Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,299 times

Advertisements

If a female was thinking about moving to Bozeman, MT from TN and she was a lpn would she have trouble finding a joba nd affordable housing there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,984,032 times
I'm not sure about the job situation, but affordable housing is next to impossible for any middle class person. If you're going to work in Bozeman you will want to look at living in Three Forks or Manhattan, possible Belgrade.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,599,928 times
Hello almeeks

My wife is an LPN and if you want to work in the geriatrics or Developmentally Diabled fields, there are usually jobs available. Hospital work or office work with a doctor is sometimes available, but fewer positions are available.

Wages are nothing to brag about, and you would be living very close to the bone in Bozeman, but yes you could probably find a job. Traveling from a small town outside of Bozeman (Springhill, Belgrade, Manhattan, Churchhill, Gallatin Gateway, etc) would probably give you better rent prices, but the roads can be rough in the winter.

Check out Montana Employment Opportunties - mt.gov - Montana's Official State Website for jobs across the state. Many small towns are looking for good help with their senior centers or retirement homes and are far cheaper to live in than Bozeman. Escpecially in the eastern and central parts of the state.

If you are open to other places, there is a good chance you could find a job with reasonable living expenses, if you are set on Bozeman, it could be tough.

Good Luck

Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,007,023 times
The housing market is much more affordable now in Bozeman than it had been for a few years when prices had gone up.
There are plenty of reasonable rentals available now. Nurses are always in demand. I've lived in Bozeman for 40 years. Be positive and you will be fine.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM

323 posts, read 1,133,068 times
Rentals in Bozeman aren't quite as bad as they were even a year or so ago, and it seems prices to buy are down as well.
I'm not sure what you being a female has anything to do with it, but I think anyone who wants to be here can make it work.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM

92 posts, read 316,147 times
A single person can do OK, especially if they make more than minimum wage. Granted, being a university town, the rent is going to be artificially high, but it is livable. I saw an ad at the Pickel Barrel for rent for $375 a month, which probably isn't too out of line. If you can share a place with several people, the rent can certainly get lower.

If I worked in Bozeman, I'd probably try and live in Bozeman, since commuting any length is pretty nutty in Montana with the winters. I thought anyone even driving from Belgrade (~8 miles away) was pretty nuts.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 AM

152 posts, read 331,369 times
Why Bozeman?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,130,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post
Why Bozeman?
Hey you folks....................

How do you like Hamilton & the Bitterroot...........How does your wife like MDMH?

Just wondering....................

Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,599,928 times
Hey Montana Griz.

How have you been doing? Good to see you on the boards

I like the Bitterroot and Hamilton just fine, I haven't spent enough time there to give any advice on it, I leave that to you

As to MDMH, If you are referencing the Montana Department of Mental Health, the wife doesn't have a lot to do with them. That is what the owners of the company she works for and their managers do. She just has to fill out mountains of paperwork to comply with all the regulations from all the various departments.

She works in a group home to give Developmentally Disabled clients a safe homelike setting to live in rather than an institutional environment.
She has 8 clients and she loves what she does. Glad she does because I would never have enough patience.

I guess she got a lot of practice living around me huh LOL!!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM

152 posts, read 331,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey you folks....................

How do you like Hamilton & the Bitterroot...........How does your wife like MDMH?

Just wondering....................
Loving it. Except the bar exam I have to take tomorrow.

The job is wonderful. She is really coming into her own and it is clearly appreciated.

The view from the house we are renting is like being on vacation every day.

We have really enjoyed the down to earth nature of most people and especially the great work ethic.

The hardest thing to get used to is the sunlight. The funniest moment on that subject was my mother in law who lives in San Diego complaining out having to move the visor in the car so she could see!

Our poor light deprived eyes weren't ready for it.

Won't be able to hike much after a run-in with a spruce grouse on the Bear Creek Overlook trail.

How have you been? Are you in the Root or elsewhere? If my memory serves correctly (which isn't as good as it used to be), I think you are close by.

My favorite Montana Law: It isn't no trespassing unless they post a sign or tell you to get off the property.

Two weeks ago in an attempt to avoid the road construction on 93, I took what on Google Maps appeared to be a through road called MacLay Ranch Road. It moved up and crossed over the Bitterroot between Lolo and Stevi. I realized that google had lead me astray when I came to fence after about 2-4 miles of driving. I noticed the fence had a make shift gate made of wire and some poles that were attached to the remainder of the fence by a couple of loops of wire; one at the top and another at the bottom. I should have released the bottom loop first, because as I pushed to top loop up over the pole of the make shift gate the released tension bashed the pole right into my lip. I moved the car through and reset the fence and considered the fat lip a good lesson learned. The no trespassing sign was of course on the other side of the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman