Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times

Advertisements

I would give my left arm to be 150 miles from a major city here in Bozeman

Closest is either Calgary or Salt Lake City, 500 odd miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 22,910 times
I use to live in bend from 1979 to 2004 and it use to be a nice little friendly town, but I left in 2004 because I didn't care how it is now. The people in montana are more friendly here. The price of living as far as building a home is less than bend, but the price of food is about the same. I live in marion just outside kalispell and have never been to bozeman,but from what I hear that would be a better choice. I have never met so many nice neighbors here and it really does make a difference in the quality of life.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

i am from ny as well, and believe me, that feeling wears off after a little while out here in montana.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

Spokane is some 400 miles away, and Billings IS a City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Me thinks that in Montana 150 miles is considered a drive around the block!
Hehehe. 150 miles is a casual stroll to grab the mail :P

I lived north of Seattle for 18 years (my youth). I have since moved out to Bozeman for school, originally with the intent to get my degree, go get a masters, and head back to Seattle.

I'm not sure I'll ever leave.

I'll give you some comparisons from Seattle (larger than bend, but similar weather, climate, etc) v. Bozeman, MT

We have:
Mountains. The Cascades, and Olympics in WA are just spell-binding. I cannot say enough about these mountains and walking out my door and looking at them. Phenomenal.

In Bozeman, I walk out my door and I cannot STOP from looking at mountains. We are at ~5000 feet in the valley, and are completely ringed by mountains. Absolutely incredible. My mom finally came and visited me in the fall, and then she understood. "We have mountains, but you are completely ringed by them. Its incredible"

Water.

The ocean is a marvelous place, great for children, etc... I'm a big fan of sandy beaches (which we have all too few of in the great NW), and is just an incredible awe-inspiring location. We also have the fair share of rivers, streams, etc.

No ocean in Bozeman, or for that fact, within 900 miles of it (driving). But, we have several great rivers which offer good swimming, floating (best summer activity ever), rafting, white-water and calm... and fishing, etc. I also enjoy the proximity of them. Within about 15 minutes, I can be clear up in the hills and enjoying a hike or a swim, or fishing or whatever.

In many ways the two are quite comparable. I do not know how Bend is faring on housing, but to buy out here is still a bit ludicrious, those Californians that found Bend, have also found Bozeman and our ski resorts.

Personal preference, Bozeman.

In regards to the questions about Sushi and natural foods, we have a co-op here, which is doing quite well and is prominent, as well as other grocery stores. We do however have a Wal-wart, which I as a college student shop at way too frequently.

We also have... Sushi! And some of the best sushi I've ever had. Dave's Sushi, off main is an incredible place. Looie's down under is a fine dining place and also has sushi. And then theres a 3rd japanese restaurant that has sushi offerings, but is mostly traditional japanese, and has a very small sushi selection.

And people here in Bozeman are so much friendlier and nicer than folks on the west coast. Theres a strong sense of community, and even though Bozeman's population fluctuates by 25% every summer and fall, its a college town without really being a college town. A lot of high-tech companies operate from Bozeman, including Right Now technologies, which is a large web developing/software firm.

Its Montana, so Horses are a given, occasionally I see one riding through campus, theres ranches and etc outside of town and I don't know the horse trainer market saturation, but I'm sure theres people wanting to learn.

All that being said about Bozeman, many others from Montana have chimed in, and really, just about any town you choose in Montana is like this. A bunch of down to earth people who are nice, kind and considerate. (Heres a shocker, people will ACTUALLY hold the door for you instead of letting it slam in your face). Or, say thank you after you do it for them. Its an infectious personality, and its a good one.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 PM

yea dave's sushi is pretty tasty, but i only ever go to louie's down under on tuesday nights for all you can eat king crab legs. if you want a deal on king crab legs, go to rossauer's and ask the lady for the king crab claws. they are not adverised and are $8/lb. they have more meat, and to me, are tastier, just tough to get into to. you need to steam them, and cut them with kitchen shears.

but my favorite restaurant would have to be zydeco's. man, i haven't had cajun like that outside of louisiana ever. so good on a cold, snowy, day. anyway, i am getting way off topic, but we have great food here. the tapas place is also delicious, but way too expensive.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Have not been to Zydeco's. Thats on this weekend's list.

And all you can eat king crab legs on tuesday nights? Screw heading back to campus. Thanks man.

God, this place is full of hidden gems.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,091 times
If you are trying to get away from the Californians that seem to be taking over every nice, small town in the west I'd stay away from BozAngeles (Bozeman) MT. Housing prices have almost tripled in the last 5 or 6 years here and the place has been "yuppified". Had a shooting murder connected with a cocaine ring last year and a lot of MSU athletes from California arrested on drug charges.

However if you are rich, there are plenty of wealthy older folks and trust funders that want to spend there time playing Cowboy's and Indian's if that's what you are into. Just remember it's these folks that drive up the housing prices and make it harder for working people to survive.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
If you are trying to get away from the Californians that seem to be taking over every nice, small town in the west I'd stay away from BozAngeles (Bozeman) MT. Housing prices have almost tripled in the last 5 or 6 years here and the place has been "yuppified". Had a shooting murder connected with a cocaine ring last year and a lot of MSU athletes from California arrested on drug charges.

However if you are rich, there are plenty of wealthy older folks and trust funders that want to spend there time playing Cowboy's and Indian's if that's what you are into. Just remember it's these folks that drive up the housing prices and make it harder for working people to survive.
Hey hey hey... Don't be calling Bozeman BozAngeles... thats just wrong.

In regards to the MSU information, let me clarify it.

2 years ago, in the spring, a cocaine drug ring was set up on campus. It was found, destroyed and lots of people are serving lots of time. This was a mostly campus issue due to poor leadership in the building that year. I work closely with many of the RAs and folks on campus, and the leadership is a lot stronger, and a lot more defined. Drugs still exist (duh) but the hard drugs have left. So, it wasn't a year ago.

And yes, MSU athletes have been arrested on drug, sexual assault, etc charges. But its not a large number of them, it is quite possibly a large number of out-of-staters, and not to justify their actions, but these kids are supposed to be the best on campus, they still have to do some studying and they're here on a full scholarship, which for a lot of them might mean that without the scholarship, they couldn't attend school. Thats a lot of stress, and it overwhelms a few of them. I don't think that those students doing those things is anything beyond normal college activity of a booming college town.

Our campus police creates a great density of police officers to area, and Bozeman police are also quite active, as are Gallatin County Sheriffs. All in all, I believe that Bozeman is a pretty safe place to live with no 'bad' areas. That being said, it is expensive, but the housing market is falling (especially over the winter months because, lets be honest, who the hell would want to move in the winter?

Sorry, I'm quite active on campus, and thus have a lot of that information floating in my head, particularly when it comes to the residence halls.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 PM

when bozeman is referred to as boze-angeles, i think that is hilarious. there is nothing similar between bozeman and los angeles. the californians here get put in their place rather quick i think. the only people who bother me are the RICH. californians who are poor or middle class just kind exist here, bring with them their hobbies, and just enjoy the outdoors. i always make a light hearted remark when i hear someone talking about "in california we have this..." but i don't mean anything by it. we need to learn to live together and this idea that people are different is played out. we all want what we are used to, just like people from out of state. it just takes them a few years of living here to realize that. rich people on the other hand never learn. i believe they should be taxed more so than regular citizens. that is a whole 'nother topic...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,091 times
I'll agree that we have a really good police force in Gallatin County, but lets not blame stress for crimes committed that should be met with the same action for everyone. Too me the cops are too lenient. I have no pity for the stress of someone given a full ride scholarship because they are not used to the environment. A scholarship is an opportunity, not a blank check. Maybe we should be like Switzerland, and make in MANDATORY that every male serves in the military.

I know many of our law enforcement, fire and medical professionals personally and a lot of them struggle the same way I do. As a combat veteran, full time worker and student I understand pressure, but haven't gotten to the point where I need to shoot a guy or sell dope to make a point, or play gangster to try to get some respect.

Unfortunately in my field of study, scholarships are extremely hard to come by, especially if not a member of a protected minority group or female. (I'm not saying this to offend, but I have applied and applied and applied to be met with the standard response of not meeting the required personal criteria... you make too much, you are the wrong color, we could help you with a scholarship if you were female or a minority etc...) So I work my butt off and pay as I can afford it. I suppose I could get some help if I gave up my job and played stupid, but if I did that what kind of father would I be?

The fact is I'm good at my job and make enough for a single person to get along in this valley, and to the powers that be it seems like I already have a good profession, so why does this guy need help for schooling? As nice as that sounds, for a family it's pretty tight, so I work, do classes at night and on weekends and try to spend as much time with my wife and 13 month old son as possible.

Also life is an education, the day we stop learning is the day we fall.

So yes, my frustration has a lot to do with the attitude that it should be made easier for a few who made a lot of mistakes, but let the ones who earn what they have pay the way for the lazy. (There is a story behind that also, but I'll spare you the details as you probably don't want to hear it any more than I want to type it.)

Anywho... off of my rant, yes I used the term Bozangeles... because that's exactly what's happening. If we don't watch it, we will lose it, especially after a good old fashioned recession, when Belgrade and the "affordable" housing areas of Bozeman go to Bel ghetto and Little Baghdad.. (ok maybe not that bad, but you get the point..) because we forced the hard-working honest folk out of town in search of a better living, we will be left with the ones that may not appreciate things as much as those that seek a better life for themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman