Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

I haven't lived in Three Forks so can't offer much opinion on that one. If you are moving to the area I would choose Livingston. The cost of living is lower but keep in mind that does not mean it is cheap. The wind does get severe so that will take some getting used to. The town has a surprisingly active nightlife, and even though there are lots of barflies, most of the bars are pretty fun. Livingston is also much less pretentious than Bozeman is. People there will often talk about the Bozeman Pass being dangerous, but for the most part it really isn't that bad. Just avoid it if the weather seems too severe. Summers in Livingston are also a lot of fun with the Yellowstone River.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
With the cost of living as high as it is in Bozeman I'd choose to live in Livingston. I grew in Bozeman and love it a lot but it's too expensive for our family of 6 and for some reason the construction industry in MT does not pay well at all.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
With the cost of living as high as it is in Bozeman I'd choose to live in Livingston. I grew in Bozeman and love it a lot but it's too expensive for our family of 6 and for some reason the construction industry in MT does not pay well at all.
Sadly very few industries pay well in Montana.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Sadly very few industries pay well in Montana.

Ain't that the truth.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Regarding living expenses in Bozeman, I am actually seeing a lot of rentals open around town, so if you look hard enough for them, affordable places are here.
yes they are-we were looking at Belgrade initially, but the prices were not that much higher in Bozeman, which eliminates that unpleasant commute for the Wife's job.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM

22 posts, read 79,333 times
I've had several people tell me to look at (or on the way to) Big Sky. I know it is a little farther outside of Bozeman than I had wanted, just curious of any opinions of that area.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Big Sky is a playground for the rich and shameless, kind of a Beverly Hills North with better air.

It is a beautiful place with outstanding game and fishing, heavy snows in the winter, roads can be very tricky traveling back and forth to Bozeman. Kind of Isolated as it is located in Gallatin Canyon so you have to drive out one end or the other before you can go anyplace else.

Very touristy, the ski run is ok I guess, ( I don't ski so no first hand knowledge), land is super expensive.

Most of the folks who live there do it part time as they will own a condo or time share in Big Sky, but live somewhere else. The few folks who work there in service jobs usually can't afford to actually own their own place in Big Sky so travel from Bozeman, Gallatin Gateway, West Yellowstone etc. to work there as cooks or maids or dishwashers....

If you have unlimited funds, Big Sky is a great place.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Big Sky is a playground for the rich and shameless, kind of a Beverly Hills North with better air.

It is a beautiful place with outstanding game and fishing, heavy snows in the winter, roads can be very tricky traveling back and forth to Bozeman. Kind of Isolated as it is located in Gallatin Canyon so you have to drive out one end or the other before you can go anyplace else.

Very touristy, the ski run is ok I guess, ( I don't ski so no first hand knowledge), land is super expensive.

Most of the folks who live there do it part time as they will own a condo or time share in Big Sky, but live somewhere else. The few folks who work there in service jobs usually can't afford to actually own their own place in Big Sky so travel from Bozeman, Gallatin Gateway, West Yellowstone etc. to work there as cooks or maids or dishwashers....

If you have unlimited funds, Big Sky is a great place.
The skiing is about as good as it gets-coming from a life time skier with 30+ years of skiing-expensive but great/fantastic!!! Better than just about anywhere , especially for expert powderhounds.

There is a bus which runs from Bozeman to BS
Skyline Bus *|* Link to the Peak

Skyline Bus *|* Link to the Peak

Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,512 times
Big Sky is hell to commute to in the winter if you have a job in Bozeman. Lots of weather related car accidents. A friend of mine was killed on that Gallatin Canyon road to Big Sky. I don't drive it any more unless it is summer and daytime.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,719 times
A few things about Big Sky:

1) I second the drive from Big Sky being dangerous at night and with any inclement weather. The hundreds of little white crosses which are illuminated by headlights serve as a solemn reminder of the number of fatalities on that road. The road is a two-lane highway that winds around the Gallatin River, with drop-offs of up to 20 feet. Whatever side the road is not on, there is a mountain and rocks. There's a combination of semi-trucks, RVs, tourists, and locals driving on the road and high speeds and slippery conditions are likely the cause of most the fatalities. PLEASE be very careful when driving through this canyon.

2) Regarding price, rentals in Big Sky have always struck me as very inexpensive. Less expensive than Bozeman even in some cases. It's a resort-type area but it's no Aspen or Breckenridge. It hardly has a town feel to it at all. In the summers and off season (so, anytime but the winter) it always felt downright dead to me, especially compared to Bozeman.

3) Skiing and snowboarding are amazing - and you have Lone Peak and Moonlight Basin right there - two totally different types of terrain.

4) Groceries will for the most part have to be purchased in Bozeman. There are also a few affordable rentals in the canyon north of Big Sky so it wouldn't be as far of a drive to Bozeman, but you'd literally be living on the side of the road and would have to drive everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman