Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

We are looking at property in Wilsall but need an opinion on the wind conditions and access to Bozeman.
Is Wilsall less windy than Livingston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
By average wind speed (or sustained wind?) Wilsall is windier than Livingston according to this site Montana Average Wind Speed City Rank (Wilsall near 100th, Livingston surprisingly near 200th place). By another study of cities Livingston was 2nd in country. There are lots of different ways to look at wind (average for day, month, year, max sustained for 15 minutes or more, max gust, etc.)

To me the frequency and duration of 50 plus mph winds is the main issue. I have seen data on extreme winds but I have to try to remember where. I think I saw Livingston had gusts over 50 mph on about 50 days per year. That isn't "always bad" but it is a consideration.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-20-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,195 times
Default Thanks for the link

Thanks, that information is helpful, have just now used the link to check the areas we are interested in for purchase. Although the wind is not the only factor, it is of concern to us. After looking back at previous posts to this forum we have been able to get a good idea of where to avoid, as we need somewhat frequent access to Bozeman.

It appears the area between Big Sky and Bozeman, along the Gallatin River, around Hwy 191 would be nice.
We will be making several more trips to check properties and talk to residents about the weather conditions before making a final decision.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:24 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Property along 191 is probably generally pricey (on buy and sell) but there should be some variety. Spanish Creek Road seems like a good balance of town access / separation. Hwy 84 and 287 could be "cheaper" but good luck getting what you want.

The first and sixth links here http://www.google.com/search?q=wind+...HfYSAOwQvwUICg
may help but I didn't have ability on phone / time to check out.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-20-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 AM

387 posts, read 554,975 times
It's a beautiful area - we hunt up around there and enjoy driving through to get to other areas, but it is a hike from Bozeman. I definitely wouldn't want to live in Wilsall and work in Bozeman. If I was retired and only wanted to go into Bozeman once a week (during good weather, a little less so in the winter), then it is doable.

You would probably end up going into Livingston for groceries etc. mostly. The back road through Sedan is quite small, and pretty slow in the winter, though you can get to skiing at Bridger Bowl most of the time. You definitely want recovery gear if you are taking that road via Sedan in the winter.

It is pretty windy in Wilsall, but that is how you get the amazing views.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 PM

186 posts, read 345,972 times
There are pockets of Wilsall land which are no windier than Bozeman. Livingston now... Let's put it this way. I rented a VRBO for $300/night up in Wineglass during last New Year's. Well built log home, with pre-manufactured roof. All week long the winds were about 70 mph. We had to sleep in the basement, since we really thought the roof might just rip off at any given moment.

Those winds are something else. If you're up on a bench in Wilsall, the wind will be rippin', but a little closer to Battle Ridge, in one of the many gullies, you should be fine.

I am a licensed realtor in Montana, who does very thorough due diligence for my customers. I will provide you with a soil report, an aerial video of the land and surrounding area, survey analysis, and research whatever records may exist in Livingston, and whatever I can find out "through the grapevine" about your parcel. Let me know if I may be of assistance.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM

186 posts, read 345,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senah View Post
The back road through Sedan is quite small, and pretty slow in the winter, though you can get to skiing at Bridger Bowl most of the time. You definitely want recovery gear if you are taking that road via Sedan in the winter.
That road is perfectly fine! If you're out driving in a blizzard I would agree with you, but that is county maintained highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman