Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,196,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I used to dread visits to Costco. The city "planners" at the time decided not to widen north 19th for several years even though that area exploded. At least when you went the streets were wider to accommodate the traffic.
Bah, when I lived out off Baxter Lane (on what now is called Thomas Drive, or something like that) 19th north of Durston was a goat track, impassable except in good weather.

Quote:
Headwaters State Park is a neat place.
It was a lot more of a neat place before it was a park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,998,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Bah, when I lived out off Baxter Lane (on what now is called Thomas Drive, or something like that) 19th north of Durston was a goat track, impassable except in good weather.

It was a lot more of a neat place before it was a park.
I remember very vividly when there was nothing at all on North 19th. I don't remember when Headwaters wasn't a park though. When did it become a state park?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I remember very vividly when there was nothing at all on North 19th. I don't remember when Headwaters wasn't a park though. When did it become a state park?
They had a big grand opening type ceremony for the Bicentennial, so presumably that came about in 1976.

There used to be a beautiful big classic barn up there. It was moved in 1975 or '76 -- at the time I lived on Nelson Road and it came right by my place. I took pictures! The guy paid $25 for the barn and $8000 to move it.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:05 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,998,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
They had a big grand opening type ceremony for the Bicentennial, so presumably that came about in 1976.

There used to be a beautiful big classic barn up there. It was moved in 1975 or '76 -- at the time I lived on Nelson Road and it came right by my place. I took pictures! The guy paid $25 for the barn and $8000 to move it.
Sounds like a nice place. I remember when the park got an upgrade for the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial. If I remember correctly they closed off vehicle access to a pretty big chunk of it.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,748 times
I appreciate your comments as my husband and I have been planning to move to Bozeman for the last two years. It looks like the spring of 2015 we will make the move. My concerns are the high cost of living compared to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We have been living in a remote area of the Hiawatha Nat'l forest for over 15 years and actually would appreciate more conveniences. However, we are not used to busy at all!! Jobs appear to be plentiful but as I have been trying it's very hard to find a position without actually living out there. Property management is my skill set and my husband is semi- retired but after looking at rental rates we will both have to have full time jobs.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 AM

If you're a ways out of Bozeman you can get a decent enough rental for $900/mo. Food and gas are cheaper than SoCal, which I can compare directly.

I think all cities with any size are "busy" now, there's been a general shift and unless it's a town that's actually dying, everywhere with any significant population (enough to have amenities) that I've been in the past few years has been like that. A lot of it is that kids didn't used to have cars, but now everyone over 16 has a car, and they run hither and thither with the inefficiency of youth... and give an impression of busy that might not exist otherwise. Plus everywhere people seem to have more things to do, rather than just going home after work. And nowadays we've got a whole crowd of retired folks who are in good shape and need something to do... it's a general change, it's not just Bozeman.

The residential neighborhoods are still real quiet, tho.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:57 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,223,751 times
I will add that Rezac's quote of $900/mo is far out, like Three Forks, which is 30 miles away. Closer in you could be looking at 1,200 to 1,500/mo depending on what you want. My brother is looking for a larger house (in a 2 bd/2bth condo now) and "a tar paper shack in Manhattan is going for 250k" these days. They have owned in Belgrade since '06 but have little equity as they bought the condo on a 30 year note. They can at least get their equity out now but they won't make much profit to get something larger in town.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Not necessarily. My neighbor looked at $900/mo. places around Belgrade. In Bozeman, yeah, rents are high, but I've seen some on CL in the $800 range.

The 400sq' tarpaper shack in Manhattan recently sold for $70k (which is still too much, but anyway...) There are some nice $180k houses in Bozeman, tho they don't stay on the market long. Not long ago there was a forest service cabin for $128k about 4 miles up Bear Canyon (I knew the people who lived there 35 years ago, it's a nice cabin. It sold inside of a week.) So not everything is sky-high.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 AM

9 posts, read 16,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Don't feel bad Sheldon Cooper didn't like it either lol
When did Dr. Cooper go to Bozeman? Train trip?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:47 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,493,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganista4Life View Post
When did Dr. Cooper go to Bozeman? Train trip?
Season 3, Episode 13 of Big Bang Theory. After he and Dr. Hofstadter had their apartment burglarized, he reacted by attempting to find the safest city in the U.S. by some complicated algorithm, and came up with Bozeman. When he got there, someone at the airport whom he thought was helping him with his bags actually stole them......the irony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman