Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:26 AM

76 posts, read 125,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrac View Post
Take 84 to Scranton PA to 81 through VA to 77 through NC SC then 26 in SC to 95 south. fastest most beautiful path to FL in the summer And Not one CENT in tolls (saves nearly $70 nowadays) I just took that 3 weeks ago.
Plus you avoid the big 5 (NY NJ DE MD DC)
I always use this route. Great scenery, little traffic, and no tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,820 times
Question Moving from Worcester ma to Lakeland florida driving 12 ft budget rental truck best route with minimum tolls and truck restrictions

Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 PM

341 posts, read 302,366 times
Quote:
Take 84 to Scranton PA to 81 through VA to 77 through NC SC then 26 in SC to 95 south. fastest most beautiful path to FL in the summer And Not one CENT in tolls (saves nearly $70 nowadays) I just took that 3 weeks ago.
Love this route. Especially in PA where you're driving on the mountain tops and look down at all the small towns.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,188 times
Quote:
Just used this route last month. Other than a little construction going on northeast of Harrisburg, PA and congestion around Waterbury, CT this route was great. And yup, avoids most of the congested northeast cities.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
comfort inn did allow my 2 dogs when I came to Florida.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Just used this route last month. Other than a little construction going on northeast of Harrisburg, PA and congestion around Waterbury, CT this route was great. And yup, avoids most of the congested northeast cities.
That route is longer in mileage and time but much more relaxing and an overall easier drive with plenty of nicer, inexpensive places to eat/stay and gas up.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Generally do the 90 to 84/Tappan Zee route, then Jersey Turnpike down to where it becomes 95 again, then 95 the rest of the way.

However, if you are hitting it at the right time, then when you're in the NYC vicinity, it actually can be fastest to go through NYC.

Download Waze into your phone and it will tell you which way to go when you are actually driving. Best app ever.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
That route is longer in mileage and time but much more relaxing and an overall easier drive with plenty of nicer, inexpensive places to eat/stay and gas up.
True, on all counts. Worth the extra miles, especially considering I despise traffic jams.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Generally do the 90 to 84/Tappan Zee route, then Jersey Turnpike down to where it becomes 95 again, then 95 the rest of the way.

However, if you are hitting it at the right time, then when you're in the NYC vicinity, it actually can be fastest to go through NYC.

Download Waze into your phone and it will tell you which way to go when you are actually driving. Best app ever.
Definitely download it. Waze is awesome. I use it every day. I've noticed that it's not perfect in many cases. If it suggests that you leave the highway in traffic and use surface roads, you could end up losing time as it's not the best at accounting for stoppage time at traffic lights (especially if traffic is heavy enough for multiple cycles). I've also had incidents where it's routed me through really crappy roads (in MA), sometimes dirt surface. It also has a hard time accounting for turn spots on divided roadways. On Route 6 in Dartmouth, Waze would try to take me 3 miles out of my way to get home when I lived there because the turn openings in the median weren't accounted for (I could turn left directly on my street, but Waze wanted me to drive 1.5 miles up to the next light and turn).

Waze also doesn't account for peak/off-peak traffic ahead of time which can hurt you on a long trip. Meaning Waze will calculate your route based on current conditions. So if you're leaving the house at 3:30 a.m., Waze may route you on 95 the whole way because traffic is minimal the whole way. By the time you hit New York City, you're in a log jam of traffic and it's so far out of your way to 84/81/77, etc. that you just have to live with it. For example (this happened to me and I "tested" it once), I left a ski area in New Hampshire at about 4:30 p.m. on a Wednesday. Waze suggested I go 495 and some secondary roads to get home on the South Coast of MA. because traffic was heavy. Had I taken that route, I would have added a bunch of miles and time. Instead, I chose to go I-93 the whole way because I knew that traffic would be flowing better by the time i hit Boston. I ended up getting home about 20 minutes before what Waze's ETA was at the time I hit the I-93/495 Junction in Andover. So it goes both ways.

I would definitely recommend Waze. It's hands-down the best navigation app and it's free. But I would also be careful if/when the time comes that Waze re-routes you off of a major roadway or if you punch in your route at an off-peak time and Waze suggests traveling through a major city. It's awesome for things like police, traffic, hazards, traffic cameras, etc. but like most technology, it's an aid, not a crutch. It's most effective if you use your best judgment and don't rely entirely on it.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Definitely download it. Waze is awesome. I use it every day. I've noticed that it's not perfect in many cases. If it suggests that you leave the highway in traffic and use surface roads, you could end up losing time as it's not the best at accounting for stoppage time at traffic lights (especially if traffic is heavy enough for multiple cycles). I've also had incidents where it's routed me through really crappy roads (in MA), sometimes dirt surface. It also has a hard time accounting for turn spots on divided roadways. On Route 6 in Dartmouth, Waze would try to take me 3 miles out of my way to get home when I lived there because the turn openings in the median weren't accounted for (I could turn left directly on my street, but Waze wanted me to drive 1.5 miles up to the next light and turn).

Waze also doesn't account for peak/off-peak traffic ahead of time which can hurt you on a long trip. Meaning Waze will calculate your route based on current conditions. So if you're leaving the house at 3:30 a.m., Waze may route you on 95 the whole way because traffic is minimal the whole way. By the time you hit New York City, you're in a log jam of traffic and it's so far out of your way to 84/81/77, etc. that you just have to live with it. For example (this happened to me and I "tested" it once), I left a ski area in New Hampshire at about 4:30 p.m. on a Wednesday. Waze suggested I go 495 and some secondary roads to get home on the South Coast of MA. because traffic was heavy. Had I taken that route, I would have added a bunch of miles and time. Instead, I chose to go I-93 the whole way because I knew that traffic would be flowing better by the time i hit Boston. I ended up getting home about 20 minutes before what Waze's ETA was at the time I hit the I-93/495 Junction in Andover. So it goes both ways.

I would definitely recommend Waze. It's hands-down the best navigation app and it's free. But I would also be careful if/when the time comes that Waze re-routes you off of a major roadway or if you punch in your route at an off-peak time and Waze suggests traveling through a major city. It's awesome for things like police, traffic, hazards, traffic cameras, etc. but like most technology, it's an aid, not a crutch. It's most effective if you use your best judgment and don't rely entirely on it.
It definitely will do some funky things when you're doing local driving. But generally, for larger trips where it's mostly highway, it does a great job of directing you to a different route if there is a detour, accident, heavy traffic, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston