Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

I know Roy Jones has his many fans, but I never was impressed with him as a fighter. He had great reflexes, was always in superb condition, and produced some electrifying knockouts. But he was very overrated as a boxer. He fought in a safety-first fashion, always ever-conscious of that suspect jaw. Almost all of his opponents were no match for him athletically or physically and he looked greate beating up inferior opponents. When he fought someone comparable, he was tested and his career was never the same after he got tagged.

I was very tired of his act too with all the rap music. Such a far cry from Sugar Ray Robinson who came into the ring without fanfare before putting on a masterful performance. After Robinson lost the title to Randy Turpin in London, he was humble in defeat and gracious, stating that he hopes to regain the title and bring it back to America. He apologized for his performance and felt he had let his country down. Such a far cry from the ridiculous loud-mouth hip-hop dominated act that Roy Jones brought to the ring. Such a lack of class. "Y'll must have forgot" was a shameful display of this nonsense. Robinson was really before my time, but his approach to the ring was the gold standard.

So for me at least, Roy Jones has always been just a good fighter, but not great. Arguably Calzaghe was better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
well calzaghe has mostly fought guys that were inferior to him as well except for mikkel kessler

they should have a rematch

RJJ should have stayed retired, this fight never should have happened

I think Pavlik's style would have given Calzaghe problems

Pavlik's jab-cross would catch calzaghe when he is doing is slapping flurry

Old 11-11-2008, 01:44 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Anyone saw roy's cut eye? that was roy's first cut ever in his career, not a pretty sight.

Roy should hang the gloves already, he doesn't have it in him anymore.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Yes, he should hang up the gloves, but something tells me that he won't. I think a fight against Hopkins is out there for him, but as Hopkins said, Jones doesn't want to fight him.

I grew tired of his act a long time ago because his reputation was built on fighters who didn't stand a chance, except for Tarver and Johnson and we saw what happened.

I wonder who he seeks as his next opponent. Maybe he'll try to coax Matthew Saad Muhammad out of retirement?

Matthew Saad speaks here and Jones probably thinking he would make a great opponent now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a--titf0nM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing