Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 10:26 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
A reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
I highly doubt it. For starters "reasonable expectation of privacy" is very hard to apply to social media. Just ask the countless examples of individuals and businesses who have had their direct messages shared publicly with no avenue for recourse. Maybe even more importantly, she reached out to him on the business account as the owner of the business. So I don't know how she'd begin to argue that her individual right to a reasonable expectation of privacy was violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 10:36 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
^^ I'd suggest you read the relevant case law about that.
Privacy law is about protecting sensitive details. Had she shared sensitive details, privacy might apply but instead she posted nasty messages on social media. I don't think the customer invaded her privacy by sharing those messages on the internet. I don't believe the messages in question measure up as sensitive information.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Privacy law is about protecting sensitive details. Had she shared sensitive details, privacy might apply but instead she posted nasty messages on social media. I don't think the customer invaded her privacy by sharing those messages on the internet. I don't believe the messages in question measure up as sensitive information.
I wasn't referencing that to you, but to the response above yours. I'm pretty sure the courts have ruled that once you send a message like that to someone, you lose your REP. REP is established by the courts, not by someone's random opinion.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:42 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
I wasn't referencing that to you, but to the response above yours. I'm pretty sure the courts have ruled that once you send a message like that to someone, you lose your REP.
Ok, so we are on the same page.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:09 AM

17,686 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Ok, so we are on the same page.
All of you guys can be on the same page, but you're still wrong.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:18 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
there's no privacy anymore with these situations. People video encounters they have like this with people and post them online and yes people screenshot texts, emails with people/businesses and post them on social.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:58 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
All of you guys can be on the same page, but you're still wrong.
I'm open to being wrong, so feel free to post your source on that. Otherwise you're just talking out of your culo, as usual. Nothing new there.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:24 PM

17,686 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
I'm open to being wrong, so feel free to post your source on that. Otherwise you're just talking out of your culo, as usual. Nothing new there.
Contact a lawyer and ask them to explain it to you.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:08 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the courts have ruled that once you send a message like that to someone, you lose your REP. REP is established by the courts, not by someone's random opinion.
There are numerous rulings along those lines. I remember this one from Rhode Island in the news several years ago ("The high court ruled that a person does not retain a reasonable expectation of privacy on text messages sent to another person’s phone."). There are even more examples of DMs being shared publicly on social media and those DMs going viral (remember Adam Levine?). The other layer is that "Jen Royle" didn't send those messages to the customer from Jen Royle's personal account. "The owner of Table" sent them to the customer from Table's business account. There's a big difference in terms of expectations of privacy between two individuals sending messages to each other and a business sending messages to a customer.

She can absolutely sue him for damages to her reputation from the screen shots going viral. She can sue for whatever she wants. But I doubt any sensible attorney would advise that she pursue such a suit because it's unlikely that any court would rule in her favor.

Old 02-29-2024, 01:10 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A cancellation fee is one thing...but a $250 one? It's polite and good form to let them know if you need to cancel, but charging a fee seems obnoxious. Is the restaurant incapable of getting any walk ins if someone cancels or filling the spot with someoen else? Is it reservation only? Most restaurants operate fine on reservations and walk ins these days...not to mention take out but I'm guessing table doesn't get many take out orders.

I can see it being annoying if someone is a no show but it doesn't seem right to charge a no show $250! Things happen in life. A reservation at a restaurant shouldn't be that much of a commitment, my gosh.

My dentist charges $50 if someone cancels within less than 24 hours. I thought something about that seemed kind of rude as well. There's something about it that just seems tacky. I can get another dentist...just like someone else can go to another restaurant. These places need customer business more than customers need them. Not cool IMO.
I think it depends on how far before the time the reservation was for that the cancellation occurred. 48 hours before, the restaurant should be able to find someone on a wait-list, if they are booked. An hour before, not so much. If the restaurant is not operating in sold-out conditions there is less justification for a cancellation fee than if they actually lose money from having an empty seat in an otherwise-full restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston