Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 11:27 AM

91 posts, read 141,269 times

Advertisements

Hello! For anyone who has lived in Bozeman for a good amount of time, how do winters compare to other towns you may have lived in? I have lived in Ontario Canada, towns in Colorado and elsewhere, and I am wondering why I keep finding comments on Bozeman that it's BRUTAL in the winter. Is that true? I am ok with winters, but if it's really that bad, why are so many people moving there? Are winters REALLY that bad in comparison to Denver, or places like that? I am used to cold winters living in Canada, but I'm wondering if Bozeman is a pocket of extreme that I'm really not ready for. What are your experiences?
I'd prefer a "normal" winter without massive extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:39 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Bozeman gets cold during winter but isn't the absolute worst. Be advised Livingston MT does get gusty during storms, to where the Interstate will post warnings about wind speed.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:08 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
It depends on what you are used to and year.

Typically about 20 mornings below zero. Some might say "not too bad", some will freak out, out of state. Wind can make it much worse. -20 to -40 happens ocassionally thru the decades anytime from November to March (that's real, plus whatever wind chill effect). This winter it appears to have gotten below zero in town only once and just -1.

About a 100 inches of snow reported this past 2 winters. 140 in 2017-18. Go 5-20 miles from the mountain crest it could be less than half that. Go into / up the mountains, it might be 50 - 100% more.

Climate data on main page and lots of supplemental pages crom left menu https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt1044

Missoula is a tiny bit warmer on average but might occasionally be notably warmer depending on how the storms are tracking. Much less snow in town but plenty in surrounding mountains.

A five degree difference and / or sunshine will decide whether the snow generally stays or goes fast.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-22-2020 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 03:48 PM

91 posts, read 141,269 times
When you say below zero, you're talking Fahrenheit, correct? LOL. In Colorado, if it's 17 degrees F, that's a cold snap and it's FREEZING. That's technically below zero, but not in Fahrenheit, so I assume it you're talking F, that means super insane cold. However, if it's drier in Bozeman, that minus whatever doesn't feel as cold as it would in the NE US in the winter....

Old 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Yes I am talking Fahrenheit.

Bozeman will get below 32F at night for fully half the year. Usually warms up some on winter days but about 50 days per year it never gets above 32F.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:14 AM

101 posts, read 159,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdboulder View Post
Hello! For anyone who has lived in Bozeman for a good amount of time, how do winters compare to other towns you may have lived in? I have lived in Ontario Canada, towns in Colorado and elsewhere, and I am wondering why I keep finding comments on Bozeman that it's BRUTAL in the winter. Is that true? I am ok with winters, but if it's really that bad, why are so many people moving there? Are winters REALLY that bad in comparison to Denver, or places like that? I am used to cold winters living in Canada, but I'm wondering if Bozeman is a pocket of extreme that I'm really not ready for. What are your experiences?

Bozeman compared to Denver? Yes. Much more extreme. More gray and cloudy. Definitely colder. I've lived in both MT and CO. CO has WAAAAY better winters even though it can still get cold there and dump snow.

Bozeman compared to Ontario? Can't say firsthand. Educated guess is that Bozeman would be way easier of a winter.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:22 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Bozeman winters have plenty of snow but are usually not terribly windy with below zero weather. There are also lots of "bluebird" days with no clouds and blue skies in the winter. The real concern in Bozeman is cost of living.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:11 AM

153 posts, read 200,626 times
Compared to Denver, Bozeman is much colder and somewhat snowier. Bozeman typically maintains a snowpack throughout winter, unlike Denver.

Compared to Ontario, Bozeman has slightly colder winters than Toronto, with about twice as much snow. Compared to Ottawa on the other hand, it's somewhat warmer with about an equal amount of snow. I guess the elevation and drier air help alleviate the cold feel, at least.

Having spent plenty of winters in Montana, the winters are typically quite harsh. You do adapt, however. I think you need to enjoy winter sports to appreciate living in a place like Bozeman -- just my opinion.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
To add to the confusion, Bozeman has numerous microclimates that can be quite different. Snow can be completely gone in the northwest corner, while the east side still has snowbanks piled along every street. Belgrade can easily be 20 degrees colder than Bozeman, but with a fraction as much snow (if any). There's a stretch south of Gallatin Gateway where it's nearly always overcast, no matter how sunny it is half a mile north. And so on.

We've had a few decades of relatively mild winters... what y'all really need is a return to the long hard winters of the 1960s and '70s. (And it's coming. We've had a few hints these past few years.)

Old 09-13-2020, 09:46 PM

186 posts, read 345,324 times
Quote:
I keep finding comments on Bozeman that it's BRUTAL in the winter. Is that true?
Yes they are brutal. I've lived here for almost 20 years, and in 2018 it was below 0 degrees for 4-6 weeks. Many roofs collapsed, including MSU's north and south gyms. I spent a lot of time and money clearing snow. The winters here are rough. People are moving here because they just don't know any better. Many are moving here to escape the liberal politics of the coasts, not knowing we have as many liberals as conservatives here. The rich folk tend to just stay inside all winter, occasionally venturing out the to go skiing or snow mobiling. People are also moving out pretty fast too. They usually last 1-2 winters before calling it quits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman