Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times

Advertisements

Tax returns?
Profits vs losses?
Lease amounts?
Rental amounts of any equimpent (think some is owned and some is rented).
Contracts between employees and owners?

This is for a med-spa that has been around for at least 5 years. Owner is in her 60's and wants to retire and travel with husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Be careful with any business that relies on a list of potential clients. What happens if 2-3 of the employees decide to start their own spa and take their clients with them? I was looking into buying a printing business and after looking at everything, the only thing worth money was the client list, the equipment was old, employees were close to retirement and the location was in a horrible spot. So in order to make sure that I was buying a profitable business I asked the current owner to stick around for a year as an independent contractor that I paid with a percentage of the profits.

I laid out a plan where I would have paid the old owner 30% of the profit every year for three years. But the owner balked and six months later he was out of business. He wanted to make me buy the equipment and I told him to sell it and keep the profit. The guy was looking for an easy way out and thought his business was worth a lot more than it really was. He stuck to his guns and rode the business down the toilet and did not make a thing.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Google search for a "due diligence checklist." Start from there.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
1st do the above (Due Diligence)

get an appraisal of the business A Med-spa will have a significant value placed on staff / contracts / connections, and lenders will NOT trust that your NEW business will be equal to previous earnings.

BE SURE to get an appraisal of the market and growth potential (DO NOT trust seller to provide this).
Know your clients, market, skills, skill gaps, cash flow issues.

Get the full meal deal

COMPLETE audited set of books
Legal agreements with ANYONE (Hopefully employees have signed a non-compete contract, but YOU will need a fresh one)
Do a UCC report on equipment (Sec of State)
Check to verify all utilities and taxes have been paid current

Quiz the competition EXTENSIVELY

Be Careful and definitely don't rely on info given by seller. (I have seen many professional services sold under 'pressure' and then not perform anywhere near reported numbers). Detach from this emotionally and make a SOUND business decision. It WILL be your ONLY life for at least 5 yrs.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
As a real estate guy I have seen a fair number of business owners try to sell a "main street office" or retail type business and the property. Rarely does this work well for both buyer and seller. The seller probably bought building at a time when real estate was less expensive, or at least was able to improve the place slowly over time, while new owner has to shoulder that cost along with all the overhead of new business.

Even when renting the tendency is for the landlord to try to get prices inline with the revenue of previous business at peak, too high compared to almost inevitable fall off in revenue during transition.

I too think it is smart to make a LARGE PART of the selling price payable to the owner through some kind of "percentage of sales / profit consultating fee" payable over year AND verified by an independent CPA with qualifications / legal limitations.

If the seller balks then they need to understand that "liquidation value" is far lower than that of an "on going concern" and if they want VALUE for business it has to be functional not a "build it yourself kit with then instructions missing"...

Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times
Decided to pass because
1. They made excuse after excuse for why I was not able to see the 2010 taxes/losses/profits
2. The numbers they did show me I realized were not accurate.
Trust is #1 and seeing as we have done a lot for them, yet they were dishonest in this transaction I chose to not having anything to do with them.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,900 times
Good for you to pass on ANY opportunity that does NOT show where the money came from!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Decided to pass because
1. They made excuse after excuse for why I was not able to see the 2010 taxes/losses/profits
2. The numbers they did show me I realized were not accurate.
Trust is #1 and seeing as we have done a lot for them, yet they were dishonest in this transaction I chose to not having anything to do with them.
Well, nothing's keeping the 60 year old owner from retiring and traveling with her husband ...

But any business for sale that won't open all of it's recent books to a prospective purchaser isn't seriously for sale, only trolling for a sucker.

Good for you to have walked away from these folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business