Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times

Advertisements

I helped a nice couple from TX move to VT recently, and we became friends.
The New England Culinary Institute drew them here initially, so after they got settled, I suggested we go to Breakfast at Shelburne Farms. I'd been telling them about The Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farms for a year or so...
We ended up making half a day of it, just wandering the shoreline, visiting the Farm Barn, and visiting the Children's Farmyard. The place is just breathtaking.

I haven't taken them to The Shelburne Museum yet - but this Spring I'm going to suggest we go. It's right down the road. I'll use any excuse to visit either place, and bringing people who haven't been is really fun.

Telling people about these two places is a bit like trying to describe ice cream: if you haven't encountered ice cream before, a description isn't going to make a lot of sense "well, ...it's a dairy product, but it's frozen, see...) and after you've tried it, no explanation is needed.

There's a further difficulty trying to describe, and make a distinction between these two very different places though, and that's because they are both associated with the same family, and they are both in the same town - just a couple of miles apart.

I was happy to see today’s New York Times piece which, considering it's short length, offers a nice overview of Shelburne Farms and also mentions, almost in passing, The Shelburne Museum. It's not by the woman whose byline I usually see above this sort of piece in the times, but by a writer who's unfamiliar to me. I think she's done a nice job...

It's called "Gifts From The Gilded Age Of Vermont". It's in the 9/28/07 Times and it's on line as well...

David Beckett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
Thanks for the reference...nice article. Considering I've been going to VT almost every summer since I was 2 (geez...going on 33 years now), I'm ashamed to say I've never been there. When I was younger, our vacation consisted of staying in one area for the whole week and not doing much else...now when we go up, it's usually a weekend trip and time seems to get away so quickly. But it's on my list of places that we have to go to...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times
We should try to get a City-Data posse up ...and go together. Even half a dozen of us at once would be a blast!

We could organize it around one of the concerts at Shelburne Farms that are produced by Higher Ground every Summer. Garrison Keillor, B.B. King, Tracy Chapman, Willie Nelson, Bela Fleck, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, CSNY, and half a dozen other well-known performers have appeared there in the last few years. They set up a venue in a meadow and 2 days later the site looks completely as it did the week before - like an open meadow... Or we could organize it around The Mozart Festival, or the 10 day Burlington Discover Jazz Festival or around the foliage...

David Beckett

Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I helped a nice couple from TX move to VT recently, and we became friends.
The New England Culinary Institute drew them here initially, so after they got settled, I suggested we go to Breakfast at Shelburne Farms. I'd been telling them about The Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farms for a year or so...
We ended up making half a day of it, just wandering the shoreline, visiting the Farm Barn, and visiting the Children's Farmyard. The place is just breathtaking.

I haven't taken them to The Shelburne Museum yet - but this Spring I'm going to suggest we go. It's right down the road. I'll use any excuse to visit either place, and bringing people who haven't been is really fun.

Telling people about these two places is a bit like trying to describe ice cream: if you haven't encountered ice cream before, a description isn't going to make a lot of sense "well, ...it's a dairy product, but it's frozen, see...) and after you've tried it, no explanation is needed.

There's a further difficulty trying to describe, and make a distinction between these two very different places though, and that's because they are both associated with the same family, and they are both in the same town - just a couple of miles apart.

I was happy to see today’s New York Times piece which, considering it's short length, offers a nice overview of Shelburne Farms and also mentions, almost in passing, The Shelburne Museum. It's not by the woman whose byline I usually see above this sort of piece in the times, but by a writer who's unfamiliar to me. I think she's done a nice job...

It's called "Gifts From The Gilded Age Of Vermont". It's in the 9/28/07 Times and it's on line as well...

David Beckett
I lived in Vermont for a few years before I went to the Shelburne Museum. I was blown away. It was worth the price of admission just to see the display of circus figures. Incredible.

And this year they have a Shaker exhibit, one of my main interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT