Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 25,157 times

Advertisements

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful replies. I think I'll head out there w/ my current vehicle (upgrading the tires) and see how I do while keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Forester.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

369 posts, read 1,455,384 times
sallyv6767 says:

Quote:
I think I'll head out there w/ my current vehicle (upgrading the tires) and see how I do while keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Forester.
That's probably a reasonable compromise (unless you hit a blizzard through Iowa, and South Dakota! )

Bozeman has an excellent Subaru dealer and Subarus are one of the most popular cars in all of Montana for a reason. Good deals are the norm because of the availability of them. Checkout the later model Foresters because they have been completely redesigned and are a bunch more roomy than some of the older ones. Good Luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM

475 posts, read 1,499,405 times
I just bought a Forester in Bozeman, I did a lot of research on a lot of similiar vehicles, CRV, RAV-4, but it seemed that everyone who lives in snowy climates like MT recommeneded over and over the Suburu.

The dealership could not have been any more helpful, ordered it over the phone, flew in to Bozeman on Wed. afternoon and picked it up on Thurs. - they even put snow tires on it for me. I have the original all weather tires for it to put on in May.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,561,135 times
I bought my used car at the Bozeman Subaru dealership and yes that dealership is quite good. They even sent me a Thank You card a week or so after I bought it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,728 times
Oh this old thread=for the winter I run my Outback with snows all the way around with STUDs
Live in CO at 9k feet-but lived in MT too-ok maybe an overkill, but last night driving home through a blizzard on steep unplowed road I was very pleased

MT isn't too much different-get AWD/4WD and real snow tires = bomber winter trans

Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
You are very wise to go with AWD.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 AM

16 posts, read 35,561 times
Living in E. WA I find the climate isn't much different than W. MT. We're at around 2700 elevation and I hit 3100 any time I commute to town. I've owned a '05 FWD Passat for the past 12 years or so and I continue to drive it, and change out my own tires (have the shop torque them afterward) every autumn and spring. I've found, living in widely varied terrain, that even with Finland-made super studded ultimate expensive amazing winter tires, the car is still not useful two to four months of the year depending upon the winter. This year, I predict it's already going to be not very useful soon. When the time comes, the wife's '91 Toyota pickup gets put into service. It's far more dangerous and unstable when it comes to sticking to the road and braking with its much higher center of gravity, but with the 4WD (one traction wheel per axle) and much higher clearance, it usually has little trouble working through deep snow. On the down side, mud and slush usually either follow snow or proceed it and the studded tires are useless in that crap.
Given a much larger income, I'd certainly buy a VW SUV with diesel, the Audi Q7 with diesel, or a '06 (I think) VW Passat wagon 3.6 4motion. I own an Arctic Cat diesel and have enjoyed using it to plow the driveway since I bought it in '08. It has never had any trouble starting and running in any temperature (has a block heater), so a modern German diesel automobile would be just fine in this climate too I'm sure.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,934 times
I still drive my old pickup also... As for the Subaru's around, there must be something to them, as about every third car in Bozeman is a Subaru... and I can't see the "trend" being something as ugly as those things unless they actually worked well.

As for me, my old pickup and (sniff, sniff) My old Jeep (RIP) have always done me well.

Time to build a new Jeep me thinks.. 1970-1980 CJ's are my favorite. Not much for speed, but they do great off road and they are easy to work on.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I still drive my old pickup also... As for the Subaru's around, there must be something to them, as about every third car in Bozeman is a Subaru... and I can't see the "trend" being something as ugly as those things unless they actually worked well.
Friend in Idaho has a middle-aged Subaru AWD wagon that she picked up used for not much money... cheaper to run for everyday than her big truck, has been pretty much trouble-free despite a lot of miles on it (she used to live over an hour from her work), has decent cargo capacity for a car-sized thing, and is good on slick roads. No one ever talks about its looks, because it hasn't any.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,838 times
Have a good move and I hope you enjoy it here! Their may be a few times a year that you wish you had an AWD, however FWD will be just fine, especially if you're use to driving in inclimate weather with FWD. I choose the FWD option of a car that also comes in AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman