Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think a lot of people put up with the real estate prices in Boston because of the job they have here and the public education is good. Not because MA is this fabulous, magical place to live.
Something I've said on this forum since 2012 when I was 18.... But until very recently it was scoffed at.

I have always maintained Bosotn is not a lifestyle city. Its a capital/employment city...that is primarily what keeps it from being Providence/Pittbsurgh/Cleveland/Buffalo. Not anything else

Its probably truER now than it was then, but still true.

Most of the things that appeal to AMERICAN BORN people improve its desirability to outsiders- posters here, and most older MA residents, do not want. Theyve been abundantly clear on this... I don't think they realize that fact though. You all just want foreigners to stop coming here..I think?

MA residents cant complain about COL and lifestyle and then crap on every other city or state and how they do things to make things cheaper and more palatable to standard Americans and not just old Boston area homeowning fogeys.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-17-2024 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 09:01 AM

16,340 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I most certainly think real estate in MA has become overpriced in the past 4-5 years. It has always been expensive but it is absurd now.

Do I think MA is a bad place to live? No. Boston is a great city, it's on the water, has the good public schools (not so much BPS), it's not difficult to find employment...but I still can't believe what people will pay to live here. I was born here, my husband was born here, my parents are still here, I have no plans to leave. I'm sure many are in a situation like me where we are just watching the rising prices and thinking wow.

I went to the Franklin park zoo the other day and it was $75 for myself, an 8 year old and a senior citizen. The last time I went an adult ticket was around $17. So it's not just real estate prices....if you live in Boston and want to take advantage of activities you'll pay for that as well. Also the zoo was mobbed because it was a free day for any kid attending BPS....I'm gonna guess that's a reason the tickets for everyone else went up. Seems to be a trend around here!

the price of living in MA is pretty high.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:24 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Texans might tell you that Californians are turning their heaven into hell. And why are "all the Calfornians" fleeing their own heaven?
As has been said several times, because they're priced out. When their income stream gives them the choice of living in a 800 square foot run-down home in San Jose versus a 4,000 square foot McMansion overlooking a park in Texas, there's a good number of people willing to let go of the location in return for the home.

They're not going there because Texas is some utopia thay've dreamed of living in; they're going because they can live like kings in Texas instead of living like peasants in California.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:27 AM

I've heard people complain plenty about CA...people who are well able to afford it. Many have left CA because of the politics there.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:27 AM

4,220 posts, read 1,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
As has been said several times, because they're priced out. When their income stream gives them the choice of living in a 800 square foot run-down home in San Jose versus a 4,000 square foot McMansion overlooking a park in Texas, there's a good number of people willing to let go of the location in return for the home.

They're not going there because Texas is some utopia thay've dreamed of living in; they're going because they can live like kings in Texas instead of living like peasants in California.
They've got 48 other choices.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:06 AM

5,099 posts, read 2,661,482 times
They go to CA because it's a utopia? Interesting.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:21 AM

CA is a huge state...to think of it as all the same is dumb. If you are able to move to CA and live in La Jolla, Coronado, Corona Del Mar you'll experience a whole different world living in Chula Vista, Poway or Ramona.

A lot the comments on these threads are the typical elitist comments i'd expect...too bad for you, you have to move, you can't afford it. Should desirable states only be for rich people now?

Old 04-17-2024, 12:51 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
They go to CA because it's a utopia? Interesting.
I mean I lived 2 hours from the ocean, 2 hours from Yosemite, 2 hours from Tahoe, 2 hours from active volcanoes, year round biking on pristine roads and trails :shrug:

The two seasons being hot and dry or cool and wet killed it for me.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:21 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I mean I lived 2 hours from the ocean, 2 hours from Yosemite, 2 hours from Tahoe, 2 hours from active volcanoes, year round biking on pristine roads and trails :shrug:

The two seasons being hot and dry or cool and wet killed it for me.
I mean MA is pretty good when it comes to being close to the ocean and mountains thing. The weather? oh well. some love it. I happen to be one of those idiots. I think MA is appealing to a lot of people. Desirable? sure, if you can afford it.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:46 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Fleeing taxpayers leave a heavier wagon with fewer horses to pull it, and we know how that ends. Folks in this big and beautiful country vote with their feet. Always have and always will.
They also create a heavier wagon where they end up and without creating “more horses” if they aren’t expected to contribute as much of their earnings to whatever state they end up in. It’s easier for newer places to look nicer, but maintenance of aging infrastructure without a strong tax base is a losing game.

Texas already has a hard time maintaining its power grid. I’m sure adding 4 million more users and 30 years of wear and tear isn’t going to improve things there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston