Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:26 AM

152 posts, read 331,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well Nature's Cathedral,
I can see you are a quantitative person. I have had one too many Negro Modelos to rank all my preferences tonight, but here are some initial thoughts:
1. I like college towns, because I hope to teach at a college. They tend to be liberal, but not always over the top.
2. I like a mix of clouds and sun, not too wet or dry. I'd rather have snow in winter than roasting summers (Vegas is out!). Most importantly, I like seasons. I don't like the always the same coastal places.
3. I love to be outdoors hiking and camping,etc.
4. Beach is nice to visit, but does not need to be next door.
5. Love mountains. And prairies. And big, trout-filled rivers.
6. Love aspen trees and thunderstorms (oh, already said that..).
7. Like affordable housing and a short commute.
8. Like solid, safe public schools.
9. Like a nice place to graze my unicorn, cause I am in fantasy land to want all this.....

Thanks again!
Your Welcome!

What about your wife? How did you like your time in Corvallis? Also, how cold? The cold gambit runs from Minnesota, Michigan to Colorado to Wyoming to Montana to Idaho and eastern Oregon and Washington.

Check out this temperature page:
United States Weather Extremes - Current Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I think that you are on to something... hmmm
Thanks, but don't tell anyone

Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Yes, great post. I understand wages are higher in Wyoming.
Thanks 7!

Yes their wages are higher because no other state is selling its natural resources at the same level as Wyoming per population. They have a fairly hefty severance tax from what I hear allowing them to reduce all there other taxes, which is the way I think it should be. In other words, they are the antithesis of Oregon.

A proper use of a severance tax would be to create endowments which can fund many of the necessary functions of a state in perpetuity. Eventually the resources run out, but if planned properly then you can keep taxes low. I don't think Wyoming is that forward thinking, but they do spend a lot on their state functions per person. Then again there isn't much person to be used in those ratios. As my brother said when I was giving him the stats on Wyoming: "What per capita?"

Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,691,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post
Thanks 7!

Yes their wages are higher because no other state is selling its natural resources at the same level as Wyoming per population. They have a fairly hefty severance tax from what I hear allowing them to reduce all there other taxes, which is the way I think it should be. In other words, they are the antithesis of Oregon.

A proper use of a severance tax would be to create endowments which can fund many of the necessary functions of a state in perpetuity. Eventually the resources run out, but if planned properly then you can keep taxes low. I don't think Wyoming is that forward thinking, but they do spend a lot on their state functions per person. Then again there isn't much person to be used in those ratios. As my brother said when I was giving him the stats on Wyoming: "What per capita?"
Please, this is a Montana forum so I can not go into Oregon politics and their money wasters.
I just know I am not contributing other than the one kid in college and that one is on a single digit day countdown!
See, I think Montana need folks like us who have lived in wastefull states. We are good at saying NO!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,807,112 times
Default Flash

Quote:
Well Nature's Cathedral,
I can see you are a quantitative person. I have had one too many Negro Modelos to rank all my preferences tonight, but here are some initial thoughts:
1. I like college towns, because I hope to teach at a college. They tend to be liberal, but not always over the top.
2. I like a mix of clouds and sun, not too wet or dry. I'd rather have snow in winter than roasting summers (Vegas is out!). Most importantly, I like seasons. I don't like the always the same coastal places.
3. I love to be outdoors hiking and camping,etc.
4. Beach is nice to visit, but does not need to be next door.
5. Love mountains. And prairies. And big, trout-filled rivers.
6. Love aspen trees and thunderstorms (oh, already said that..).
7. Like affordable housing and a short commute.
8. Like solid, safe public schools.
9. Like a nice place to graze my unicorn, cause I am in fantasy land to want all this.....

Thanks again!
Hmmmmm, you need to be living in the most beautiful place in the USA,perhaps the world, The Adirondack Mts. of New York and teaching at Paul Smith's College, or SUNY at Plattsburg or Potsdam.
True Wilderness but close to world-class Montreal !

Upstate NY in general is the most underated,overlooked place in the country and I've lived from coast to coast, north and south .

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Hmmmmm, you need to be living in the most beautiful place in the USA,perhaps the world, The Adirondack Mts. of New York and teaching at Paul Smith's College, or SUNY at Plattsburg or Potsdam.
Tho per a friend who is a professor and has taught at several universities in NY state, the internal politics there make Wash.D.C. look like amateur hour. And half the time he doesn't know if he'll have a job come next semester.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Talking Not news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Tho per a friend who is a professor and has taught at several universities in NY state, the internal politics there make Wash.D.C. look like amateur hour. And half the time he doesn't know if he'll have a job come next semester.
Internal politics at ANY university are off the charts, most Profs. have bigger egos than movie stars and fight over smaller pies.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:58 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,778,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

Upstate NY in general is the most underated,overlooked place in the country and I've lived from coast to coast, north and south .
Wow! Good tip. I have heard of Paul Smith, and I know of the Adirondacks, but have never been. Other than blackflies , the place sounds just about perfect!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Please, this is a Montana forum so I can not go into Oregon politics and their money wasters.
I just know I am not contributing other than the one kid in college and that one is on a single digit day countdown!
See, I think Montana need folks like us who have lived in wastefull states. We are good at saying NO!
Sometime you have to see hell to understand it. Where is your kid going to school, and what is he or she studying?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Wow! Good tip. I have heard of Paul Smith, and I know of the Adirondacks, but have never been. Other than blackflies , the place sounds just about perfect!
Blackflies are only around for about a month, there are now effective natural repellants as well as the old standby, headnets.
Plus they only work in daylight, leaving the night-shift to the skeeters.

Parks Canada plants millions(lreally) of tulips which bloom all over Ottawa
in 2nd week of May,height of blackfly season, so the noble prospect the Canadian Parliment sits on over the mighty Ottawa River rapids is the place to
be then,watching the Mounties do their riding show . Montreal is 70 miles from
northernmost "Dacks -Ottawa not much farther.
Both are WAY cool ANYTIME of the year,they really embrace winter,not fight it and it zens them right back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman