Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Faulty logic. The customer asked the CC company to do the chargeback.
The customer was unexpectedly hospitalized. If that is not a valid reason to waive a cancellation fee then I have no idea what is a valid reason to do so. Ironically if the customer had died instead of being hospitalized, the restaurant owner probably would have kept the cancellation fee as I would doubt the customer's estate would have noticed the credit card charge in time to contest it. Honestly the only thing I find faulty about this entire story is the business model of the restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 09:04 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default re

Quote:
The way I see it, this type of reservation is roughly the equivalent of buying a ticket to a game or a concert. If for whatever reason you can't attend the game or concert, you can't get your money back.
A meal at a restaurant should not be the equivalent to seeing a concert/game. If a restaurant thinks they're so exclusive and they want to take it to that level then they should treat their 'reservations' as tickets so the customers knows when they sign up they are basically spending $250. Clearly this customer didn't know what he was getting himself into. I'm skeevy about giving my CC info to a restaurant when making a reservation...if i did, then didn't make it to a reservation i'd be mad as hell to see that i was charged $250 (for nothing!) and i would certainly be fighting it.

It's pretty common that if you buy a ticket to a game or concert and then can't make it you can sell the tickets to someone else. I don't think restaurants should be treated the same way as a Taylor swift concert or Bruins game.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:05 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
That's a tough one. I see both sides of this, but at the same time if the restaurants policy is to charge a $250 cancellation fee, than that's what the policy is. You can play the sympathy card for being in the hospital (i would) but if they say no, then what more can you do?

Using your CC to bypass that and get a refund? Well, i can see why folks would do this but essentially you are saying "Nope your policy doesn't apply to me". SO i can understand the rant from the restaurant.

I'm actually leaning towards the restaurant in this case. I don't necessarily agree with how they handled it though.

A friend of mine works at Childrens doing ear tubes (for those with chronic ear infections). They explained to me that parents would always call at the last min and back out. You can certainly understand why, but she told me all the work behind the scenes to prep for that procedure only to have it cancelled last min. It may be aligning schedules, support, not allowing certain other appointments/procedures to be scheduled, etc. I know medical is not the same as a restaurant, but no shows generally are frowned upon everywhere and some folks don't give a hoot in the world to it.

Perhaps it's just my personality which gives me this opinion. I'm the type of person where if i say i'll be there at 1PM next Tue....i'm there at 1PM on the dot.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:11 AM

I agree, no shows s*ck but it kind of comes with the territory in the service industry. If no shows are that expensive and annoying for your business then you should perhaps think of a different model or do something that isn't so dependent on strictly reservations. As I said above things do come up in life...and i don't think it's fair for someone to be charged $250 because they couldn't make it to a meal at your restaurant. Do I think it's ok to just blow reservations off? No, but it happens. Hell people blow off job interviews, plans with friends, etc.

At the end of the day I won't be giving my credit card to anyone when making a reservation. A hotel even allows you to get your money back if you cancel.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:18 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
. A hotel even allows you to get your money back if you cancel.
All the hotels i've booked with had one. Some have needed 7 days notice. Some as little as 2.

Had to deal with this a lot last winter when trying to get away and juggling sick kids. Usually my wife could convince them to waive the cancellation fee if we could rebook at a later date. Sometimes we ended up paying a cancellation fee.

Even my kids pediatrician has a notice about possibly charging for no shows.

Quote:
If no shows are that expensive and annoying for your business then you should perhaps think of a different model or do something that isn't so dependent on strictly reservations.

I would think if they are popular enough they could fill the table with walk-ins? The only thing I can think of is if they booked the table on a slow night and they called in staff for a large party. FOlks are freeing up schedules and planning to work and then it gets cancelled. But typically with most restaurants i'd be pissed if i showed up for a table with reservation and had to wait an hour because they don't have one. But at the same time, a restaurant taking a reservation and holding a table for a no-show is also turning away business to do so. Sucks all around.

Reminds me of a good sienfield episold.
https://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM?si=gLbLRH4gIjw_7YZN

Old 02-28-2024, 09:21 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
I agree, no shows s*ck but it kind of comes with the territory in the service industry. If no shows are that expensive and annoying for your business then you should perhaps think of a different model or do something that isn't so dependent on strictly reservations. As I said above things do come up in life...and i don't think it's fair for someone to be charged $250 because they couldn't make it to a meal at your restaurant. Do I think it's ok to just blow reservations off? No, but it happens. Hell people blow off job interviews, plans with friends, etc.

At the end of the day I won't be giving my credit card to anyone when making a reservation. A hotel even allows you to get your money back if you cancel.
I always try to arrange at least 72 hours before any cancellation to give the business or organization time to fill the slot and I wholeheartedly agree that thoughtless or last-minute no-shows are unacceptable but that is not the issue in this case as the customer ended up in the hospital. If a business can't cope with the occasional circumstance like that then it really isn't viable.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:28 AM

Default ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I always try to arrange at least 72 hours before any cancellation to give the business or organization time to fill the slot and I wholeheartedly agree that thoughtless or last-minute no-shows are unacceptable but that is not the issue in this case as the customer ended up in the hospital. If a business can't cope with the occasional circumstance like that then it really isn't viable.
agreed. I mean there are other business out there that send free replacements and free stuff to people. When you run a business sometimes you just have to put the customer first. Not anymore though for many.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:55 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I read all the back and forth messages. This owner is a nutcase. Even her response to reviews makes you wonder if she actually has a severe personality disorder. I would never in a million years consider patronizing such a place.

ANd his sign off "Have the day you deserve.". That's going into my personal archive of "how to communicate with a-holes".

Old 02-28-2024, 09:55 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Faulty logic. The customer asked the CC company to do the chargeback.
Completely illogical. The credit card company took the action.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:56 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I read all the back and forth messages. This owner is a nutcase. Even her response to reviews makes you wonder if she actually has a severe personality disorder. I would never in a million years consider patronizing such a place.
I've never been to her restaurant and I'll never go. Too many other places to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston