Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 05:14 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times

Advertisements

I had this same question a few weeks ago after meeting with clients on the south coast (Fall River area) who, coincidentally, are construction industry adjacent.

When we said we work in the financial district in Boston, they said "oh you work in town" and I was wondering where it came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 10:53 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
It's probably a holdover from when titans of industry moved out to the country to places like Brookline and Medford. Going into Boston meant going back into town much like farmers did before.

Growing up in Somerville, I knew people that said "we're going into town for dinner" or "we went to town to shop at Filene's." And that was in the 70's. I'll occasionally say to people I know will understand what it means.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:19 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's probably a holdover from when titans of industry moved out to the country to places like Brookline and Medford. Going into Boston meant going back into town much like farmers did before.
I think it might just be another thing we “borrowed” from [Old] England.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_town

Apparently, it’s common terminology used in the vicinity of London.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,892 times
I have always said this when heading into DTX, Theater District, Back Bay, North End and immediate surrounding areas.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:56 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
Boston is a metropolis with the soul of a town. In both good* and bad ways. While people refer to NYC and SFO as "The City" and DC as "The District", a lot of people in and around Boston have long referred to it as "town" in the sense of the central "Town" (let's just put the old use of "The Town" for Charlestown to one side for the purpose of this discussion).

* Most recently, I observed this after the Marathon bombings: it seemed everyone and their mother was within only 2-3 degrees of separation from people who were on the or near final stretch of Boylston Street at the time of the bombing, had run the race, were first responders and public safety people dealing with the injured and the manhunt. The Boston area is really tight that way. (I suspect Philly is like that too.)

Old 04-02-2024, 02:29 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
In French, for Montreal, we say: "en ville" too, even when it comes from inner city neighborhood folk gravitating towards the center.

Maybe less so for English speaking Montrealers, I don’t know. It’s a two headed hydra of a city here.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 58 times
I've always said in town, especially with regard to Boston proper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston