Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM

58 posts, read 131,665 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are moving to Bozeman from Australia and one of the very first things we need to do when we get there is get new cell phones as our Aussie ones won't work there. I want to get as much research done as possible before we arrive to save time. We won't need a land line or internet at home for at least the first 7 months as the place we are renting already has it.

I would appreciate any information from locals about the best providers in the area for plans, price, data speed and coverage. We use our phones for work so would be looking at something like iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S4 or similar.

I would also like any information about how the Montana cell phone payment system works.

In Australia we have the choice of prepaid plans on contract that usually have the option of including the phone for an additional fee. The other option is to buy the phone at retail price then just pay for the account which can be prepaid or postpaid without a contract. That way you can change providers as often as you like by changing sim cards. Is it similar or different than that there.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in anticipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Our cell phones are on the Verizon network. It doesn't matter which provider you get, there will be large areas of the state where there is no coverage.
Our plan is a monthly pay plan, about $92 per month for two lines/700 minutes. Only one line has texting included (I don't want it, my wife has it.)
There are so many plans available that your best bet is to go to the Verizon store as soon as you get to Bozeman, and get signed up for your phone(s).
I have no experience with sim cards, so I can't say anything abut that issue.
the only phones I have experience with are Tracfone and Verizon. tracfone is a prepaid plan, no contract, buy the minutes as needed. I don't know what phones they have available now, haven't used them for several years. I doubt if they have the sophisticated style of phones you would need.
Good luck.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
We travel the state and find Verizon has the best coverage. If you chose Verizon, it is way better deal to buy smart phones (droids) through the Verizon kiosk at Costco (there is one in Bozeman). The savings more than makes up for the Costco membership fee.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM

58 posts, read 131,665 times
Thanks for all that info. As we need our phones for work we need to hit the ground running. The order of priority for day 1 is 'hire car, unpack bags, get phone'. From your answers and other posts here it looks like Verizon is the carrier to go with. I think I'll be able to do some more research from here. I can check out Costco online and give Verizon a call by Skype.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: