It seems unlikely to me he'd still live in Boston given ow his stature has gone up and it would remove him from the circles he moves in. Its nearly impossible to live in Boston full time and gain traction in that space. Most all of the Bosotn Hip hop world must move to either LA or NYC.

In LA it doesn't bother people because LAs boundaries are full of holes and gaps and totally irregular shapes. to a wayyyyy higher degree that the Allston/Brighton isthmus. Also in Sun Belt Cities there's constant incorporations and monotonous subdivisions for miles. The distinctions between areas are not as intense.

It's not a Bosotn thing it bothers people in Chicago and Philly too. But Boston is one of the worst offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston