Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 09:59 AM

5,172 posts, read 2,736,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Nightlife is great but your city better be ready to pay the taxes that's needed to keep things running late such as more police patrolling at night and EMT and fire fighters ready. If your city or town isn't a 24/7 big city don't try to emulate NYC. Then watch your tax bill go up.
Nobody is trying to emulate NYC. Boston has always had a late night scene....until recently that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 11:38 AM

21,793 posts, read 12,954,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The idea of having to get in my car to drive anywhere from the center of Boston for a meal basically puts it in either the no-go or special occasion camp. I'm clearly not alone.
Well then you'd be missing the only Boston restaurant to make the NYTimes 50 best American Restaurants list. its not downtown, its in Dorchester. And that is not surprising to me.

Is this dish Indian? Jamaican? Senegalese? At Comfort Kitchen, those questions are the whole point. Here, the owners Biplaw Rai, who is from Nepal, and Kwasi Kwaa, who is from Ghana, want to illustrate just how connected food traditions are, through ingredients that have traveled across continents, either through forced migration or trade routes. Duck is dusted with jerk seasoning, served alongside Jamaican rice and peas and served with piklizok, a pickled vegetable condiment from Haiti. Okra is seared in brown butter, topped with fried plantain crumbs and served with yogurt seasoned with garam masala from Mr. Rai’s mother. Despite all this zigzagging through countries and flavors, each dish still manages to feel coherent and captivating — like a story unfolding in several parts.

See the full list here.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-america.html

Old 09-20-2023, 11:52 AM

12,976 posts, read 22,157,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Well then you'd be missing the only Boston restaurant to make the NYTimes 50 best American Restaurants list. its not downtown, its in Dorchester. And that is not surprising to me.

Is this dish Indian? Jamaican? Senegalese? At Comfort Kitchen, those questions are the whole point. Here, the owners Biplaw Rai, who is from Nepal, and Kwasi Kwaa, who is from Ghana, want to illustrate just how connected food traditions are, through ingredients that have traveled across continents, either through forced migration or trade routes. Duck is dusted with jerk seasoning, served alongside Jamaican rice and peas and served with piklizok, a pickled vegetable condiment from Haiti. Okra is seared in brown butter, topped with fried plantain crumbs and served with yogurt seasoned with garam masala from Mr. Rai’s mother. Despite all this zigzagging through countries and flavors, each dish still manages to feel coherent and captivating — like a story unfolding in several parts.

See the full list here.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-america.html
Trying one of the "Best Restaurants in America" is something to go out of my way for. Kind of a "special occasion" of sorts. And Comfort Kitchen has been on my radar for a bit (but I haven't been yet). It's just a shame we don't have have more restaurants like it and closer to the city center. As it is, it's a 30 minute drive from me in good conditions and over 45 by T.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:22 PM

21,793 posts, read 12,954,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Trying one of the "Best Restaurants in America" is something to go out of my way for. Kind of a "special occasion" of sorts. And Comfort Kitchen has been on my radar for a bit (but I haven't been yet). It's just a shame we don't have have more restaurants like it and closer to the city center. As it is, it's a 30 minute drive from me in good conditions and over 45 by T.
It says 25 minutes from central 'EaBo' to CK with bad traffic. Hopefully its closer to that for you. I'll be going there sooner than later- probably within the next month. I waited for a long time for them to open.

I did get the chance to go to Nubian market in June. WOW. so good. Check out the menu

I had an amazing black-eyed pea fritter, a lot of their social media shows you exactly how they make their food. And theyve got sit down options as well as grab and go options. They consider themselves a "chef-driven" market.

They update and rotate the menu from more exotic choices to things as simple as a burger (on ethiopian injera)

When it coes to gems liek thes enot being acceisble to tourist and the like that entirely dependent upon the state imo and the overly-invovled neighborhood orgs. With the cost of running a bussiness downtown and all the other regualtions- you might aswell keeep it in your neighborhood.

Heres an article on exactly the sort of thing we have been discussing.
These community leaders want you to pay a visit to Hyde Park
With its bustling commercial district and vibrant mix of cultures, local leaders say Hyde Park isn't getting the recognition it deserves

Asked to name Boston’s iconic cultural hubs — neighborhoods with rich, distinctive histories and thriving small business communities — you might think of Chinatown or the North End. A group of local leaders wants to add Hyde Park to that list, and they met for a virtual panel discussion on Saturday to discuss turning their vision into a reality.

Today, Hyde Park is a majority Black and Hispanic neighborhood with a large Haitian community. With green spaces, a growing commercial district and a suburban feel, its motto is “a small town in the city.”

Boston City Councilors At-Large Ruthzee Louijeune and Julia Mejia joined Thien Simpson, executive director of Hyde Park Main Streets, and Marlon Solomon, founder and Senior Project Engineer at the Afrimerican Culture Initiative, for Saturday’s panel. City of Boston Chief of Community Engagement Brianna Millor moderated the conversation.

“Hyde Park is uniquely positioned here in the city of Boston to really define what culture-building looks like,” Mejia said, “whether it be through the richness of the businesses, the diaspora, [or] the Caribbean communities.”

But Hyde Park isn’t getting the love it deserves from the rest of the city, the panelists said. Raising its profile will require more investment and more programming — with a focus on uplifting the neighborhood’s distinct culture.

The panelists discussed what it means to be a “cultural hub,” and the importance of investing in historically marginalized communities.

“We are such a diverse city, a city where the majority of people are people of color,” Louijeune said. “And so when we’re talking about Boston culture, when folks are limiting that to Boston sports, or just the Museum of Fine Arts, it’s very limiting, and it’s also discriminatory. It’s ignoring our rich immigrant communities, our rich Black communities.

“So when we’re thinking about Boston culture it has to be large enough, and elastic enough, to cover everybody,” she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston