Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 08:12 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times

Advertisements

Average home price is now $800k in BozeAngeles.

" ... median sales price of a single-family home is fast approaching $1 million. Fine, program manager for six of Bozeman’s urban renewal districts, said the median cost of a single family residence is $812,000, or $112,000 more than it was in October of 2021, and police officers, firefighters, construction workers and nurses can no longer afford to live in the city.

He also said businesses cannot attract and retain talent. Six years ago, a family of four earning $80,000, or 117 percent of the area median income, could afford a single family home in Bozeman, he said; in 2021, the same family would need to earn $162,000, or 219 percent of area median income, the equivalent of three salaries of $55,000 each."

Meanwhile in the Flathead, " ... a significant employer could hire 200 workers tomorrow at salaries of $60,000 to $130,000, but there are no homes for them to move into."

Holding out hope for a major market correction/recession to shake things out, but perhaps this is the new normal. It's maddening.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2022/03/2...th-in-montana/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 04:08 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Been there, done that. I feel for you guys.

Ever read The Cowboys by William Dale Jennings? The Bozeman of today is light years away from the Bozeman in his book.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:35 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Been there, done that. I feel for you guys.

Ever read The Cowboys by William Dale Jennings? The Bozeman of today is light years away from the Bozeman in his book.

"Spent the night in Bozeman! Town's as empty as a bone orchard." Don't know if that's just from the movie, or whether it is also in the book. Love them both. I went to Bozeman the first time back in the 70s just because of that book. And I had a beer at the Rocking R Cafe, watched The Outlaw Josey Wales in the main street movie theater, and stayed at the Range Hotel, long gone now. Those were the days...

Old 03-26-2022, 12:28 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
That's from the book. Jennings has a whole list of colorful phrases he explains in the book.

Interesting fact. When Jennings wrote the book, he put the cattle drive in summer, but what he said was that he found out later the boys actually went to school in the summer, but by then the book was already written and he couldn't change it.

If anybody gets a chance, read the book. You can hear John Wayne all through it.

I drove through Bozeman back in 2012 on my way from Minnesota to Washington state. I just had to see the town after reading The Cowboys.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:14 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Average home price is now $800k in BozeAngeles.

" ... median sales price of a single-family home is fast approaching $1 million. Fine, program manager for six of Bozeman’s urban renewal districts, said the median cost of a single family residence is $812,000, or $112,000 more than it was in October of 2021, and police officers, firefighters, construction workers and nurses can no longer afford to live in the city.

He also said businesses cannot attract and retain talent. Six years ago, a family of four earning $80,000, or 117 percent of the area median income, could afford a single family home in Bozeman, he said; in 2021, the same family would need to earn $162,000, or 219 percent of area median income, the equivalent of three salaries of $55,000 each."

Meanwhile in the Flathead, " ... a significant employer could hire 200 workers tomorrow at salaries of $60,000 to $130,000, but there are no homes for them to move into."

Holding out hope for a major market correction/recession to shake things out, but perhaps this is the new normal. It's maddening.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2022/03/2...th-in-montana/
It's obscene what it costs to live in those parts of the state. I'm curious how many Montanans even go to MSU anymore. It costs over $20k a year for residents. Where do you even live? I was a student there many moons ago and it was horrifically expensive then. You also wonder how many people will still fall in love with it who are in those aforementioned career areas and find out what a costly mistake it was.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:51 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

Hell it was that way in 2000

Old 03-26-2022, 11:53 PM

165 posts, read 145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's obscene what it costs to live in those parts of the state. I'm curious how many Montanans even go to MSU anymore. It costs over $20k a year for residents. Where do you even live? I was a student there many moons ago and it was horrifically expensive then. You also wonder how many people will still fall in love with it who are in those aforementioned career areas and find out what a costly mistake it was.
Realistically, these days, 20k is not unusually expensive for one of the major state universities in many state. I looked at the MSU website, and they estimate the annual cost at 24k (excluding any aid) for in state. But cost of housing must be getting crazy if not on campus. I also saw an estimate of 22k for UM. Here in South Dakota, SDSU estimates the annual cost at 18k. But over the years, inflation on a college education has been pretty bad. At my small state U in KS 40 years ago, I pd about $300 a semester tuition and could make ends meet with a $165 a month scholarship and working 10 hrs a week at $4 an hr in the Chemistry dept.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:54 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
The flip side, is that the currency is devaluing so fast, that retail prices for "real stuff" are skyrocketing.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:01 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
That's from the book. Jennings has a whole list of colorful phrases he explains in the book.

Interesting fact. When Jennings wrote the book, he put the cattle drive in summer, but what he said was that he found out later the boys actually went to school in the summer, but by then the book was already written and he couldn't change it.

If anybody gets a chance, read the book. You can hear John Wayne all through it.

I drove through Bozeman back in 2012 on my way from Minnesota to Washington state. I just had to see the town after reading The Cowboys.

It's a great book--I haven't read it in many years, so I guess it's time to dust it off and get reacquainted.
Bozeman in the 1970s was amazing. My room at the Range Hotel cost $6, and I gave the manager a $10 bill. He handed me four silver dollars! Sometimes I wonder if I was actually in a time warp.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:33 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Relevant to skyrocketing house prices is the other side of the coin ... property taxes. Great article.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2022/04/0...omes%EF%BF%BC/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: