Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 04:41 AM

315 posts, read 300,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

For those experienced leaders who have been in leadership positions for a while do you know if there are different frameworks/models for leadership? The one I studied extensively focuses on Total Ownership; Everything-Is-The-Leaders-Fault style. It is from the book Extreme Ownership: How Navy Seals Lead and Win. The author is Jocko Wilink who also runs the leadership development company Echelon Front.

Besides his method of leadership are there other methods/frameworks interested folks can learn and adopt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I started my first supervisory job at age 26, and had 23 direct reports. I never had any specific management training, just a degree and graduate work in psychology. I based my leadership style on my previous supervisors and managers. I emulated the best, and learned what not to do from the worst. Then as I became more experienced I modified based on changes in staff, employment law, and generational issues. When I started in my 20s I had people in their 60s reporting to me, now at 71 all of my team are 24-32. I'm finally about to retire after 45 years as a manager.

Old 04-04-2024, 06:01 PM

315 posts, read 300,298 times
that's basically known as trial and error. I was more of inquiring about the professional frameworks from the leadership industry.

Old 04-18-2024, 08:59 AM

8,662 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Besides his method of leadership are there other methods/frameworks interested folks can learn and adopt?
Quote:
I was more of inquiring about the professional frameworks from the leadership industry.
An industry leader is the term used to describe a company that is the most effective in its industry. That said, I assume you are speaking to (adopting) the basic principles in leading one’s self first (as opposed to leading people and/or an organization) i.e. learning, emotional intelligence, feedback, values, self-reflection and so on.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Hi all.

Age old Bill and Dave model still works pretty well for managers willing to get out of the way!

One of their later models (from the 1970s). Management by Wandering Around. One night after midnight, they wandered up behind me, diligently at my workstation. We had an interesting and stimulating conversation, while I continued to work.

I had over 30 different managers. 2 were great, most were worthless and counterproductive to employee and company success. Studied a lot of them in an executive MBA program. Most are clueless, and lucky if effective. But it's very simple and nearly effortless to be a good manager and leader. Set the captives free and get out of their way.

One of my kid's is CFO/COO, and another is an executive director of a pretty large Non-profit. We have a few enlightening discussions regarding leadership/ workforce management. But usually it drives back to achieving company goals through effective utilization of available resources. (Always limited by human potential). You can choose to restrict that potential.... Or release it.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:23 AM

8,662 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I had over 30 different managers. 2 were great, most were worthless and counterproductive to employee and company success. Studied a lot of them in an executive MBA program. Most are clueless, and lucky if effective. But it's very simple and nearly effortless to be a good manager and leader. Set the captives free and get out of their way.
There’s a huge difference between a manager vs. an executive in terms of leadership; hence my previous point/question for the OP. That said, EMBA programs are structured for current executives/leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
One of my kid's is CFO/COO
It’s extremely rare for one executive to effectively handle both roles; that said, his title would be CFOO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business