Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 06:32 PM

6,197 posts, read 5,138,645 times

Advertisements

As a frequent air traveler who lives north of the Charles, I'm extremely concerned about this. They're literally asking us to allocate 2 extra hours for travel time each way to/from Logan, during July & August. Curious as to how you guys are planning to deal with this?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/...fficials-warn/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 05:40 AM

16,586 posts, read 8,327,109 times
I read this as, work from home folks. Help out the traffic

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...0Tobin20Bridge

I do have to get to the airport in July so that will stink

Old 06-29-2023, 07:16 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,329,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
As a frequent air traveler who lives north of the Charles, I'm extremely concerned about this. They're literally asking us to allocate 2 extra hours for travel time each way to/from Logan, during July & August. Curious as to how you guys are planning to deal with this?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/...fficials-warn/
I've managed to avoid the issue so far with Logan by not flying in/out during a closure (weekend) or during the busiest commute times of the day.

The upcoming closure will make it harder to do this, but I don't think it'll be too much worse. I'll check traffic when I land and if it says a taxi through Williams is going to be more than 30 minutes to my front door, I'll just blue/orange it home.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:30 AM

12,924 posts, read 22,090,827 times
It's going to be a nightmare for a lot of people. Fortunately for us, it doesn't change anything. Part of the appeal of Eastie for us was airport access. After feeling like a bit of a bust during the pandemic, it's paying big dividends this summer. It's a <15 minute walk to Terminal A, <20 to Terminal E. Tunnel closures and T breakdowns don't change that.

Even if you can access the airport by the Ted Williams Tunnel, I wouldn't. It's going to be a logjam in there and backups on 1A/I-90 lock the airport up as well. The Silver Line will be stuck in all of that traffic. The Blue Line itself should be fine, but the shuttles to the terminals all sit in the same traffic. It could take you 1/2 hour or more to get from the airport station to Terminal E on a shuttle. It's much faster (10 minutes or so) to just walk down service road to Terminal E (access the other terminals through Central Parking or airside connections) from Airport station.

I think the best bet are the ferries. There's a shuttle from the Logan Water Transportation Dock to the the terminals, but it has a back entrance to Terminal A so traffic isn't an issue there like it is on the Blue Line Shuttle or Silver Line. Getting to Terminal B shouldn't be an issue either. But Terminals C and E will be slow. If I'm traveling out of C or E, I'd get off at A and walk through the parking garage (5 minutes). If I'm coming from outside of the area, I'd pay to park (even if it's a premium) near the closest ferry route that would get me to East Boston or Logan and walk from there.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:12 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,825,763 times
Fly out of Providence or Manchester if possible.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Fly out of Providence or Manchester if possible.
Good idea. I was even gonna look at Worcester.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:51 PM

Well, I've got two trips coming up in the next 10 days so I'll get to see for myself. One will have me returning from Logan after midnight Sunday (hopefully no worse than any of the past few weekends), and the other which I'm dreading, I land at Logan on a Friday afternoon.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:34 PM

3,691 posts, read 7,445,775 times
I guess I will find out first hand.

I have a 7 AM flight to Chicago on Thursday and then another early flight to Chicago and an early flight to Fort Lauderdale in August.

I tend to fly out early and come back late, not sure if it will really make too much difference for my travel to and from the North Shore.

Old 07-04-2023, 07:26 AM

9,899 posts, read 7,249,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I guess I will find out first hand.

I have a 7 AM flight to Chicago on Thursday and then another early flight to Chicago and an early flight to Fort Lauderdale in August.

I tend to fly out early and come back late, not sure if it will really make too much difference for my travel to and from the North Shore.
As I've said - use Waze to route you the best way at the time you are coming and leaving. You will probably be sent down 1 to 1A.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As I've said - use Waze to route you the best way at the time you are coming and leaving. You will probably be sent down 1 to 1A.
I go to Logan via the Callahan, and usually there's no delays from the exit to the terminals. But even in normal times, I see the entry way from southbound 1A into Logan totally clogged, bumper-to-bumper. Lord help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston