Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 12:53 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
An update to this story from today:
https://www.harvard.com/about/prudentialcenter
Yes, just heard the sad news on WBZ radio.

That space may sit vacant a long time. Not a good look for the Pru, as it's the first space one sees coming off the escalator from Cheesecake Factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 04:17 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

That space may sit vacant a long time. Not a good look for the Pru, as it's the first space one sees coming off the escalator from Cheesecake Factory.
It's got a large footprint, but I'm sure some higher-end chain will find a use for it eventually.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:23 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,700,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
An update to this story from today:
https://www.harvard.com/about/prudentialcenter
That seems like the right decision for them. When I lived in Camberville, I bought books from them frequently. I think I still have a frequent buyer card relic. There’s the right kind of culture for them in Harvard Square. The Pru seems like a bad fit all around, especially at that scale.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:34 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,125,893 times
Crazy to think that if Harvard can't even fund that space, than who will it be?
It seems like that institution has more money than the Catholic church.
Maybe section the space and put a smaller footprint as a bookstore?

Old 02-05-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's independent -- not Harvard-owned.

Old 02-05-2024, 01:51 PM

That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:36 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm curious why Brookline Booksmith never opened another location.

This spot would likely be much too large, but could be condensed, or if not, used also as public event space for book readings and such as well as a takeout cafe like Barnes & Noble had.

Porter Square Books opened another space, a small spot in the expensive Seaport...why not Brookline Booksmith here?

Old 02-07-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I'm curious why Brookline Booksmith never opened another location.

This spot would likely be much too large, but could be condensed, or if not, used also as public event space for book readings and such as well as a takeout cafe like Barnes & Noble had.

Porter Square Books opened another space, a small spot in the expensive Seaport...why not Brookline Booksmith here?
Hell no, that would be the beginning of the end for them. Leave well enough alone. Brookline Booksmith is fine right where it is without overextending itself.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:06 AM

Barnes and Noble has been testing out some smaller footprint stores (Legacy place) that seem to have most of what a lot of people are looking for. I think this could be the next step for them vs. the massive footprint stores they had previously. I was in the Harvard bookstore last night and the downstairs used & discounted section is wonderful. a lot of good brand new titles for 60% off. Place was busier than I remember it ever being. I hope they stay put for a long time. in other news, does anybody know what is going on with the plans for the Garage. Man that place is depressed in it's current state.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:25 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:

The NYSC (BSC) just closed their location in the Pru too. It's a large space, but a little less visible since its entrances were by the bathroom (and external). They cited lease issues as their reason for closing.

Makes me wonder what the Pru's management company's plans are for all that space freeing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston