Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 AM

14 posts, read 51,184 times

Advertisements

Hello, May I ask a few more questions here?
Considering a move from extreme NE Washington to area in and around Bozeman.
Originally from back east and left there to avoid the humidity and crowds and find snow again.
Snow: Found it here. Lots of it. from Oct-April sometimes. And I love it. If the winters in Bozeman are primarily snow on the ground all late fall/winder/early spring that is for me. That alone makes the 'dark' of winter more shiny and sparkly. I know that grey skies for the storm but clear afterwards to see the mountains (for me all the way up in Canada) and the hoarfrost (frozen fog) is magical, too. IS that similar to Bozeman? I got the short days of winter down. and so my question is more on exact particulars. Does it get snow that stays all winter long?
Roads: Here we find that life exists in the large spreading valleys, so there's little driving up a mountain side or around dangerous curves on most roads unless you personally choose to put your home there (i.e., up on a mountain). So driving is mostly on a flat and it does get plowed and cleared for travel quite quickly in winter, even when it snows 3 feet. IS Bozeman area similar?
Wind: I just want to be sure about this wind thing. Once looked at a property in Plains, MT and couldn't hear a conversation right in front of me in the pastures as the wind was blowing so incessantly. I HATE WIND. Will I love Bozeman? What about surrounding towns like Belgrade or Ennis? My own home exists within what I call a giant arse (between 2 ridges) and that not only stops the wind but also traps the snowfalls (in).
Temps--and let's do both summer and winter: Here I know I've had stretches of 100 degrees in July or August and I don't bat an eye at them because they are a dry heat (as they say when you've come from back east where 80 degrees and 80% humidity only moves into 70 degrees and 70% humidity overnight). Is there more than just week-long stretches typically of the 90-100's? And do the nights, like here, nevertheless still fall into 48 degrees or close to it overnight in summer? Winter does it get those dress to survive the cold temps very often at all? (Things like don't be outside for more than a few minutes with exposed flesh sorta things). Have never experienced that (so cold you could die) for more than a day or two here all winter. So what is Bozeman and surrounding--odds of that kind of cold and how often for how long? 'Cause, again, I can handle the cold as long as there is SNOW, because then I can wear my snowpants and snowboots and not look like an idiot.
Thanks much. I'll be jumping into other Q's about schools and neighborhoods and social life soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman