Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM

102 posts, read 587,628 times

Advertisements

So I just wanted to see if anyone has living experience is both these areas and could give there input and compare the two. I've Lived in Visalia almost all my life, so I know V-town and Fresno pretty well, and Bakersfield to some extent. I love the central coast as far as Atascadero to Pismo goes, but have not ventured far from those areas. As many know Atascadero, SLO, Pismo are not cheap places to live. I have noticed that SM and Lompoc are significantly cheaper than the later. As my wife and I are currently educators, SLO/Atascadero may be a little out of our reach. So, if you "HAD" Choose between say Visalia and Santa Maria, which would it be? I know which is more expensive, but which has worst crime? Worst Polution? Worst entertainment? It may be a few years, 2-4 before I could make the move, so which city is headed down the right path/ improving? Thoughtful insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 AM

101 posts, read 581,844 times
Since you haven't had a response yet--I'll jump in.

I think you know the advantages of Fresno and Visalia (cheaper housing, prox. to Yosemite, Three Rivers, Sequoia etc) plus Visalia has a great downtown, the new sports park, lots of new shopping.

But the central coast is one of the best places on earth. My parents retired to Lompoc (Vandenberg Village) and loved every minute they lived there. Orcutt is putting in a huge new housing area--check it out. Great weather, short drive to SLO and beaches--plus Santa Maria bbq any time you want it.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM

102 posts, read 587,628 times
Thanks, do you have any idea how the crime/gang problems in Santa Maria compare to Visalia? I know people complain about it alot. As big as the problems can be in visalia, they are usually localized to certain parts of town. Is it the same in Santa Maria/Orcutt?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM

66 posts, read 110,772 times
Santa Maria is known as Fresno on the Pacific, if that is any help. Santa Maria is a farming town, farming requires lots of low paid workers, low paid workers can be a social burden. South Santa Maria and Orcutt are the better parts of town. The area is not particularly cultural, but it is close to good areas, as Visalia is close to the Sierrra

Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM

142 posts, read 524,035 times
I've lived in Santa Maria all my life. I would say Santa Barbara has more of a gang problem then Santa Maria. Not once have I ever had any encounter with anything or anyone associated with gangs. That being said, I would also agree that the south side of Santa Maria is the most desireable place to buy a home.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
ejv

18 posts, read 65,015 times
Is Santa Maria In So Cal??

Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM

128 posts, read 781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejv View Post
Is Santa Maria In So Cal??
No. Good god no. It's in the Central Coast (but not on the water). A twin city of Bakersfield: rough around the edges all the way to the center.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM

22 posts, read 101,635 times
Default Santa Maria/Orcutt Resident

Santa Maria may be the stepchild of Santa Barbara County but it is a great place to retire for many (great weather, nothing extreme) and a decent place to raise a family. Orcutt is a desirable suburb of the Santa Maria Valley. Petty crime if any, great award winning schools and a family community. We are within close driving distance to Pismo Beach, San luis Obispo and Santa Barbara. SM may not have much as far as fine dining, shopping and cultural arts(there is some)however,like I said you are a stones throw away from what you need. We do offer some gems of the central coast, like one mentioned before, Santa Maria Style BBQ, PCPA Theatre, The Great American Melodrama (Oceano) and a sense of community when it counts, something that is lost in todays world. It does have its share of crime but one would say it is localized within certain areas of SM and we do have our share of bad drivers and speeding, inexperianced teens.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM

63 posts, read 217,960 times
It's Santa Maria, hands down! Who needs the Central Valley's summer heat and smog and winter's fog and smog, Not too far from S.B. or SLO eitherr. It's great, I've been thru there many times.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 24,630 times
I Think Visalia Is Hands Down The Better City Over Santa Maria.
It Has Everything Here In One Town. Great Downtown,good Medical,
Cheaper Housing,awesome Resturants. About The Only Thing Santa Maria Has Is Cooler Weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California