Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Imagine this guy against guys at 160. Hey, I already see that people think McGregor did well in this fight. If they put him in with GGG or Canelo and make Steven Smoger the ref, it could result in one of the worst beatings every distributed in boxing history.
Agreed!

Floyd always sits back to observe the rhythm and timing of his opponent. Conor was gassed even with Floyd fighting conservative early. If Floyd came out more aggressive or if Conor fought 28-year old Floyd, this fight is over inside of 5 rounds. As it is, if Conor fought a GGG or Canelo....he'd have been in the hospital.

MMA requires lots of skill but because you can win in so many different ways, it's easier to negate shortcomings in your repertoire. If you get gassed, you can go for a take-down and use technique instead of raw strength to keep your opponent locked down. In boxing, keeping those hands up while maintaining footwork and punching someone else is much more taxing than people realize. Conor was busy but he wasn't connecting on any punches. His power was overrated as well. He's got about the same punching power as Floyd and Floyd is not known as a particularly hard hitter with the brittle bones in his hands. Not sure Conor's chin could handle a boxer with really heavy hands....AND Conor walks around in the 170's. He was probably 15-20 lbs heavier than Floyd on fight night.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:51 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,697,870 times
The fight ended up pretty much like we expected.
As an Irishman I wish McGregor was not such a loudmouth.
Mayweather fans have to be happy.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:22 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
The fight was a mismatch. A 20 year + boxing pro who is a master in defensive boxing vs an amateur in boxing. (yes, he has MMA experience but they are not all utilized in boxing). The results of the fight should be to no surprise to anyone that knows about boxing. Mayweather fighting in a MMA match would see him lose in the 1st or 2nd round since it would be a mismatch for him. In the end, both men are winners with big paydays.

Mayweather wanted an easy fight. He didn't want to fight anyone with boxing experience since there might be a small chance that he could lose. (a rematch with Canelo know that he has experience might have different results. A match with GGG, etc.) I feel like Mayweather wanted to get his 50-0 record and saw out an easy opponent and a big payday. Mcgregor was just that. He has 0 experience in boxing, he has a large fanbase in the MMA world, and he knows how to SELL a fight. (this is something the majority of his opponents failed at.) Remember this PPV sold at $100.00.

I don't see conor fighting again in boxing. Hopefully, he returns to the UFC and fights Jose Aldo, Nate Diaz, Tony Ferguson and maybe superfight with GSP. I can see Conor retiring after 3 or 4 fights at a young age.

I hope he doesn't fight Khabib Nurmagomedov since that might not end well for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.