Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM

14 posts, read 130,024 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, me and my mother might be moving to Ca, but we have no idea where to start, so I need some suggestions please.

OK, so we are from Memphis and me and my mom lived there all are lives, but after the economy went down hill we had to go to San Antonio to live with my grandfather until my mom could find work and it wasn't that bad, err...well my grandfather wasn't and SA wasn't that great either,but anyway.....

It lasted for a few years,but work started to slow up so it was time too move on,so she did some calling and got a job offer down in FL so we headed back east and right when we we're almost there the oil spill happened and she managed to get a job through a company that works for BP and pay is much better than the one FL so we stayed in Gulfport,MS.

But, through work she has found out how dangerous the oil really is especially after the chemicals they put into the oil trying to remove it, so now there isn't a shadow of a doubt this stuff could kill you and I don't want to be here when a hurricane washes it all up!

So the company she works for is based in Ca and they are all over the state and we should be able to relocate through the company so we are saving up and should be heading that way in a few months.So I'm sorry for the novel I think think I drifted into into I'm so bad about doing this!

ANYWAY, back to the question, where do you think is the best place to live for us?I'd like alot suggestions because I love seeing new places so please tell me!

And please tell me about the place,
Tell how good/bad it is dealing with the public,(hopefully better than SA and Memphis)
What's the climate like,(it is VERY humid here it's 96 and has been dark for hours)
What is the cost of renting a house or apt.
And crime,where to live and not to ect, ect.

Anyway thanks for reading my novel and thanks for answering my question!

THANK-YOU!

-Devyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devyn f. View Post

the company she works for is based in Ca and they are all over the state and we should be able to relocate

where do you think is the best place to live for us?
What does "all over the state" mean?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 PM

577 posts, read 1,758,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What does "all over the state" mean?

Yea you need to be more specific than just saying you want to move to CA. It's a huge state with a lot of different areas and weather. It's not all beaches and Hollywood. I'm not sure I'd assume your mom can transfer with the company since CA has the 3rd largest unemployment rate within the states. It's also not the cheapest place to live... Your money will go farther where you are I'm sure. Your specific questions could be answered completely different in 20 different places all over this state.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Tell how good/bad it is dealing with the public,(hopefully better than SA and Memphis)
What's the climate like,(it is VERY humid here it's 96 and has been dark for hours)
What is the cost of renting a house or apt.
And crime,where to live and not to ect, ect.
Assuming you mean in the context of a customer service or retail job, dealing with the public sucks no matter where you are.

The climate varies from hot, dry desert to mountains with hundreds of inches of snow each winter to damp, foggy coastlines to nearly 70F year-round. It all depends where you are.

Costs for a house or apartment can range from a few hundred a month to a few thousand. It all depends where you are.

Crime varies from literally the safest suburbs in the country to dangerous ghettos. It all depends where you are.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Well the last place I care about is Hollywood and I do like beaches,but my life is all about studing and trying to work to get into best college that I can and far as ''all over the state'' the company is based in California and is in most cities and if their not they get sent out there for a contract, My mom is a tech and they handle everything from cleaning up homes that requires biohazard team to dealing with chems in factory and alot of stuff in between.

Look I know I didn't provide alot of info, wrote alot, but didn't narrow it down to a certain area.

Ok, Im living in 100% humidity so places like that can be cut out,what would that be? I know the farther you go north the worse it gets so no northern then.
I'm in the most backwoods place I've ever seen ,I'm in the the bayou and the place I'm living has De Soto National Forest behind it and I hear some weird noises at night so no rural towns under a 100,000 people.
So let's try some cities in Southern and Central Ca.

The work thing is fine,she has already been talking it over with her boss so it's fine, they have locations all over the state so any major or medium sized city is covered for sure.

She makes over 60,000 a year as a tech so we're not broke especially in Mississippi.

So just name a city and tell me about it, please. I'm not tryin to be any certain way I just want locals insight thats it, it's a new world to me, I'm a kid, I don't know much about CA outside what you hear and see on TV, the thought of going som far and going into the unknown freaks me out,but my mom is dead set on leaving ,I just wish it was it closer, but it is the only place that she go. And it's go or stay,so please help? That's all I got,sorry,I'm in a panic....

Last edited by devyn f.; 06-22-2010 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 AM

425 posts, read 1,955,343 times
$60,000 in California is a lot different than it is in Mississippi. Not saying you're going to be in the poorhouse, but your mom's not going to be putting you through Stanford on that salary, either.

I think it would be better off for you and your mom to stay where you're at for now. Considering the fact that you said the only know about California from what you have heard and seen on TV tells me you and your mother should really reconsider moving here sight unseen. You both should really visit California first and then make your decision.

That all said, if you can't even think of a single city in the state of California that you and your mom would like to live in, then you really don't need to be moving here. Most people who post here give at least some details on what they want and more often then not, ask about specific cities/counties. They're not coming here asking to start naming cities and talking about them. How are we supposed to know what you like from what little you have said here?

I am wondering if this is a troll post...

Old 06-22-2010, 01:20 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
In NorCal, avoid places like Oakland, Richmond, and Vallejo.

In SoCal, avoid places like South and East L.A.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I am still a little confused but that's ok. I would think her company, if they really are able to transfer anywhere would be giving her some suggestions. Wow, $60,000 in Ms is a heck of a lot of money. It will be enough to survive on in California but won't get you 1/2 of what is does in Ms or did the other places you have lived.

I don't know how old you are and am glad to hear you want to get into a good university eventually. So, schools should be a top priority.

You won't have to really woory much about humidity compared to the places you have lived. All are much more humid than almost anyplace in California.

Of course the ideal location for you would probably be 1-San Diego and 2-the central valley, maybe somewhere like Fresno. Sna Diego is a lovely place to live, but maybe a little higher priced than you are thinking of. Fresno is hot during the summer, but not humid. You might want to think about places like Ventura as well.

Just remember, Ca is much larger than anyplace you have lived except maybe Fl and has every life style, type of weather and demographics you can imagine.

What are your interests and have you and your mom discussed how much you think you can afford for housing. That might be the final decision.

You say your mom can transfer anywhere, but that is one of the things that is a bit confusing: with the market as bad as it is in Ca, I find it strange every location the company has in Ca would be able to find a place for her.

Nita

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
but my life is all about studing
Keep studing.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

OK, I'm not a troll,lol. But, I'm very confused and freaked out, look I know I'm confusing you guys,but I don't know what to do. Up and moving to places we know nothing about has been our style not the kind I care for,but it's just what we had to do to get by, so that is just how it's been.

And there is actually openings there, do to the fact that alot of people have been called from CA and for some reason people in Ms haven't served as good employees,maybe lack exp? I don't know,but alot of people are staying because it is so dirt cheap here so there losing emplyees over there, but gulfport and the rest of the gulf coast cities are about to become dangerous place to live with all the oil and chemicals and this whole city is based around the ocean so there is no way to not be close to it, her boss said people are going get real sick from this especially everyone that gets beach cleaning duty they are the most at risk, this stuff is HIGHLY toxic, so my mom doesn't even want to consider staying so that is out of my hands.

Sorry that I,haven't provided alot of info to help, but one thing that does help and makes me feel better is Mike, a friend mine just came to town this morning and he is from Ca and has offered us a place to stay he owns a house in San Diego . He's like a father figure, he has stayed with us when he was out of town so it's no big deal and my mom can transfer there no prob so everything has been talked over with her boss and it's all alright so things are looking somewhat better.

So what is San Diego like? The job site isn't right directly in the city,but it's close.

So, what do you guys think of it?The only thing Mike told me was it's hot, it's exspensive and close to the border and starts laughing.
So does anybody have any better info on San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California