Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 08:42 AM

4,252 posts, read 1,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Pittsburgh (the city) is pretty nice. Not entirely sure why it gets dumped on. Id love to go back.
"Boring."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 08:43 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Pittsburgh (the city) is pretty nice. Not entirely sure why it gets dumped on. Id love to go back.
I'm not dumping on it. I'm just saying it isn't as desirable as Marin County, which is why houses in Marin County cost 4x (or more) what they cost in Pittsburgh. If Marin County were suddenly even money compared to Pittsburgh, we'd see an exodus from Pittsburgh. I'm only illustrating that net migration is a product of much more than just desirability. Cost is a big driver.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:44 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I detest the concept of "blue" vs. "red" cities. We never used that kind of terminology even just 10 yrs ago, which makes it clear that it's a right wing media concoction. I consider them all to be American cities, and we should all have a stake in quality of life in those cities...be they Charlotte or Baltimore or Boston.
Any time I read a poster using these terms to refer to things, I can pretty much tell where it's going. It's really sad that people chose to view this country as divided groups.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Desirability is a completely subjective term. Completely. The vast majority of Americans are desirous of affordable housing and reasonable levels of taxation.
Except it isn't. We can look at housing prices and see what the market deems desirable. That doesn't mean no individuals disagree, but we're talking about the totality of the market. And you're making my point for me -- people may desire Seattle more if the money were even, but they'll leave Seattle to move to Pittsburgh because they also desire affordability.

You were making the point that net migration numbers tell us these "desirable" cities aren't that desirable. I'm pointing out the flaw in your analysis.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Any time I read a poster using these terms to refer to things, I can pretty much tell where it's going. It's really sad that people chose to view this country as divided groups.
What country isn't divided groups. My opinion is that we've reached a point of fundamental differences great enough to support separate countries. If it wasn't completely impractical. And you're agreeing with a poster who detests red vs. blue.....yet blames right wing conservatives in the same breath. It's ingrained.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:55 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
What country isn't divided groups. My opinion is that we've reached a point of fundamental differences great enough to support separate countries. If it wasn't completely impractical. And you're agreeing with a poster who detests red vs. blue.....yet blames right wing conservatives in the same breath. It's ingrained.
Yes. The party you're referencing does nothing but blame one side....constantly.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Except it isn't. We can look at housing prices and see what the market deems desirable. That doesn't mean no individuals disagree, but we're talking about the totality of the market. And you're making my point for me -- people may desire Seattle more if the money were even, but they'll leave Seattle to move to Pittsburgh because they also desire affordability.

You were making the point that net migration numbers tell us these "desirable" cities aren't that desirable. I'm pointing out the flaw in your analysis.
People go where the jobs are...there are lots of higher ups of large corporations who live in the Boston/Cambridge area. It isn't rocket science.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

Which do they desire more, Seattle.....or affordability? Housing prices are also dictated greatly by supply available.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Which do they desire more, Seattle.....or affordability? Housing prices are also dictated greatly by supply available.
You're still getting mixed up in the words here. There is raw desirability (Where would I live if I could live anywhere?) and all-in desirability (given my budget and all of my needs, where should I live?). You were arguing that these cities were not that desirabile in terms of raw desirability because people are leaving them (which isn't true, but that's another point). I'm simply pointing out that, to whatever extent people are leaving them, it has nothing to do with their raw desirability. It's because they can't afford them.

This really is like saying McDonald's is more desirable than Ruth's Chris because people desire cheaper food and more people opt for McDonald's." That's not the typical usage of "desirable." They desire Ruth's Chris more, but practical realities dictate that McDonald's is more popular.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:16 AM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
What is your point ? No one said Boston is undesirable but many people are here because they NEED to be. Then once they can leave they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston