Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 02:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

Somebody said that nature is resolving the damage humans have done to the ecology by killing us off. Isn't that a weird idea ? But maybe it has merit.

Isn't there something in Buddhism about, however odd it may seem, everything is exactly as it should be?

I don't know if that is comforting or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 06:09 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Somebody said that nature is resolving the damage humans have done to the ecology by killing us off. Isn't that a weird idea ? But maybe it has merit.

Isn't there something in Buddhism about, however odd it may seem, everything is exactly as it should be?

I don't know if that is comforting or not.
I've never heard that, but then again it may be out there, or it may be in another variety of Buddhism.

However, the way you phrased it, you make it sound as if nature thinks.

BTW...welcome back!

Old 08-22-2021, 06:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've never heard that, but then again it may be out there, or it may be in another variety of Buddhism.

However, the way you phrased it, you make it sound as if nature thinks.

BTW...welcome back!
Hi phet! It's not my remark, only something I heard in passing, don't even remember where.

To think that the universe and everything in it is exactly as it should be is a very common idea in Buddhism, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Hi phet! It's not my remark, only something I heard in passing, don't even remember where.

To think that the universe and everything in it is exactly as it should be is a very common idea in Buddhism, if I'm not mistaken.
I'll have to think on the concept. It sort of points to the (in my view incorrect) interpretation of Buddhism as being passive.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:30 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Everything ALWAYS is as it should be or, there will be no “is”. Will be only chaos.
We make one mistake and have one limitations.
Mistake being - we judge what is.
Limitation being - we judge from not even a spec of time, called human life. Without being able to see entire span of events through eternity.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Everything ALWAYS is as it should be or, there will be no “is”. Will be only chaos.
Limitation being - we judge from not even a spec of time, called human life. Without being able to see entire span of events through eternity.
Except that there is chaos.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except that there is chaos.
There is chaos but is there only chaos?

Old 08-25-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There is chaos but is there only chaos?
Depends on the society, depends on the individual.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:27 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
a chaotic individual sees chaos

a peaceful balanced individual recognizes peace balance and harmony

what a person "sees" is a reflection of their own inner state

Old 08-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a chaotic individual sees chaos

a peaceful balanced individual recognizes peace balance and harmony

what a person "sees" is a reflection of their own inner state
To be honest, I think the way in which you've stated it makes it sort of cliche.

Would you say that the past week or so in Afghanistan has been chaos or peace, balance, and harmony?
Would you say that World War I or II was chaos or peace, balance, and harmony?

I know some people who are always playing the role of Chicken Little. To them, the sky is always falling. It's always chaos.

Then there are people 180 degrees from there. Everything is always just fine. And I'll tell you a place that I see that -- and it happens to be a Buddhist nation -- and it can be both good bad. In Thailand there's a phrase -- "Mai pben rai". It loosely translates to "no problem" or "don't worry"...something like that. The only problem is that used inappropriately, "mai pben rai" can mean that progress is never made. For example, without going into a lot of detail, in 1992 there was a great upheaval in Thai politics, often called Black or Bloody May. Hundreds -- mostly college students who protested -- disappeared forever, and rumor has always been that they were hauled away in tractor trailer trucks that were shipped out into the middle of the Gulf Of Thailand and submerged. Seven weeks after the turmoil I was in Thailand for a long summer. One day I was walking in the old royal quarter, and there was a table set up outside the Royal Hotel (just a regular hotel, despite the name, but one that had been temporarily used as a field hospital during the violent demonstrations). College students had a television set up and were showing videos of the recent riots. I watched for a while, and one of them asked me if I knew what it was, and I explained that yes, I did, because much of it had been streamed by CNN (in fact the tapes they were showing was CNN coverage). I asked them what they thought about the fact that the ex Prime Minister (Suchinda) (whose coup d'etat had caused all the problems) had been simply excused of any responsibility by the powers that be, and was living in his mansion -- a millionaire -- somewhere north of Bangkok. "Oh, mai pben rai. It's over now". I was stunned. No one was being held responsible for the death and forever-disappearance of hundreds of college students and others. And the answer was "mai pben rai"? No problem?

As a principal I worried most about the occasional faculty member who saw every problem as a crisis, rather than simply a problem to be solved. That's not to say there were never crises in the school where I had worked, but in reality, rarely were problems crises. They were simply problems to be solved.

So I would say that a "balanced...individual" is one who correctly identifies reality. If it is chaos -- and sometimes it is -- he or she sees it as such. If it is just a blip, he or she sees that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism